Maturi: U Lucky to Have Smith

Thanks. Key point:

“We’re going ahead with the policy we put together,” he said. “It’s the right thing for the long term health of Gopher basketball and Gopher athletics. And that program has been four years in the making. We already delayed it one year. We’ll go forward with it.”

As usual Selection Sunday is right.

No specifics as to how the basketball program will be improved as a result of our loyalty. Just need more money for the health fo Gopher athletics. Here's to a bigger expense account for the women's team!

Maturi is as clueless as they come. Tubby has his name recognition left, but nothing more. It's time for a change; we need some fresh blood.

It sounds like he has already forecasted the additional revenue into the budget which should be okay for next year. They will be walking on egg shells next year though, if the season starts to go south like it is this year they could be in trouble.

the athletic department constant need for additional revenue rivals the college system as a whole. There is never a thought about doing more with the money they already have or having to get the same job done with a drop in revenue like some other business have to do.

the athletic department constant need for additional revenue rivals the college system as a whole. There is never a thought about doing more with the money they already have or having to get the same job done with a drop in revenue like some other business have to do.

In business, you keep up with your competition, even if it means making investments in facilities.

"without focus, mediocrity reigns"

maturi is completing his mission to have Minnesota be the best Mediocre Athletic program in the country.......

We're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy.....

Maturi could improve his public image if he simply went mute for 6 months. Honestly, I never see him say anything that makes me think 'Good point, Joel.'

As hiring Tubby was the single positive act he has been credited with, what else is he going to say. Now that even the Tubby hiring is proving to be a negative Joel has absolutely nothing to point to during his tenure (save TCF Bank Stadium which he can't fill).

The Minnesota athletics department is in an awful state thanks in large part to Joels inept leadership.

Agreed. Although his lineup substitutions can be mind-boggling, Tubby is an excellent role model and mentor to his players as well as an above-average B1G coach.

"Two of the conference losses this winter have been by a combined seven points, and another defeat was a nine point double overtime loss at Illinois." - J. Maturi

Ooo. I can play this game!

"Three of the non-conference wins were by a combined eight points, and one of the exhibition wins was by two points" - Me

Bingo

[QUOTE=sec105;484283]As hiring Tubby was the single positive act he has been credited with, what else is he going to say. Now that even the Tubby hiring is proving to be a negative Joel has absolutely nothing to point to during his tenure (save TCF Bank Stadium which he can't fill).

The Minnesota athletics department is in an awful state thanks in large part to Joels inept leadership.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head.....As a long time season ticket holder I have tried to gleen any sense of an AD that gets the big picture as far as the overall health of the athletics department. In his tenure as AD, Mr. Maturi has proceded to squander much of the TCF Buzz surrounding the football program with the Tim Brewster debacle. Which was painfully expensive.
The Monson debacle was incredible. Anyone that was at the barn the night that Maturi introduced Tim Brewster and was nearly booed off the floor of Williams while Molinari was the interum basketball head coach can remember. That too was painfully expensive.

The Tubby Smith hiring, which at the time was widely viewed as a positive, he still managed to screw up with the Jimmy Williams debacle, which again was painfully expensive.

Now add the point system as a slap in the face to many longtime loyal basketball season ticket holders and you have yet another example of a very expensive Joel Maturi screw up. I did not renew my season tickets because of Mr. Joel Maturi this year after many years at the Barn, and apparently I'm not alone after reading the attendance numbers from the first two conference games. Again an expensive screw up. I hope he enjoyes the Wisconsin home games that will be played at the Barn for the forseeable future.

Had there even been serious conversation about a practice facility which would elevate the program when Tubby is long gone for many years to come, and help the basketball program continue to churn out large revenues for the rest of the athletics department, I may still be a season ticket holder this year. Unfortunately a short sighted cash grab from a man with the mindset of a half rate accountant will never come close to the vision neccesary to elevate the Gopher athletics department beyond painfully mediocre.

Well told.

Nail on the head.....As a long time season ticket holder I have tried to gleen any sense of an AD that gets the big picture as far as the overall health of the athletics department. In his tenure as AD, Mr. Maturi has proceded to squander much of the TCF Buzz surrounding the football program with the Tim Brewster debacle. Which was painfully expensive.
The Monson debacle was incredible. Anyone that was at the barn the night that Maturi introduced Tim Brewster and was nearly booed off the floor of Williams while Molinari was the interum basketball head coach can remember. That too was painfully expensive.

The Tubby Smith hiring, which at the time was widely viewed as a positive, he still managed to screw up with the Jimmy Williams debacle, which again was painfully expensive.

Now add the point system as a slap in the face to many longtime loyal basketball season ticket holders and you have yet another example of a very expensive Joel Maturi screw up. I did not renew my season tickets because of Mr. Joel Maturi this year after many years at the Barn, and apparently I'm not alone after reading the attendance numbers from the first two conference games. Again an expensive screw up. I hope he enjoyes the Wisconsin home games that will be played at the Barn for the forseeable future.

Had there even been serious conversation about a practice facility which would elevate the program when Tubby is long gone for many years to come, and help the basketball program continue to churn out large revenues for the rest of the athletics department, I may still be a season ticket holder this year. Unfortunately a short sighted cash grab from a man with the mindset of a half rate accountant will never come close to the vision neccesary to elevate the Gopher athletics department beyond painfully mediocre.

That's a heck of a first post - and I'm with you 100%. Let me add that 'Badger Joel' used to be simply an amusing moniker but now it rings more of a motif of despair. The sooner Mr. Maturi is no more than a bad memory the sooner the good memories can be made.

And the U is VERY unlucky to have you as AD Joel.

And the U is VERY unlucky to have you as AD Joel.

Agreed, if the basketball team fails to win 18 and the hockey team doesn't win a national championship, then football, basketball, and hockey will all have had a worse season than the season preceding Maturi's reign. In fairness, hockey can't win a title every year, so it is tough to keep the team on that level, but it has missed the tourney a couple years in a row and has been tumbling this year since hitting #1 early.

I don't get the sense that Joel is the least bit worried about the health of the program and what's going to happen with attendance next year. He's not an alum, and this isn't even his favorite Big Ten team, so I guess why would he be worried?

I don't get the sense that Joel is the least bit worried about the health of the program and what's going to happen with attendance next year. He's not an alum, and this isn't even his favorite Big Ten team, so I guess why would he be worried?

Agree. As long as the budget is balanced, he's fine with everything. That's always been his primary concern imo. Other than that, he's probably losing the most sleep over the Badgers' clock management problems in football and basketball.

Agree. As long as the budget is balanced, he's fine with everything. That's always been his primary concern imo. Other than that, he's probably losing the most sleep over the Badgers' clock management problems in football and basketball.

If attendance really suffers, it's reasonable to bus to all road games except OSU, PSU and the Michigan schools. Short-fall solved! :cool:

The good thing about keeping Joel & Tubby is you should always be able to get good seats

As hiring Tubby was the single positive act he has been credited with, what else is he going to say. Now that even the Tubby hiring is proving to be a negative Joel has absolutely nothing to point to during his tenure (save TCF Bank Stadium which he can't fill).

The Minnesota athletics department is in an awful state thanks in large part to Joels inept leadership.

I might have come across a good Maturi hire-- did he hire Brenda (Oldfield) Friese? he might have had that one right.

I might have come across a good Maturi hire-- did he hire Brenda (Oldfield) Friese? he might have had that one right.

No. He didn't. He did hire Pam Borton though. And Tim Brewster. So there's that.

I won't gaive the name, but at the Cragun's Golf Outing this summer in Brainerd in casual converstion a well known alum said: " Joel gives lip sevice to U of M
alums. What really pisses the minions off is that he always seems too incorporate Badger lore in conversations about the U. I have no doubt Paul Giel rolls over in his grave everytime Maturi speaks" I've talked to Maturi several times at golf outings, bowl games, etc. and IMO he comes across as aloof and a total gum shoe. He loves to go into the smallest details about how the U has a well rounded athletic program. As my wife said, He would be great as a tax consultant for H&R Block, or running programs into the ground for the IRRRB on the Iron Range. I certainly won't shed a tear when he retires.

so we are back to him retaining John Anderson and J Robinson as his best accomplishments? yeesh

Retained. Lol. They've both threatened to quit multiple times. Anderson because the baseball stadium ol' Joel promised him 10 years ago is still a drawing and Robinson..well I'm not sure why, he's just a different guy. Either way, Joel's done nothing to retain them, they just don't really want to leave.

I won't gaive the name, but at the Cragun's Golf Outing this summer in Brainerd in casual converstion a well known alum said: " Joel gives lip sevice to U of M
alums. What really pisses the minions off is that he always seems too incorporate Badger lore in conversations about the U. I have no doubt Paul Giel rolls over in his grave everytime Maturi speaks" I've talked to Maturi several times at golf outings, bowl games, etc. and IMO he comes across as aloof and a total gum shoe. He loves to go into the smallest details about how the U has a well rounded athletic program. As my wife said, He would be great as a tax consultant for H&R Block, or running programs into the ground for the IRRRB on the Iron Range. I certainly won't shed a tear when he retires.

So it's not our imagination - indeed it's probably worse than we've been imagining. The sooner we're rid of this clown, the better.

I read in Shooter's column a couple weeks ago that Mark Dienhart has had something like 5 or 6 national coaches of the year at St. Thomas since he's been the AD there. That's both a product of hiring the right people as well as leading them effectively. As I've harped on before, it makes an amazing amount of difference how good of a boss you have.

Top Bottom