Player 1   12.9    9.3     4.2
Player 2   12.8    2.3     4.6
Player 3   15.2    3.4     2.9

Can you put names with the numbers?

Royce White
Justin Cobbs
Devoe Joseph

Too easy.

However, in our offense, you can cut all of those averages in half.

I beg to differ. Royce's rebound average would go up.

The most astonishing stat of those 9 listed is this: 2.9. (do missed shots count as assists in the Pac-12?)

I am never concerned about a coach when players leave, if I never hear much about them again. If a coach has a fair number of players leave that become a lot better elsewhere- that's a problem unless it is the result of an embarrassment of riches (squads overloaded with talent). Obviously Royce White is a special situation that likely has nothing to do with Tubby, but the others.... Joseph, Cobbs and even Paul Carter.... those are concerning. I will guess that Iverson surprises next year as well.

this maybe off topic but---I was looking for leading scorers over the years in the game program and couldn't find it so if some research guy can do some investigation for me I would appreciate it. Thinking in regards to recruiting and what kids want to hear about why go to a school or play for a coach. What is the average points per game for the leading scorer on Tubbys teams over the years? If I were a 4 or 5 star recruit and see averages of 13 points and 27 minutes as highs it might influence my decision greatly.

this maybe off topic but---I was looking for leading scorers over the years in the game program and couldn't find it so if some research guy can do some investigation for me I would appreciate it. Thinking in regards to recruiting and what kids want to hear about why go to a school or play for a coach. What is the average points per game for the leading scorer on Tubbys teams over the years? If I were a 4 or 5 star recruit and see averages of 13 points and 27 minutes as highs it might influence my decision greatly.

It would take some research to over Tubby's whole career, but no one has exceeded 13+ points per game in his time here.

It would take some research to over Tubby's whole career, but no one has exceeded 13+ points per game in his time here.

You must mean over their career...because plenty have done it in one season.

And considering approximately 5 players have done that in the history of the program (Thompson, Burton, Breuer, Jacobson and McHale...and possibly Quincy), that's not much of a statement.

Roster attrition is part of college basketball. Some people here think the Gophers are the only team in the country afftected by transfers, suspensions, etc.

It happens everywhere....

I guess what I would say is that people can complain about roster turnover/management, or they can complain about recruiting, but don't complain about both. If you look strictly at recruiting and set aside the defections, Smith has recruited enough talent to compete for a conference title. This year we have two freshmen who were Mister Basketballs in their states. Yes, turnover is part of the game, but this is way more than normal. The more I think about it, when you consider the injuries and defections, the 0-4 record isn't a big surprise. Maybe the surprise is that we were close to winning three of them.

Not trying to be an apologist, just an analyst. This drumbeat of complaining about crappy recruiting just doesn't hold water in my opinion. As people have noted, it's just that the defections have caused Tubby to have to dip into the Spring signing period barrel a few times too many.

You must mean over their career...because plenty have done it in one season.

And considering approximately 5 players have done that in the history of the program (Thompson, Burton, Breuer, Jacobson and McHale...and possibly Quincy), that's not much of a statement.

Under Tubby- no one here has averaged as much as 14 points per game for a whole year. Through Minnesota history there are tons of players that have averaged far more than that.

I guess what I would say is that people can complain about roster turnover/management, or they can complain about recruiting, but don't complain about both. If you look strictly at recruiting and set aside the defections, Smith has recruited enough talent to compete for a conference title. This year we have two freshmen who were Mister Basketballs in their states. Yes, turnover is part of the game, but this is way more than normal. The more I think about it, when you consider the injuries and defections, the 0-4 record isn't a big surprise. Maybe the surprise is that we were close to winning three of them.

Not trying to be an apologist, just an analyst. This drumbeat of complaining about crappy recruiting just doesn't hold water in my opinion. As people have noted, it's just that the defections have caused Tubby to have to dip into the Spring signing period barrel a few times too many.

Recruiting- in my mind- does not end with the arrival on campus of the recruit. To me these are the aspects of recruiting:

A)Getting talent to come here
B)Having the talent fit the coaching scheme (or be willing to adjust to the players)
C)Balancing the roster with the right blend of talent (shooters/athletes/physical players/leaders)
D)Assessing risk of early departure due to academics, behavior, NBA, personality fit with coach, or injury issues

On item A- I'd say he gets a 'B' or better maybe even an A
Item B- still not too bad
Item C- not good at all
Item D- not good

Recruiting- in my mind- does not end with the arrival on campus of the recruit. To me these are the aspects of recruiting:

A)Getting talent to come here
B)Having the talent fit the coaching scheme (or be willing to adjust to the players)
C)Balancing the roster with the right blend of talent (shooters/athletes/physical players/leaders)
D)Assessing risk of early departure due to academics, behavior, NBA, personality fit with coach, or injury issues

On item A- I'd say he gets a 'B' or better maybe even an A
Item B- still not too bad
Item C- not good at all
Item D- not good

To that I'd add Item E: re-recruiting players who are homesick or thinking of transferring for whatever reason(s). Clem always used to talk about what it took to keep the family together, and in retrospect he wasn't just blowing smoke. That seems to be a big part of the gig. Tubby strikes me as a stubborn guy and someone who's more liable to tell you to not let the door hit your butt on the way out.

Under Tubby- no one here has averaged as much as 14 points per game for a whole year. Through Minnesota history there are tons of players that have averaged far more than that.

I was referring to Tubby's players at other schools-- has he ever given anyone (Mav excluded) the playing time and free reign to be a big-time scorer?

Top Bottom