Worst stat of the game: 11,761

anonymous

Reaction score
Here's the stat that has to have Maturi and the administration most concerned: The announced attendance was 11,761.

When the topic of attendance was brought up to some Gophers backers, the people I talked to claimed it would get better once Big Ten play started.

The announced crowd for Wednesday's Big Ten home opener was about 2,000 less than capacity. Today's crowd was nearly 3,000 short of full.

I wasn't at the game and listened to more of it than I saw, so I don't know how accurate that number was. But if they are announcing nearly 3,000 short of full, I can only imagine what the place looked like. Especially for a weekend game that wasn't an 8 p.m. tip.

Make that 11,760. The guy behind me that was reading the paper the entire game shouldn't count.

Here's the stat that has to have Maturi and the administration most concerned: The announced attendance was 11,761.

When the topic of attendance was brought up to some Gophers backers, the people I talked to claimed it would get better once Big Ten play started.

The announced crowd for Wednesday's Big Ten home opener was about 2,000 less than capacity. Today's crowd was nearly 3,000 short of full.

I wasn't at the game and listened to more of it than I saw, so I don't know how accurate that number was. But if they are announcing nearly 3,000 short of full, I can only imagine what the place looked like. Especially for a weekend game that wasn't an 8 p.m. tip.

Funny you should mention this - because I said that this was one of the worst crowds I've seen for a Big 10 game in my 15 years of going to games. Aside from that partial Monson year...I don't think it has ever been this bad in my tenure. The past few years, it got off to a rough start, but come Big 10 season, it was pretty full.

I posted pics of the game right after tipoff:
https://twitter.com/#!/NadineBabu/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com/BiiNn7ZQ

And with about 40 seconds left to go:
https://twitter.com/#!/NadineBabu/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com/j7a5Jh5Z

This game just beat out the NDSU attendance of 11,681.

That is sad. I live out of state now and almost never get back in town for a game. Sure would love to though.

I know our team has struggled, but I can't believe attendance has gotten that bad.

When will Tubby be chastised by the "fans" for the declining attendance? Be consistent "fans".....

When will Tubby be chastised by the "fans" for the declining attendance? Be consistent "fans".....

Not sure you are going to find any pro-tubby posts this week. Try reading a little bit next time before you reflexively lash out.

5:00 pm game on a Sunday fits right with the "old timers". Can't believe the NFL playoffs had anything to do with 3,000 below capacity. Weather a non-factor for every home game so far this year. Bill Mussleman is rolling over in his grave. I remember the game against Al McGiure's Marquette team when they were ranked the #1 teami in the country tickets out on the street were going for 200.00. You can buy a ticket out front for the Gophers for 10.00. If they continue to lose they will go too the "anounced crowd" numbers ( season ticket sold ) I'm glad I was part of the Golden Years at Williams Arena when it was considered the "Broadway of College basketball" I have said poster. I feel bad for the younger crowd of ticket holders. For you guys I wish we could do a time warp back to those golden years. Man, it was special.

Make that 11,760. The guy behind me that was reading the paper the entire game shouldn't count.

11,758-- the guy in front of me looking at 2234 pictures of Tim Tebow and forwarding most of them to someone and the guy beside me looking at antiques on Craigs list. He must have found something good cuz he left with about 12 minutes left. At least his wife apologized for leaving early, or spilling my popcorn, I couldn't tell which.

You can buy a ticket out front for the Gophers for 10.00.

Are you just assuming this? I agree that you should be able to, but I sat outside the barn during the NDSU game the cheapest the scalpers would give us is $60/ticket. They all collaborate together as well as that was the price on both sides as well. Cheapest they would go was $40/ticket and that was with 10min left in 1st half. A couple of them said they would rather tear up their tickets than sell them to us for less than face value.

Are you just assuming this? I agree that you should be able to, but I sat outside the barn during the NDSU game the cheapest the scalpers would give us is $60/ticket. They all collaborate together as well as that was the price on both sides as well. Cheapest they would go was $40/ticket and that was with 10min left in 1st half. A couple of them said they would rather tear up their tickets than sell them to us for less than face value.

a) Using a game where the visiting team is within stumbling distance is a bad example.
b) That's what the *scalpers* are selling them for. You need to buy your tickets from the people that are selling to the scalpers.

If you look hard enough, from someone that's not a scalper, one can get in the building for $10 or $15.

Top Bottom