Positives?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Well...I know the board will be in meltdown mode, and probably justifiably so...but how about a few positives?

1. Williams with 19 and 14
2. Coleman always attacking, 14 pts, 6 rebs, 3 steals, 2 assists and only 1 TO. I think he proved that giving him more playing time was a really good move (even though the vast majority of his 21 min were in the 2nd half, he only played 6 in the first).
3. After going with the guards in the 2nd half, better 3 pt defense. Purdue went 10-12 from 3 in 1st half, didn't make a 3 the rest of the game.
4. Tubby finally not afraid to bench RSIII for the rest of the game after he looked like he really didn't want to be out there

Truth be told, I'm really disappointed with the coaching and product on the floor right now, but I thought I'd throw one positive thread out there.

I liked the press. Half court D will not win the team any games. Andre was ok, and he won't get any better on the bench.

Yeah, Rodney. Led the team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, minutes played. Coleman got to the line 6 times.

regardless of how the team came into the current state it is finding positives over the next couple seasons is probably all there is to look for. wins and losses in conference play at this point are meaningless.

looking for improved play of the sophs and freshmen and hopefully the coaching staff will let them play through their mistakes and make them better in the long run. the recruiting will need to pick up too but my only question would be does the head coach have the desire and the energy to rebuild the program after 5 years in.

Don't forget to mention Armelin among the positives....let's hope he builds on this.

Nice to see Rodney starting to play to his potential...and Coleman should definitely play 30 minutes a game from here on out.

Im hoping Tubby is finally seeing what the rest of Minnesota can see...Time to end the Ahanmisi era as a starter...

I can't say enough about Rodney. The kid has absolutely busted his tail ever since Mbakwe went down.

I can't say enough about Rodney. The kid has absolutely busted his tail ever since Mbakwe went down.
Positives:
Rodney played great
Coleman as well
Armelin
and.... Tubby started playing Andre Hollins more. It's time to see it he can develop. The mistakes are going to be brutal at times but I saw some positives where he started to play tougher ball.

I like how we played in the second half- lousy defense in the half court but they played with energy and they went for broke with the press and it worked. Overall I like what Tubby tried to do today. We just are not very good.

Positives:

1. Rodney - he's really stepped up and I know some will laugh at me, but a game like this shows why he'll at a minimum test the waters. He has a lot to work on before he gets to the next level, but he also has a lot to work with.

2. Coleman. I hope he continues to get more PT.

3. Chip. He has some bad games, but I continue to like what he brings to this team. I wish he'd play better D (same with Coleman) but I like his style and aggressiveness.

4. The halftime show. Not having seen any other dance team, I can't imagine many our better than ours.

5. Post game traffic. With so many fans leaving early, I was able to get home 25 minutes faster than normal tonight.

6. The last positive. I'm glad we don't have to face Purdue at home again. That wasn't competitive.

Go Gophers!!

Coleman looks like a player. Rodney is competing and getting better.

Chip won't get more PT until he plays better defense. He is absolutely horrible on the defensive end. The only players that deserve praise today are Coleman and Rodney. However, while Dre had a tough game I am not against giving him more PT as he needs this to develop since his ceiling is much higher than other guys like Mav

regardless of how the team came into the current state it is finding positives over the next couple seasons is probably all there is to look for. wins and losses in conference play at this point are meaningless.

looking for improved play of the sophs and freshmen and hopefully the coaching staff will let them play through their mistakes and make them better in the long run. the recruiting will need to pick up too but my only question would be does the head coach have the desire and the energy to rebuild the program after 5 years in.

Pretty much how I feel. I liked the energy in the second half. No use continuing on being surly. It is what it is, and I'm just going to try to enjoy the games while watching individual players develop.

The Gophers made Purdue shoot just 9/19 from the line. :confused:

Rodney looked pissed and did something about it. Other games he's looked pissed and confounded. Was the leader out there today.

Coleman did some of the good things he does. He'll improve with time.. will be a solid player.

PS - Indiana is beatable.

Dont kid yourself! That is going to be a 20+ point beatdown. Indiana shoots the three better than Purdue.

only winnable games left are Nebraska and Northwestern at home.

The Gophers made Purdue shoot just 9/19 from the line. :confused:

Rodney looked pissed and did something about it. Other games he's looked pissed and confounded. Was the leader out there today.

Coleman did some of the good things he does. He'll improve with time.. will be a solid player.

Agreed on Williams - he is learning to deal with the emotional aspect of the game and come out on top (tho his slam that wasn't may have been frustration). His defensive rebounding tonight was great, Offensive rebounding-wise, w/o a center we were screwed. He dealt well with Hummel IMO.

Coleman showed why he shouldn't be on the bench. While he made mistakes, he made amends for his errors.

Chip won't get more PT until he plays better defense. He is absolutely horrible on the defensive end. The only players that deserve praise today are Coleman and Rodney. However, while Dre had a tough game I am not against giving him more PT as he needs this to develop since his ceiling is much higher than other guys like Mav

Too much hating on Chip. Chip created a couple of turnovers if you watch the DVR, plus aggressive fronting for most of the second half.

Dont kid yourself! That is going to be a 20+ point beatdown. Indiana shoots the three better than Purdue.
only winnable games left are Nebraska and Northwestern at home.

Do you think they'll shoot better than Purdue did tonight? It's not often a team attempts 15 3s and makes 67% of them.

jamalo said:
Too much hating on Chip. Chip created a couple of turnovers if you watch the DVR, plus aggressive fronting for most of the second half.

Chips defensive issue is playing d away from the ball. He (as well as others) failed to rotate to 3 point shooters in the first half. Purdue was hot, yes, but Minnesota needed to step up the D too.

I've seen a lot of Gopher dance team performances, but tonight's took the cake. I think they've taken it to the next level. This might be a level nobody's taken it to yet. This might be like the hidden level on the video game that someone discovers for the first time.

The Gophs made it way too easy for Purdue to operate out there, but the Boilers did their part, too. They were sharp. They would have been hard to beat tonight under any circumstances.

I agree - WAY too much Chip hate on this board. He's one guy on the team with the ability to put the ball in the hole as well as guard the ball. The rest can be taught.

Do you think they'll shoot better than Purdue did tonight? It's not often a team attempts 15 3s and makes 67% of them.

A good shooting team can put up that number against our three point defense. There were a couple of pretty ridiculous threes made, but on a lot of them we gave them the time and space to catch and shoot, and when we give that much time, most teams are going to have a player who can consistently drain the long balls.

Positives

1. Joe Coleman looks like a piece to build on (not around) who I could envision being a starter on a successful Big Ten team
2. Chip Armelin's offensive game- He struggled on the defensive end and that missed dunk was a killer, but his hot shooting in the first half was a bright spot.
3. Fewer minutes in the 2nd half for Ralph/Maverick- I thought this was a smart adjustment
4. Longer leash for Dre Hollins. Some very bad play from Hollins on both ends of the floor today, but also a few very nice plays.
5. Faster tempo- I enjoyed seeing the Gophers play a little faster tonight, and I like the constant use of the press late.

5. Faster tempo- I enjoyed seeing the Gophers play a little faster tonight, and I like the constant use of the press late.
I feel like we should do that all game. We were actually having success.

A good shooting team can put up that number against our three point defense. There were a couple of pretty ridiculous threes made, but on a lot of them we gave them the time and space to catch and shoot, and when we give that much time, most teams are going to have a player who can consistently drain the long balls.

No team is going to consistently shoot 10/15 from three againt anyone.

Top Bottom