Tubby has lost this team--Tubby please resign or announce your retirement

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
Dear Tubby:

I know this is not professional hoops, but if this was, you would be fired immediately after this game. You have lost the team that you recruited and coached. You have not recruited players good enough to compete at the Big ten level. You do not have the assistant staff with the skills or the ability to coach these 2 and 3 star kids up. Your teams play with no consistency, little energy, or passion. They are a reflection on you Tubby. You are not earning your 2M per year. Your team cannot play a modern offense and cannot play a solid pressure defense. If this were a pro-team, with private ownership, you would be fired immediately for non-performance. I suspect our "GM" and AD Joel Maturi would be fired with you.

Because this is a public University and Minnesota's only D1 program, I am asking you to step aside and let our New AD select a coach who can turn the program around. You are just coasting towards retirement. It is time that you enjoy your retirement in peace and let us get on with creating a competitive and entertaining basketball team that represents our State and our only D1 University with pride and accomplishment.

Thank you

M2S

We don't even have a new AD yet, baby steps.

I think we should hire Brenda Freese to return here from Maryland.
She'll fix everything.

I hope this isn't a prelude to ongoing m2s rants again.

Fundamental rebounding? Perimeter d? Heart/passion? Sampson is a complete waste of an athlete with zero motivation.

Unless Ben Jacobson says he is willing to take the job off the record, we have to keep Tubby. The next search would be a mess without knowing who the AD will be and the practice facility not being at the top of athletic construction projects. We need to hope that Tubby rebounds next year like Lucia. He could quit at the end of the year, and that would be a mess for the same reasons.

Flip Saunders' stock is low and won't have a whole lot of credibility on the recruiting trail. Look at his age too, does he want to work for 1/2 of what he has made during the past 10 years and travel the country sucking up to AAU slugs and begging 16 and 17 year old kids to play for him?

The ONE thing I was somewhat impressed with today was that our guys didn't quit when we got down big. We didn't have the talent to come back, but we did keep battling.

I don't think Tubby has lost the team. I just think the players he has aren't very good.

Actually, that is probably even bigger problem than losing the team because there is no way to fix it this year.

I don't think a coach loses a team in four games.

The ONE thing I was somewhat impressed with today was that our guys didn't quit when we got down big. We didn't have the talent to come back, but we did keep battling.

I don't think Tubby has lost the team. I just think the players he has aren't very good.

Actually, that is probably even bigger problem than losing the team because there is no way to fix it this year.

+19

Becky Vadger - very composed entry. I liked the agressiveness at the end and Tubby did some good things, especially sitting Ralph. He just couldn't keep up with the game. Tubs needs to recruit big-time in the next year or two or he will be out the door.

I was impressed with Coleman today. Williams needs to play like this all the time. However, I think Tubby is coasting and in a panic. I don't think he even knows what to do to fix this mess meaning he lost the team.

Well, there are a couple of posters on this site that use the phrase:" You can't make chicken salad out of chicken *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#" I think to some degree the game has past Tubby's coaching style. I also have reservations about his ass't coaches, but the bottom line guys is we just don't have the players. The ones we do have are freshmen and need to be developed. If Tubby had more than 2 years left I would say this is a season on the brink for Tubby and his staff, but I think he rides his contract out and retires with a boat load of cash compliments of Joel Maturi.

Well, there are a couple of posters on this site that use the phrase:" You can't make chicken salad out of chicken *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#" I think to some degree the game has past Tubby's coaching style. I also have reservations about his ass't coaches, but the bottom line guys is we just don't have the players. The ones we do have are freshmen and need to be developed. If Tubby had more than 2 years left I would say this is a season on the brink for Tubby and his staff, but I think he rides his contract out and retires with a boat load of cash compliments of Joel Maturi.

I suspect that we don't have the players, but at least Tubby attempted to coach today. No hockey line changes, and no pre-ordained minutes for Ralph, Austin, Mav, etc. Still don't think this ends well, but nice to see an effort from Tubby.

I'm glad the proposed extension wasn't signed.

Lots of talk about the need to recruit better. How do the readers propose we do this? What needs to change to improve recruiting. Before you list a new practice building, think about The Bank and how it didn't help us recruit at all.

Lots of talk about the need to recruit better. How do the readers propose we do this?

1) Get a lead recruiter to replace Vince Taylor who is actually mentioned in interviews involving top recruits
2) Stop burying top recruits on the bench because they don't fit your style (i.e., they actually try to be aggressive). Hopefully, the Coleman minutes tonight are a trend in the right direction

Lots of talk about the need to recruit better. How do the readers propose we do this? What needs to change to improve recruiting. Before you list a new practice building, think about The Bank and how it didn't help us recruit at all.

How do you know TCF didn't help recruiting? We do know it was a big selling point for Brew's first full class which was rated pretty high (regardless of the on field results). I don't think you can say "it didn't help us recruit at all" as its definitely a positive selling point that the dome definitely was not. I think its entirely reasonable to believe that our recent football classes would have likely been worse without TCF. At a minimum, its something else that can be utilized as a positive selling point for the school (just like the city, the academic programs, the new dorms, etc). When you hear more than half the recruits rave about the stadium and locker room after their visits (when asked what was most memorable about their visit) I think we can conclude it positively influences recruiting. Not sure a practice facility would have the same impact but I am sure it would be something else that can be used to sell the school (especially since all of the other Big 10 schools have one now or will shortly)

A new facility will definitely help recruiting. There is no question about that. Tubby is a poor coach, he has built this team, and we have to live with it. There is a lot more wrong with this Athletic department than Tubby Smith. As I said, I think Tubby should do the noble thing and resign, mainly to save the U money. We will get a New AD who will want to put his stamp on the program. The only sport the new AD has left to do a major hire in (since Hockey and Football have been extended) is men's hoops...

Hire a new coach that can recruit.

Evaluate Talent

The number one criteria to recruit is to be able to evaluate talent. Tubby has shown no ability to do this. He had everything needed to recruit 5 star players at Kentucky. It didn't happen. He can coach. He can't evaluate talent or recruit. He has always done better with other people's players. In order for recruiting to improve we need a different head coach.

He does not know how to make talented offensive players happy. Devoe Joseph had offensive talent. Westbrook and Tubby did not get along. Blake Hoff. wasn't utilized to his full ability. On and on. Tons of guys leaving.

He does not have talented assistant coaches. The staff does not develop players.

The Bank does help recruiting. A practice facility would help the next guy recruit if can evaluate talent. Tubby has name recognition. That is his problem. Talented offensive recruits know his reputation as a coach who isn't going to let you display your skills.
Tyus Jones wants no part of Tubby.

Flip Saunders would have fun, talented offensive teams. Flip could recruit. Golden Valley had phenomenal players. He evaluated and selected KG. Flip is a lot closer to Calipari in the ability to recruit than Tubby ever was or will be. And Flip knows how to coach talented offensive players. Flip didn't build the roster at Detroit or Washington.

60's Guy said:
The number one criteria to recruit is to be able to evaluate talent. Tubby has shown no ability to do this. He had everything needed to recruit 5 star players at Kentucky. It didn't happen. He can coach. He can't evaluate talent or recruit. He has always done better with other people's players. In order for recruiting to improve we need a different head coach.

He does not know how to make talented offensive players happy. Devoe Joseph had offensive talent. Westbrook and Tubby did not get along. Blake Hoff. wasn't utilized to his full ability. On and on. Tons of guys leaving.

He does not have talented assistant coaches. The staff does not develop players.

The Bank does help recruiting. A practice facility would help the next guy recruit if can evaluate talent. Tubby has name recognition. That is his problem. Talented offensive recruits know his reputation as a coach who isn't going to let you display your skills.
Tyus Jones wants no part of Tubby.

Flip Saunders would have fun, talented offensive teams. Flip could recruit. Golden Valley had phenomenal players. He evaluated and selected KG. Flip is a lot closer to Calipari in the ability to recruit than Tubby ever was or will be. And Flip knows how to coach talented offensive players. Flip didn't build the roster at Detroit or Washington.

Mchale selected KG, that's what you pay the GM to do. Flip Saunders was never the GM for the wolves.

Tubby had his best regular season at Kentucky with his own players, going undefeated in the SEC.

And how can you have any clue how Flip could recruit? He's never done it before in his life. Ever. And now he's coach cal? That's a bit of a leap IMO.

And how can you have any clue how Flip could recruit? He's never done it before in his life. Ever. And now he's coach cal? That's a bit of a leap IMO.

He was an assistant under Dutcher for a number of years, which I'm certain involved recruiting. Granted, it was a long time ago

Guys, the Minnesota basketball job is not the cream of the crop. if Flip wants the job, we should be happy to give it to him. Recruiting would be an easy and strong suit for Flip. He has professional credibility. and will create a fresh and dynamic program with Vision and a hope for the future.

For those of you who think we can do batter than Flip your are living in a state of delusion. This job is one of the lower 2 or 3 in the Big ten.........Thanks to Joel M and Tubby...........

The problem isn't initial recruiting, its having all your talented players transfer every year and then replacing them with recruits late that don't belong in the Big Ten. It's gotten to the point where everywhere we guess who will transfer, that's the problem.

The problem isn't initial recruiting, its having all your talented players transfer every year and then replacing them with recruits late that don't belong in the Big Ten. It's gotten to the point where everywhere we guess who will transfer, that's the problem.

It is really starting to show this year, half the team are spring signings and they are struggling big time. With little or no experience you have no one to turn to. Look at Rodney Williams, he hasn't ever played like he is this year of late, it took him 2 1/2 years to get there though. Everthing got so shredded with the departures the last couple of years it is hard to tell if it is Tubby or circumstances. How long do you wait to find out. I hope they improve and can come back and win 6 or 7, but that means they would have to play close to 500 the rest of the way, I don't see that happening.

It is really starting to show this year, half the team are spring signings and they are struggling big time. With little or no experience you have no one to turn to. Look at Rodney Williams, he hasn't ever played like he is this year of late, it took him 2 1/2 years to get there though. Everthing got so shredded with the departures the last couple of years it is hard to tell if it is Tubby or circumstances. How long do you wait to find out. I hope they improve and can come back and win 6 or 7, but that means they would have to play close to 500 the rest of the way, I don't see that happening.

That is why I can't bring myself to call for him to retire or quit or be fired yet. There are a lot of reasons to look at it either way but I just think that with all the stuff that has happend that has not been his fault (injuries) or at least not entirely his fault(some of the tranfers) I don't have a real reason to want him gone. It is a tough time to be a gopher fan right now but hopefully our boys will start getting a few wins and we can focus on more positive things.

First, millions2spare's location was "Marina Del Rey", wherever that is. And then, when he was informed that people who actually live in Marina del Rey would know that the D isn't capitalized, his location suddenly switched to Culver City. Apparently, he got tired of fake-living in Culver City, because now his location is North Carolina. Quite the jetsetter, that m2s is.

1) Get a lead recruiter to replace Vince Taylor who is actually mentioned in interviews involving top recruits
2) Stop burying top recruits on the bench because they don't fit your style (i.e., they actually try to be aggressive). Hopefully, the Coleman minutes tonight are a trend in the right direction

+1

Signs that Tubby has lost the team....they did not play any defense. You don't have to be a big time recruit to play solid defense, it takes hussle, tenacity, hard work......Tubby has clearly lost this team..........

Top Bottom