Practice Facility

wels0081

Reaction score
Alright, I'm the guy who likes to post ridiculous things and get torn apart so here goes...

Tubby is trumpeting for a $15 million practice facility again. It's an investment the university says they want to make but for whatever reason they haven't.

Is there anyway we can tie a practice facility to Tubby's contract? If we build the facility, can we tie NCAA tournament births/conference records to Tubby's financial incentives? I believe he's currently making about $2 million per year as the highest paid state employee in Minnesota. He seems certain that's why he can't get the athletes to Minneapolis that he needs and if he can produce, the facility is an investment that should pay for itself.

Tubby has been around NCAA basketball forever. If anybody should know what it takes to win, it's him. So what's a practice facility worth?

What he needs is his players to stay heathy, go to class and not get in trouble off the court. Then he wins and gets his practice facility.

The issue isn't winning and it isn't Tubby...we don't have a practice facility because Maturi failed to manage the needs of the major sports teams of the U. If we would have started the fund raising for a practice facility immediately after we met our financial needs for a stadium...it would be done by now. Instead Maturi put effort into the baseball stadium and put the BB facility on the back burner...now he blames the economy on not being able to raise money. Maturi sucks!

Ridiculous. The practice facility isn't about Tubby any more than TCF was built for Glen Mason. It's needed no matter who the coach is. Tying it to Tubby's contract is just laughable.

Ridiculous. The practice facility isn't about Tubby any more than TCF was built for Glen Mason. It's needed no matter who the coach is. Tying it to Tubby's contract is just laughable.

What is laughable is the thought that a practice facility is needed to win games.

It's not that a practice facility is needed to win games, there is a facilities "war" out there. Reportedly, only Northwestern doesn't have one or is building one. Read the following regarding a potential B1G basketball bottom feeder.

Nebraska Basketball Will Be Forever Changed
Hoppen is convinced that a new basketball practice facility, scheduled to begin construction yet this summer and be completed in August of 2011, will change recruiting as much as the new arena will change Downtown Lincoln (beginning in 2013).

"I think those two things together - a state-of-the-art practice facility and a state-of-the-art arena - will change everything for Nebraska basketball," Hoppen said.

"Of course, we all know that you can have the nicest facility in the world and not have a quality team," he added. "That's where Doc comes in. He's one of the best coaches I've seen in a long time."

Hoppen sees Sadler using a perfect storm of athletic upgrades to improve recruiting and prepare the Huskers to compete better in their last year in the Big 12 Conference. That, in turn, will help prepare Nebraska for even more improvement in the Big Ten.

So folks, it's not just Tubby whining about practice faciliites. He's not the scape goat here. He's trying to be competitive. And if Tubby can't get the facility built, his successor will demand the same.

It's not that a practice facility is needed to win games, there is a facilities "war" out there. Reportedly, only Northwestern doesn't have one or is building one. Read the following regarding a potential B1G basketball bottom feeder.

Nebraska Basketball Will Be Forever Changed
Hoppen is convinced that a new basketball practice facility, scheduled to begin construction yet this summer and be completed in August of 2011, will change recruiting as much as the new arena will change Downtown Lincoln (beginning in 2013).

"I think those two things together - a state-of-the-art practice facility and a state-of-the-art arena - will change everything for Nebraska basketball," Hoppen said.

"Of course, we all know that you can have the nicest facility in the world and not have a quality team," he added. "That's where Doc comes in. He's one of the best coaches I've seen in a long time."

Hoppen sees Sadler using a perfect storm of athletic upgrades to improve recruiting and prepare the Huskers to compete better in their last year in the Big 12 Conference. That, in turn, will help prepare Nebraska for even more improvement in the Big Ten.

So folks, it's not just Tubby whining about practice faciliites. He's not the scape goat here. He's trying to be competitive. And if Tubby can't get the facility built, his successor will demand the same.

Tubby needs to shut up and win games.

Let's say a program is top flight for years, uses a nostalgic building as its home, its competitors re-tool and build new faciliites, a former wealth of state born athletes begin to enroll in competitor's programs, attendance thins, boosters are concerned about overall competitivenes as the team's record suffers, and program supporters convince the administration, the state and corporate sponsors to build a brand new facility.

This happened. It's now called Mariucci Arena.

BarnBurner needs to shut up and understand modern college basketball.

Of course!

The only teams that have great success are the teams with modern, new practice facilites.

Grasp reality junior.

Of course!

The only teams that have great success are the teams with modern, new practice facilites.

Grasp reality junior.
Where did I say that? Where did I even say that practice facilities = winning. You're the one that seems to think that. Practice facilities just help RECRUITING

I think everybody just needs to stop beeotching about how bad Tubby is.

Yeah, Tubby is beyond criticism. His name is Tubby Smith.

Reportedly, only Northwestern doesn't have one or is building one.

I've seen that reported before, too. It is wrong. Northwestern absolutely has a basketball practice facility. It isn't as fancy as many others, but it has locker rooms, team meeting rooms, coaches offices, and a practice floor. It is attached to Welch Ryan Arena.

Minnesota is the ONLY Big Ten school without one!!

minngg said:
Yeah, Tubby is beyond criticism. His name is Tubby Smith.

Yeah - whatever - that makes so much sense.

I've seen that reported before, too. It is wrong. Northwestern absolutely has a basketball practice facility. It isn't as fancy as many others, but it has locker rooms, team meeting rooms, coaches offices, and a practice floor. It is attached to Welch Ryan Arena.

Minnesota is the ONLY Big Ten school without one!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:cry:

MN cant win without one......

shut up and win

Gophers football replaced the newest Big10 stadium with the newest new Big10 stadium. Did the team dramatically improve? No, the practice facility is not the missing element. Something else is wrong at the U in both FB and BB (and now even hockey) that causes many top recruits, including those from Minnesota high schools, to choose neighboring schools over UM. When we find what that is, we'll have a chance to return these programs to competitiveness.

When you look at it, Minnesota is what the third most profitable basketball program in the B1G or something like that and still don't have a practive facility. That looks to be a major failing of Maturi. I think it can be directly related to the state of the football program. When you look at the combined status of basketball and football it is a different story. Minnesota is fighting a battle as far as costs are concerned and basketball is losing. We really need to make a commitment to a practice facility, based on Tubby's age it probably isn't going to benefit him that much but more the future of the program.

Gophers football replaced the newest Big10 stadium with the newest new Big10 stadium. Did the team dramatically improve? No, the practice facility is not the missing element. Something else is wrong at the U in both FB and BB (and now even hockey) that causes many top recruits, including those from Minnesota high schools, to choose neighboring schools over UM. When we find what that is, we'll have a chance to return these programs to competitiveness.

^This.

It's so obvious, yet we want to spend all our time in the 'hole ripping one guy. It makes no sense.

The issue isn't winning and it isn't Tubby...we don't have a practice facility because Maturi failed to manage the needs of the major sports teams of the U. If we would have started the fund raising for a practice facility immediately after we met our financial needs for a stadium...it would be done by now. Instead Maturi put effort into the baseball stadium and put the BB facility on the back burner...now he blames the economy on not being able to raise money. Maturi sucks!

Who are you kidding? Maturi has done next to nothing for a baseball stadium. That team was forced to play GAMES on the road last year when the Dome collapsed. The university has comitted NOTHING so far to that project, the baseball program was required to raise $7.5 million on their own before they could even think of sticking a shovel in the ground. Maybe Tubby should get his tin cup out and sit out on University Ave and ask for donations.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:cry:

MN cant win without one......

shut up and win
WHERE THE F*CK IS ANYONE SAYING THIS? EVERYONE HERE BUT YOU, YOU F*CKING MORON, SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT PRACTICE FACILITIES HELP RECRUITING. NO ONE HAS ONCE MENTIONED IF WE HAD A PRACTICE FACILITY WE WOULD SUDDENLY BE WINNING EVERY GAME

Who are you kidding? Maturi has done next to nothing for a baseball stadium. That team was forced to play GAMES on the road last year when the Dome collapsed. The university has comitted NOTHING so far to that project, the baseball program was required to raise $7.5 million on their own before they could even think of sticking a shovel in the ground. Maybe Tubby should get his tin cup out and sit out on University Ave and ask for donations.

Haha, yeah, I agree.

Here's my point---

If Tubby is going to blame a practice facility for the short-comings of this basketball program, can we make him put his money where his mouth is?

I'm willing to put up a donation for a practice facility--- if he's willing to foot the bill in three years when the recruiting hasn't improved, the team is still NIT bound, and we're only selling 10,000 tickets a game.

But then again, I think the baseball team deserves a stadium too. They've waited long enough.

Here's my point---

If Tubby is going to blame a practice facility for the short-comings of this basketball program, can we make him put his money where his mouth is?

I'm willing to put up a donation for a practice facility--- if he's willing to foot the bill in three years when the recruiting hasn't improved, the team is still NIT bound, and we're only selling 10,000 tickets a game.

But then again, I think the baseball team deserves a stadium too. They've waited long enough.
Except Tubby isn't saying that the practice facility is THE reason for our futility, therefore your point is moot.

Simple minded people.

Tubby is right. Minnesota needs a practice facility whether you agree or not. This PROGRAM isn't called 'Tubby Smith's Gophers', it's the 'Minnesota Gophers.' Two, three, five, etc. years from now when Tubby leaves, the next coach is going to need a practice facility as well. You aren't rewarding only Tubby with the facility, you're rewarding the program. Whether Tubby wins or not is not going to change that outcome. If Flip Saunders becomes the next coach, he's going to say the same thing. By waiting longer you're only hurting the program in the long run.

Top Bottom