Looks like Joe Coleman will be getting more playing time

GopherCountry

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_19689769

Gophers will likely start Joe Coleman over Austin Hollins
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Updated: 01/06/2012 03:22:42 PM CST

University of Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said he would "probably" insert freshman swingman Joe Coleman into the starting lineup Sunday against Purdue.

The Gophers (12-4, 0-3 conference) suffered their ninth straight Big Ten loss over two seasons - third straight this season - falling 64-62 to Iowa on Wednesday at Williams Arena.

Coleman, last season's Minnesota Mr. Basketball from Hopkins High School, is expected to replace sophomore Austin Hollins in the game at Williams Arena.

"Joe gives us a real aggressive nature there," Smith said at today's news conference. "Joe is a physical player, and that's something we're lacking right now. Austin has been struggling shooting the ball. So we're probably going to look at that."

Hollins had started every game for the Gophers this season, averaging eight points, two rebounds and 27 minutes game. But he's shooting 3-for-15 from the field and 2-for-11 from three-point range in the last two games. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound Coleman is averaging four points in 10 minutes a game this season.

Junior forward Rodney Williams, who was moved from small forward to power forward after Trevor Mbakwe's season-ending knee injury, said he expected to see Coleman playing with the starters in today's practice.

"I don't think it really changes things too much," Williams said. "I think with that lineup we could get a lot more steals because Joe likes to be in the passing lanes a lot. Joe is also very physical on the

Agreed. Is Mav related to Tubby? He is not a starting Big Ten point guard and should never touch the ball in the final seconds of a close game.

Mav may be the guy that should be taken out, but Joe would not be the guy to replace him. Tubby clearly doesn't think Welch is a PG.

I am glad most had the same reaction to this that I did. I will reserve judgment until I see how the minutes end up being distributed, but if Tubby thinks a reduction in playing time for Austin Hollins is the answer to our issues...

I am glad most had the same reaction to this that I did. I will reserve judgment until I see how the minutes end up being distributed, but if Tubby thinks a reduction in playing time for Austin Hollins is the answer to our issues...

exactly

The only good that could come out of this is swapping the back court at about the 12 minute mark and bringing in the hollinses to run and press, but we all know that won't happen.

Top Bottom