Posting up: Curiosity

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Ralph is in the game with 4 random players. He continually posts up on the 3rd or 4th hash mark.
Elliot substitutes in for Ralph. Same 4 other players on the floor. Elliot posts up on the block.
Other substituting happens. Elliot still posting on block.
Ralph in for Elliot. Ralph is back up on the 3rd or 4th hash mark.

Which of the following is true:
a) They are actually running different plays for Ralph than they are for Elliot, or
b) Ralph simply refuses to post up on the block

??

I'm going to go with option c and say that it is because Ralph is simply better farther away from the basket. He doesn't have the physicality to bang on the low block.

I'm going to go with option c and say that it is because Ralph is simply better farther away from the basket. He doesn't have the physicality to bang on the low block.

Wouldn't that be option a.

The hook shot is a good move when a player isn't physical like Ralph. He is good at it from the low block but doesn't use it all the time. It loses it effectiveness when they drop another defender down or his defender has quick feet to block him from moving to the center of the lane to finish his move. His feet are slow as some other posters have pointed out so it takes him a little longer to put this move into motion. He may have been told or allowed to mix it up to keep defenders guessing.

Wouldn't that be option a.
I can't be certain they are different plays. A small adjustment in position doesn't mean the plays have to be different. I'd have to rewatch the games.

Ralph is in the game with 4 random players. He continually posts up on the 3rd or 4th hash mark.
Elliot substitutes in for Ralph. Same 4 other players on the floor. Elliot posts up on the block.

a) They are actually running different plays for Ralph than they are for Elliot, or

??

This is actually a great question. In the post game- Tubby said that he needs to catch it closer to the basket (after all he is 6-11 stated the Tubster). So this means the answer should have been 'b' per that statement. However, Sampson was indeed repeatedly spotted up 10-12 feet out. So if the answer were 'b' then why wouldn't Ralph have been taken out of the game more (preferrable prior to achieving 6 turnovers - a real landmark for a center)? And doesn't the fact that Ralph was posted up so far out allow the zone to cheat out further on the shooters- further killing the offense?

Personally- I don't think he's a center anyway. He wants to play the 3/4 man and shoot jumpers.

I don't know the last time I saw Ralph even attempt a drop step from the block or the hash. It's either a face up jumper or the hook shot. With that said, I don't really care how he gets his points as long as he stays aggressive. You do have to make an adjustment when they are taking away your dribble and ability to face up.

??

If EE is in his proper place for the offense, it would seem RS is not. If he cant make the plays for the offense throught the offense Tubby is running, why in the hell would he play rs?

If EE is in his proper place for the offense, it would seem RS is not. If he cant make the plays for the offense throught the offense Tubby is running, why in the hell would he play rs?
OR the position doesn't make a difference in the play.

My impression is that Tubby has been asking RSIII to "take his time" on offense, wait for the clear out, before making his near low post move or mid range jumper. He was doing that just fine in the second half against IL and first 10 minutes of the IA game. Problem against IA was IA sagged on Ralph, who failed to react quickly with a kick out; then the zone came like storm and Gophs shut down.

Let's hope the one guard willing to attack the zone, JColeman, can break down the lane and open things up. As others have commented, Welch, Hollins, Hollins and Mav seem to have backed off the drive.

Top Bottom