Should Tubby make a statement with the Purdue starting lineup?

bga1

Reaction score
I would like to see him do something that shows he means business about playing differently. It would be fun to see a starting lineup come out something like this- if for nothing else than as a statement:

Dre Hollins
Welch
Coleman
Rodney
Elliason

Nothing to lose at this point.

Then skip the hockey line deal 6 to seven minutes in. Stagger in the subs one at a time between the 5-10minute mark into the game.

I like the idea BGA, though I disagree about having nothing to lose. I don't think we're at that point. ... yet.

It's time to let Andre play & play through some of his mistakes. I think eventually he can be a solid combo with Julian, even though neither is a true PG.

No problems with EE starting, either. Nowhere near the skills as Ralph, but his energy at the start of the game (though he has nowhere near the skills as Ralph) would be refreshing. Then Ralph can serve as some instant offense off the bench, so to speak.

Joe, definitely would like to see him get more PT, but not ready to put Austin on the bench.

I know Austin had a bad game shooting the ball, but he's still our best defensive player and shouldn't lose his starting spot IMO. I think benching for a bad shooting night can get into a players head - if I miss this shot I'm coming out mindset. Other than that one detail, I agree, a shakeup with the starting lineup would be good.

Hollins, Hollins, Welch, Rodney, Elliason

I like the idea BGA, though I disagree about having nothing to lose. I don't think we're at that point. ... yet.

It's time to let Andre play & play through some of his mistakes. I think eventually he can be a solid combo with Julian, even though neither is a true PG.

No problems with EE starting, either. Nowhere near the skills as Ralph, but his energy at the start of the game (though he has nowhere near the skills as Ralph) would be refreshing. Then Ralph can serve as some instant offense off the bench, so to speak.

Joe, definitely would like to see him get more PT, but not ready to put Austin on the bench.

Austin needs ot be a starter long term. When Mbakwe went down- I thought Austin would step up and become our best player. He just needs a jolt sent his way- he's too passive right now. He's got plenty of ability.

So nothing about this idea represents a pemanent lineup- I'm just talking about sending a message.

And you are correct- I'm wrong- it's not over yet. We need ot start with Purdue and then win somewhere we shouldn't - like at Indiana and things will start to look better.

I know Austin had a bad game shooting the ball, but he's still our best defensive player and shouldn't lose his starting spot IMO. I think benching for a bad shooting night can get into a players head - if I miss this shot I'm coming out mindset. Other than that one detail, I agree, a shakeup with the starting lineup would be good.

Hollins, Hollins, Welch, Rodney, Elliason

Another guy that I was thinking about is Welch- is it just me or does he seem to get off the mark slowly in the 1st half? He is without a doubt our go to guy but he needs to get involved right away.

Let's just start a 4 guard lineup with Rodney at the 5. Dre, Welch, Austin, and Coleman with Rodney. We're not rebounding anyway, let's kill 'em with speed haha.

Monty519 said:
Let's just start a 4 guard lineup with Rodney at the 5. Dre, Welch, Austin, and Coleman with Rodney. We're not rebounding anyway, let's kill 'em with speed haha.

Like it. We were winning with 3 guards, now we've lost 3 straight. The answer??? FOUR GUARDS! Lol

He should make a statement by adjusting and trying something innovative. That would shock the entire team.

I agree with Selection Sunday in regards to letting Andre Hollins play & play through his mistakes. I caught an old clip from The Journey on Juice Thompson. He came in as a freshman and Carmody told him he was giving him the ball and even if he screwed up he wasn't taking him out. I think this needs to happen with Dre, it's not like our other PG options are any better.

If we are going to send a message about attitude, I would like to see Maverick start. I know he is not talented, and everyone gives him crap for that last shot (which was a bad shot), but he played like he wanted the ball in his hands while the other four guys on the court were jogging and not trying to get open as though they did not want to be on the line for the last shot, so I would like to see whoever those four are benched and put guys in who want the ball.

If we are going to send a message about attitude, I would like to see Maverick start. I know he is not talented, and everyone gives him crap for that last shot (which was a bad shot), but he played like he wanted the ball in his hands while the other four guys on the court were jogging and not trying to get open as though they did not want to be on the line for the last shot, so I would like to see whoever those four are benched and put guys in who want the ball.

The message should be more about creativity coming from the coach than about attitude- except in the case of Ralph.
I just want to see the coach SHOW that he's going to do something different to move us forward right out of the shoot.
If I see Maverick (lack of ability) and Sampson (lack of aggression) trotting out there Sunday at tip off my arms are going to get folded and I'm sitting there thinking "prove it". If I see a new lineup- it communicates to me right away that the coach is saying- "I'll try anything to win". You want the crowd in it right away? Change the lineup.

The message should be more about creativity coming from the coach than about attitude- except in the case of Ralph.
I just want to see the coach SHOW that he's going to do something different to move us forward right out of the shoot.
If I see Maverick (lack of ability) and Sampson (lack of aggression) trotting out there Sunday at tip off my arms are going to get folded and I'm sitting there thinking "prove it". If I see a new lineup- it communicates to me right away that the coach is saying- "I'll try anything to win". You want the crowd in it right away? Change the lineup.
When I go to basketball games, if the coach has a new starting line-up I'm not going to go from "this is awful!" to "YAAAAAAAAAAA LET'S DO THIS!!!" But hey, that's just me I guess.

Some Twitter action on this subject.

"Tubby said there could be a change in the lineup. It could be with Joe Coleman replacing Austin Hollins. Maybe Eliason as well."

"Tubby Smith said he's thinking of tinkering with the lineup. Coleman & Eliason have both given the Gophers the phys pres they need he said"

"Smith said there will probably be a change in the line-up Sunday vs. Purdue. Hinted at the possibility of Joe Coleman getting the start"

Like to see EE start. He reminds me exactly of the Dutcher Era big men. Not quite really for the big stage yet offensively, but he'll play hard. Off topic, but I would redshirt Buggs next year. EE is way ahead of the game for a seven footer. That extra year is going to be huge. Tubby is building enough depth for stategic redshirting IMO.

When I go to basketball games, if the coach has a new starting line-up I'm not going to go from "this is awful!" to "YAAAAAAAAAAA LET'S DO THIS!!!" But hey, that's just me I guess.

Hopefully, you get the point that it sets a mood or attitude in the crowd.

dboy???

Another guy that I was thinking about is Welch- is it just me or does he seem to get off the mark slowly in the 1st half? He is without a doubt our go to guy but he needs to get involved right away.

He does seem to get off to a slow start, but I think he's a bit more composed than our younger guards. I think he's gotta stay remain a starter.

EE would get more playing time, but he comes in and starts fouling immediately. I still like him, but that's party of why Sampson has been playing so much more.

I think if he benches anyone it will be mav or welch. Welch has been getting abused on defense pretty much all year. He can play better defense than he has but he seems to just want to score all the time. I don't think Austin gets benched, plays too good of defense. Coleman seems eager to do what ever he's asked and welch only seems interested in shooting 3 pointers... which could be a perfect role off the bench or a perfect way to get him to play defense and cut down his turnovers.

Yes he should. "I wish I had Purdue's starting lineup." That would be an honest statement. I wish we had their coach.

Yes he should. "I wish I had Purdue's starting lineup." That would be an honest statement. I wish we had their coach.

Who do you like on Purdue outside of Hummel and maybe Ryne Smith? Did you see them get destroyed yesterday? They've got major depth and personnel issues. Lots of talent coming in the next 2 years though.

I think if he benches anyone it will be mav or welch. Welch has been getting abused on defense pretty much all year. He can play better defense than he has but he seems to just want to score all the time. I don't think Austin gets benched, plays too good of defense. Coleman seems eager to do what ever he's asked and welch only seems interested in shooting 3 pointers... which could be a perfect role off the bench or a perfect way to get him to play defense and cut down his turnovers.
LOL. You know that Tim Hardaway Jr. guy the gophers shut down? That was Welch.

The reason Mav starts is because he is the best pg on the team.

By no means is he the best guard on the team or even a good pg.

MotherNight said:
Benching Austin Hollins makes no sense to me.

The only sense I can make of it is that you have some more D on the second line? I don't know. I like joe starting, but not over Austin.

Unsure about who should lose the playing time but I am all for Coleman getting more time on the court.

Unsure about who should lose the playing time but I am all for Coleman getting more time on the court.

I agree, XMan. We are so close in these games. Get another scorer a bit more time and see if that puts us over the top.
I'm unsure about who should start, but please take Mav off the court in a final second situation where we can shoot to tie it. He's not very good at buzzer beaters.

How about Andre Hollins?? This kid can flat out score! I know he turns it over a lot but we have nothing to lose. I say let him play and take out Mav.

Top Bottom