2012 Timberwolves Shootout Preview - Future Gopher Wally Ellenson, Tyus Jones, etc.

Thanks for the report Gopher Lady! For those who attend, give us your feedback. Even when the present is challenging, look to the future!

I am really looking forward to the Apple Valley/Onalaska game. Tyus is obviously the stud, and really fun to watch. Onalaska has a really nice team, led by Matt Thomas. Thomas continues to grow and improve, I think the Badger staff is making a mistake by (seemingly) taking a pass on him. I think he is going to make some program very happy down the road.

UWOle said:
I am really looking forward to the Apple Valley/Onalaska game. Tyus is obviously the stud, and really fun to watch. Onalaska has a really nice team, led by Matt Thomas. Thomas continues to grow and improve, I think the Badger staff is making a mistake by (seemingly) taking a pass on him. I think he is going to make some program very happy down the road.

Who is the perceived leader now? Are the Golden Eagles recruiting him hard?

I assume Golden Eagles means Marquette, in which case I don't think they are recruiting him all that hard. Buzz offered several kids 2013 kids from Wisconsin very early, but I am not sure they'd accept a commitment from anyone but Duane Wilson at this point. I keep hearing Iowa St. for Matt, with Minnesota in the mix. Would not surprise me to see Virginia to make a play for him as well, and I keep hoping the UW staff will change their mind. At least one Badger coach is expected at tomorrow's Aquinas/Onalaska game, so hopefully Matt puts on a show.

Per NY2LA twitter, Matt Thomas picked up a couple new offers:

"2013 G Matt Thomas of Onalaska (WI) added offers from Virginia and Northwestern today."

Ryan James reported that Johnny Woodard might be playing tomorrow, if so that would be a another big-time player at the Target Center tomorrow. Of what I have seen of a healthy Woodard, and what I have heard of Wally Ellenson it will be quite the matchup. I still don't know why the Gophers never really went after Woodard, I believe he will develop into a star at the next level.

Ryan James reported that Johnny Woodard might be playing tomorrow, if so that would be a another big-time player at the Target Center tomorrow. Of what I have seen of a healthy Woodard, and what I have heard of Wally Ellenson it will be quite the matchup. I still don't know why the Gophers never really went after Woodard, I believe he will develop into a star at the next level.

I think they were starting to look at him harder in July, but then he messed up his shoulder again in Vegas. They might view him as too injury prone, thus making Wally the safer offer.

"@MNTimberwolves: Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith in the crowd for Benilde-St. Margret’s – St. Thomas More match-up #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Wally had a rough game today fouling out with 9 points. He had 38 points and 17 rebounds last night though.

Johnny Woodard with 33 points 13 rebounds and 5 assists in his first game back after being injured 6 months.

Gold Vision said:
Sounds like Wally had a rough game today fouling out with 9 points. He had 38 points and 17 rebounds last night though.

Johnny Woodard with 33 points 13 rebounds and 5 assists in his first game back after being injured 6 months.

I'd love for the gophers to get Woodard. I have a feeling he would be a huge miss. Hopefully a spot opens and he wants to come. Philip Nolan is at a position more needed though.

Just my opinions and ideas that I took of today's action between Rice Lake and D-East:
-Wally definitely has the size of a Big 10 wing, and has some nice hops to go with it. However, it seemed to me that this kid is just another classic Tubby recruit, a kid that can jump but can't shoot. Can't deny that Wally looked helpless trying to create his own shot, and missed the one or two that he was left open for. Did have some impressive high flying putback/dunks.
-His opponent Johnny Woodard clearly stole the show with nice shooting touch from all areas on the court, aggressiveness towards the rim, and even some nice passing. I completely understand why the Gophers did not offer him, because of his shoulder injury this summer. But man, Tubby is missing a gem from this state again.

gopherpride32 said:
Just my opinions and ideas that I took of today's action between Rice Lake and D-East:
-Wally definitely has the size of a Big 10 wing, and has some nice hops to go with it. However, it seemed to me that this kid is just another classic Tubby recruit, a kid that can jump but can't shoot. Can't deny that Wally looked helpless trying to create his own shot, and missed the one or two that he was left open for. Did have some impressive high flying putback/dunks.
-His opponent Johnny Woodard clearly stole the show with nice shooting touch from all areas on the court, aggressiveness towards the rim, and even some nice passing. I completely understand why the Gophers did not offer him, because of his shoulder injury this summer. But man, Tubby is missing a gem from this state again.

I think Wally will be fine, but I agree. Missing on Woodard is going to come back to bite them.

Hopefully he gets Matt Thomas tho. He'd be an awesome get!

Here is what I posted on the UW board about Onalaska/Apple Valley. I am sure you will notice, but it's obviously written from the UW perspective.

I made it over to the Target Center this evening for a couple games in this year’s Timberwolves Shootout. Most of the games today were blowouts, but the finale was a really fun game. That game had Apple Valley, which is a top 10 team among Minnesota’s big schools and is led by super sophomore Tyus Jones, facing Wisconsin D2 #1 Onalaska, which is led by 2013 SG Matt Thomas. Northwestern head coach Bill Carmody was in attendance to watch Thomas, whom NW offered recently, while Tubby Smith and an assistant were there to watch Thomas and Jones, both of whom have Gopher offers. The game was a little slow in the first half, with AV leading 29-27 at the break, but the pace picked up down the stretch as AV held on for a 66-64 win. With things tied at 64, Jones missed a floater in the lane, which was tipped in by a teammate with just under 2 seconds to go. After a timeout, Onalaska threw a long pass, which UWGB-signee Nick Arenz caught off a ricochet. He had wide open 3, but it hit back rim and AV escaped with a 2-point win. Good game between two very solid HS teams.

Jones did not have his best night shooting the ball, as he missed a number of floaters that I think he makes more often than not, but he still had 18 points and close to double digit assists. It is very easy to see why essentially every school in the country wants him. He has such a great feel for the game and makes such excellent passes, it must be a lot of fun to play with him. I know UW tried early on in his recruitment, but he has progressed beyond the Badgers at this point. I just hope UW doesn’t have to see him regularly in the Big 10, as Michigan St. and Ohio St. (along with Duke) are his rumored leaders. He is a special player who really plays the game the right way.

From UW’s perspective, the focus of this game would have been Thomas. Coach Gard was at Onalaska’s game last night, and reportedly spent time after the game inquiring further (with Onalaska’s head coach) about Matt. Their interest in Thomas seemed to wane over the past few months, but I hope Gard’s activities last night indicate that a push might be coming from the Badgers in Matt’s recruitment. I understand that Matt’s athleticism is a bit of a concern. He looks more explosive now that even this past summer, but he would still be pretty average athletically in the Big 10. However, he is close to 6’4” now and looks to have really put on some good weight/muscle in the last few months. For those who think UW should take a pass on Matt, if you could go back in time, would you also pass on Jason Bohannon? He was somewhat limited physically but still had a very productive career on some really good Badger teams. I have noted this before so I apologize if people are sick of reading this, but I believe Matt is too good of an overall player for UW to not take. He absolutely knows how to play the game, and is an elite shooter in his class. If I’m Bo, I go out and see him (instead of just sending Coach Gard) a time or two in the coming weeks and make an offer. He has a nice offer list now, and it’s only going to grow as we move into the next evaluation period this spring.

In tonight’s game, AV had a pretty rangy guard (probably 6’1” or 2”) who chased Matt everywhere and played him pretty physically. Matt seemed to be able to get by him without too much trouble, but he was relatively quiet in the first half. He still had 12 points, but only two of his buckets really stuck out. Tyus got a steal early on and ran out for a dunk. Not sure if he got his steps messed up or what happened, but he blew the dunk. Matt got a long rebound off that and went the other way. AV didn’t really come out to stop the ball very well, so he stopped and knocked down a 22 footer. Quick 5-point swing on that one. Later in the half, he got by his defender from the 3-point line and hit a leaner from the foul line as his man tried to catch up with him. Tough shot, but he made it look pretty easy.

AV was up 2 at the break, but pretty much had control of the second half. They got their lead to 10 with about 10 to go, then Thomas went nuts and almost got Onalaska back for the win. He got his first hoop of the second half (he made a pair of FTs earlier in the half) with about 9 minutes to go after getting past his man with a pump fake and knocking down an 18 footers after one dribble. Then he a steal from Tyus and went coast to coast for a hoop and the foul. The foul was a little ticky tacky, but it was a nice finish because he had a guy contesting him on each side as he went to the hoop. With about 4 to go, he drained a deep 3 with a hand in his face, which got Onalaska back to 55-51. After the teams traded some buckets, AV had a 63-58 lead. Thomas freed himself enough to hit a jumper from the FT line, which he was also fouled on. Very nice jumper thru the contact. He missed the free throw, but Onalaska got the rebound, immediately threw it to Thomas, who hit another jumper from the FT line. He then got a steal on the ensuing inbounds pass and converted a layup to give Onalaska a 64-63 lead with 90 seconds to go. AV made a FT to tie things up, giving Onalaska the ball with a little over a minute to go. This possession was one of the few things Matt did wrong (in my opinion) in this game. He is certainly confident in himself, but I didn’t like that he took an NBA-range 3 with Jones’ hand in his face with 60 seconds left. He missed it and Onalaska didn’t get the ball back until just under 2 seconds to go. For the game, I had him 11-20 from the floor (including 2-6 from deep) and 9-11 from the line for 33 points. He also had 8 boards. Onalaska played almost exclusively 2-3 zone, with a little 1-3-1 mixed in, so it’s tough to gauge his defensive abilities. I would guess he’s a solid defender at the HS level, and that his strength and smarts would allow him to be at least adequate defensively at the next level. Matt’s a very good player and Onalaska has a nice team. I’m hoping to see them next weekend in Lacrosse and then in two weeks in St. Paul. Sorry if I bored anyone with too many Matt Thomas details!

Top Bottom