Since finding a new coach seems to be the topic du jour

From the Barn

Reaction score
Please don't pine for:
a) "one of us" The Flip or Tim Miles types aren't going to fix thing
b) the mid-major coach of the moment

Do pine for, in this order:
a) a winner at a football school that wants the spot light. Anthony Grant at Bama perhaps
b) an overperformer at a historically bad BCS school. Rice at Rutgers comes to mind
c) top assistant at BCS power with some head coaching experience. Dane Fife, one of the Duke assistants, etc.

Please don't pine for:

a) a winner at a football school that wants the spot light. Anthony Grant at Bama perhaps
b) an overperformer at a historically bad BCS school. Rice at Rutgers comes to mind
c) top assistant at BCS power with some head coaching experience. Dane Fife, one of the Duke assistants, etc.

During Fife's tenure as head coach at IPFW,he made it past the quarter-finals of the Summit tourney twice,and both of those times he lost in the semis. I would hope we could get someone with a little better track record than that.

You want success quick, coupled with exciting, up-tempo basketball?

Time to give Bruce Pearl a call. He's got roots in the Big Ten, turned Tennessee around in a heartbeat, took a UW-Milwaukee team to the Sweet 16. He's hyper-personable, and works like a dog in the community to get people to care about the program and the university.

So what if he lied to the NCAA about who was and wasn't at his backyard BBQ? Water under the bridge. Some times damaged goods are the most motivated goods.

So what if he lied to the NCAA about who was and wasn't at his backyard BBQ? Water under the bridge. Some times damaged goods are the most motivated goods.

August 30, 2011

"Pearl's (three-year) show-cause penalty limits his ability to get another NCAA Division I coaching job, because a school would have to decide that it wants to take on Pearl with recruiting restrictions during that period.

Should he be hired by a school, Pearl is not allowed to have contact with recruits during that three-year period, but would be allowed to evaluate talent. Still, coaches are rarely hired during a show-cause period, because administrations don't want to deal with a coach having restrictions. "

Ok - so not quite water under the bridge. I didn't realize that 3-year clock starts once he gets a job. I thought it was expiring in 2013. Ugh.

Makes it tough to pull in recruits when you can't talk to them. Then again, the kids you would get, you know would really want to play for him. I presume his assistants can talk with recruits? Since Minnesota seems to have a complete aversion to controversial hires, I would never expect them to go for Pearl even if we were shopping for a new coach, and even if the 3-year ban was not in effect.

Bottom line is Pearl is a high-energy motivator, and a bit of a dirtbag (almost in a fun sort of way) - the antithesis of Tubby. He would just happen to have a real bad temporary handicap coming in. But some might argue what good is Tubby's recruiting anyways, when half the kids bolt anyways.

There are alot of good basketball coaches out there. Too many to mention in this forum. A good AD would find one. Fire Maturi and let the new AD hire a good coach with firte in his belly.

Please don't pine for:

I don't think we're in a position to dismiss entire categories. My top 5 would be

-Mike Rice-Rutgers
-Dino Gaudio-former Wake HC
-Miles
-Flip
-Jacobsen

-Grant already makes more than Tubby and we're probably going to have a massive buy-out if Tubby is fired for the 2 years left + whatever is on the pending extension. Just another reason that firing him is a bad idea for now.

-Eric Musselman would be a non-starter with the higher-ups

-Bruce Pearl: See Eric Musselman x 100.

I don't think we're in a position to dismiss entire categories. My top 5 would be

-Mike Rice-Rutgers
-Dino Gaudio-former Wake HC
-Miles
-Flip
-Jacobsen

-Grant already makes more than Tubby and we're probably going to have a massive buy-out if Tubby is fired for the 2 years left + whatever is on the pending extension. Just another reason that firing him is a bad idea for now.

-Eric Musselman would be a non-starter with the higher-ups

-Bruce Pearl: See Eric Musselman x 100.

But there are now new higher-ups:p

Can someone make an argument for Miles that doesn't begin and end with vague connections to Minnesota?

During Fife's tenure as head coach at IPFW,he made it past the quarter-finals of the Summit tourney twice,and both of those times he lost in the semis. I would hope we could get someone with a little better track record than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Fife

True, but do you even consider what kind of program he inherited, pretty much brand spanking new to D-I? I'd say Fife did a pretty darn good job @ IPFW considering he was one of the youngest (if not the youngest) head coaches when he was hired. He's got plenty of Big Ten ties & bloodlines, and he's now the top assistant for one of the best & most respected head coaches in the business at one of the best programs in the country. Certainly after a few years under his belt with Izzo, Fife as a Big Ten head coach would make a lot of sense to me. It seems to make sense for Izzo. ... that's good enough for me.

Maybe a B1G school that hires Fife strikes gold like Purdue did with Big 10er/alum Matt Painter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dane_Fife

True, but do you even consider what kind of program he inherited, pretty much brand spanking new to D-I? I'd say Fife did a pretty darn good job @ IPFW considering he was one of the youngest (if not the youngest) head coaches when he was hired. He's got plenty of Big Ten ties & bloodlines, and he's now the top assistant for one of the best & most respected head coaches in the business at one of the best programs in the country. Certainly after a few years under his belt with Izzo, Fife as a Big Ten head coach would make a lot of sense to me. It seems to make sense for Izzo. ... that's good enough for me.

And he has the coveted "Minnesota connection" that so many pine for - his Dad played for the Twins! :cool:

Go Gophers!!

Forget the new coaches for now.....
1. Keep Tubby but skip the extension for now- ask Tubby what it will take to succeed (win big)
2. Fire or retire Maturi -now would be a good time
3. Hire a new AD
4. Develop a vision for Gopher sports and facilities immediately with buy in from boosters and dates for deliverables
- future of Barn - practice facility- baseball field
5. re-evaluate Tubby and staff at year end with the newly developed vision in perspective

Forget the new coaches for now.....
1. Keep Tubby but skip the extension for now- ask Tubby what it will take to succeed (win big)
2. Fire or retire Maturi -now would be a good time
3. Hire a new AD
4. Develop a vision for Gopher sports and facilities immediately with buy in from boosters and dates for deliverables
- future of Barn - practice facility- baseball field
5. re-evaluate Tubby and staff at year end with the newly developed vision in perspective

The key is for Tubby to leave on his own terms, or last that the perception is that he is leaving on his own terms. The transition needs to be orderly. We don't do well in mad scrambles for coaches. Has a Gopher coach left on his own terms in the last 50 years?

The key is for Tubby to leave on his own terms, or last that the perception is that he is leaving on his own terms. The transition needs to be orderly. We don't do well in mad scrambles for coaches. Has a Gopher coach left on his own terms in the last 50 years?

Correct. Correct. And no (well actually, Dutcher quit out of dismay for the situation).

Whoever the "next" head coach might be, I'd like to see that person hire a former Gopher who can be molded into the coaching pipeline like Quincy Lewis or Al Nolen or one of the other "team leaders" from previous Gopher squads. It's time to start developing some Gopher "talent" from those who have been in the trenches, not just the "big time coach" of the week candidates. Players know what motivates players and YOUNGER former players/coaches know what motivates the guys we see in the gym these days.

Not gonna criticize this current group (of players) because they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Not ready to give up on them, but they need to break free from the "Tubby vise" and just play ball to win the game. That would be enough to take them over these current humps. Not enough against more talented teams, but the three B10 teams they've played so far were pretty evenly matched.

Whoever the "next" head coach might be, I'd like to see that person hire a former Gopher who can be molded into the coaching pipeline like Quincy Lewis or Al Nolen or one of the other "team leaders" from previous Gopher squads. It's time to start developing some Gopher "talent" from those who have been in the trenches, not just the "big time coach" of the week candidates. Players know what motivates players and YOUNGER former players/coaches know what motivates the guys we see in the gym these days.

Not gonna criticize this current group (of players) because they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Not ready to give up on them, but they need to break free from the "Tubby vise" and just play ball to win the game. That would be enough to take them over these current humps. Not enough against more talented teams, but the three B10 teams they've played so far were pretty evenly matched.

One of the names that would be a candidate if we had an opening is Ben Jacobson and he is already grooming a former Gopher:

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=205195378

Go Gophers!!

Sweet. Let's go all in for Bruce Pearl

Yes. Perhaps we need to approach any future coaching searches in a similar fashion to George Costanza's 'Opposite Theory'. "If every instinct we have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be correct".

I like a guy like Tim Floyd who has proven his abilities at multiple schools. Sure he had some NCAA issues in the past but not as severe as Pearl. I think your best bet if a change was made in the future is to hire a established head coach with a little tarnish to his image. Trying to find lightning in the bottle with a young up and comer or hot assistant at the moment seems more difficult to strike gold on.

New Higher-ups: My choice:
Eric Mussleman
Brian Dutcher
Bruce Pearl
Tim Floyd
Jimmy Williams ( Hee,hee)

Alright...Im going to say it again...just because I love getting called names...it is time to discuss replacing the Barn with a modern facility that can meet all the basketball teams needs including mens and womens practice, education, arena, locker room and training facilities along with the usual lounge and film rooms.

FromTheBarn, I mainly agree with you though I think Flip brings some unique positives to the table that could make him very attractive as a head coach. If he can bring in a former well known player as an assistant (Sam Cassell?) and can sell kids on Minnesota being a place that get you prepared for the league, he could do very well. We know his team will know what to do against a zone and he's always been known for his work with guards and college basketball is mainly about guard play.

As for assistant coaches, I am unsure why you would advocate a Duke assistant. Tommy Amaker, Quinn Snyder, Johnny Dawkins, none of the former Duke assistants have ever really hit it big after leaving Coach K. I'd also have a really, really hard time dealing with Wojo on our sidelines. I know Capel is at Duke now after losing the OU job, not sure his image will be repaired by the time we look for a coach.

I mostly agree with you that looking for a local (or regional) connection with seemingly EVERY hire that comes up is nauseating. I want the best coach possible with best reputation for both X's and O's and recruiting that we can possibly attract.

Top Bottom