Who will be Gophers coach when we win our next NCAA tourney game?

• Tubby Smith

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Flip Saunders

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Ben Jacobson

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Tim Miles

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (post prediction)

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

Hang in there, Stan!

No question, some losses are harder to get over than others. But just as the sun came up for me after Michigan State's crushing, sleep-depriving B1G championship football loss to Wisconsin, I found the sun came up today after the Gophers' maddening loss to the Hawkeyes. We gotta' keep believing better days are ahead. Whether it's with Tubby, Flip, Jacobson, Miles or an up-and-comer like Dane Fife (though I think Izzo is grooming Fife to be his replacement), we're going to break through. Keep the faith.

I'll run naked through the streets of Dinkytown if Flip is our next coach, slim chance I know, but he would be the guy for the job if you ask me. Bring on Trent Tucker as an assistant and I'd find it hard to believe they couldn't recruit top end talent year in and year out. Regardless a change needs to be made, we are 1 for 13 in Big Ten play in our last 14 games....an absolute joke. Most importantly, the great atmosphere of Williams Arena is a thing of the past. The Tubby "name" has officially lost its luster.

Eye of the Gopher said:
I'll run naked through the streets of Dinkytown if Flip is our next coach, slim chance I know, but he would be the guy for the job if you ask me. Bring on Trent Tucker as an assistant and I'd find it hard to believe they couldn't recruit top end talent year in and year out. Regardless a change needs to be made, we are 1 for 13 in Big Ten play in our last 14 games....an absolute joke. Most importantly, the great atmosphere of Williams Arena is a thing of the past. The Tubby "name" has officially lost its luster.

Better get Flip that practice facility then. Not saying tubby shouldn't still be better right now, but "top-end" talent won't be pounding on the barn doors until there is one.

Better get Flip that practice facility then. Not saying tubby shouldn't still be better right now, but "top-end" talent won't be pounding on the barn doors until there is one.

I absolutely agree with you on this. Some way or another, they need to find a way to come up with the 15 million needed to build the damn thing.

The one thing we have going for us is that the Washington Wizards are 0-6. I can't imagine Flip is enjoying himself much. I would like to think he would answer the phone and listen if Maturi made a phone call.

Eye of the Gopher said:
The one thing we have going for us is that the Washington Wizards are 0-6. I can't imagine Flip is enjoying himself much. I would like to think he would answer the phone and listen if Maturi made a phone call.

If anything, maybe flip wants a spot on tubby's staff? He is a big U guy and might want a little less pressure after his recent NBA struggles. It also gives people the "coaching shake up" without firing Tubby (which I don't think they should do, the U loves to fire coaches and it rarely works out. Especially with a lame duck AD and not much financial backing)

Here's a thought: Kenny Novak.

Please tell me the last time a major D-1 school hired a high school coach. It's not a good idea when it's Mike Grant and neither is this.

Off Topic Ken Novak Sr. Story

Sr or Jr?

Senior is pretty old. He was my 8th grade Social Studies teacher at North junior High in Hopkins in 1963. His was the class I went to immediately following the PA announcement that JFK had been shot. As I approached the classroom Sr. was standing outside the door crying.

A lasting memory.

Senior is pretty old. He was my 8th grade Social Studies teacher at North junior High in Hopkins in 1963. His was the class I went to immediately following the PA announcement that JFK had been shot. As I approached the classroom Sr. was standing outside the door crying.

A lasting memory.
Both Novaks are great guys and I love them dearly, but alas, Jr is not the answer to our Gopher woes.

Hang in there, Stan!

No question, some losses are harder to get over than others. But just as the sun came up for me after Michigan State's crushing, sleep-depriving B1G championship football loss to Wisconsin, I found the sun came up today after the Gophers' maddening loss to the Hawkeyes. We gotta' keep believing better days are ahead. Whether it's with Tubby, Flip, Jacobson, Miles or an up-and-comer like Dane Fife (though I think Izzo is grooming Fife to be his replacement), we're going to break through. Keep the faith.

I remember back in 1986 or 1987, during Clem's long conference losing streak, the Minnesota Daily published their annual parody issue. It was set a number of years in the future. In the story, Clemette Haskins was coaching the team after Clem's retirement, Todd Alexander Junior was playing on the team...and they were still trying to get over the hump and win a conference game. In the game story in the paper, Alexander had made the game close by hitting a 25-point field goal in the last minute (from the top of the opposing key), but they still lost. The story was humorous, but it reflected the discontent at the time, with people questioning whether the program would ever turn around. Of course, within a couple or so years they were in the Final 8.

Not that that's going to happen here in the next couple years, but you do have to have hope and faith that things can and will turn around, one way or another. I think this is still a potentially strong program with too much going for it to keep it down perpetually.

Other.

I think Tubby quits after this year and Saul Smith takes over.

I'm sure Tubby will be here - he's a good coach. Once again its easy to blame him for players getting hurt or in trouble the last few years.

Top-end talent won't be knocking on the doors until we can show them they will be in the NCAA tournament year after year.

I would like to see JB Bickerstaff take over, but I don't see it happening.

Bad Gopher: "I think this is still a potentially strong program with too much going for it to keep it down perpetually." You're right, the U of M has much going for it yet for decades the football team has been near the bottom of the conference and the basketball team about in the middle. To learn what it is that keeps us from recruiting the right kind of players to be near the top of the conference our share of the time, we should be interviewing the recruits whom we lose to other schools. Ask them what did the recruiter from X-university say about the U of M that made you decide not to sign with us. Maybe we can change those things that keep us down -- maybe not. At least we'd know.

Top Bottom