Look on the bright side

Cayman

Reaction score
At least games against Iowa don't count!

Plus Duke lost to Temple tonight in a program defining game. I would put money on them not winning another game this season, Coach K is one of the lamest excuses for a basketball coach I have ever seen.

So it looks like we can chill with Wisconsin and Duke as the worst basketball teams the world has ever seen.

At least games against Iowa don't count!

Plus Duke lost to Temple tonight in a program defining game. I would put money on them not winning another game this season, Coach K is one of the lamest excuses for a basketball coach I have ever seen.

So it looks like we can chill with Wisconsin and Duke as the worst basketball teams the world has ever seen.

Lame.

Wait until tomorrow, maybe more rational people will be on.

I honestly don't know how someone could make a joke at this point. I guess the denial stage of grief can last at least 10 months.

The "Iowa games don't count" portion of the post is kind of funny, I must admit.

Sorry zambam. It's time to face the facts.
I'm trying, and the fact that I'm looking at is that if we fire Tubby this is not a good job. I don't think many coaches with any potential will want to coach here. I just don't know where we would go if we were to fire Tubby.

I'm trying, and the fact that I'm looking at is that if we fire Tubby this is not a good job. I don't think many coaches with any potential will want to coach here. I just don't know where we would go if we were to fire Tubby.

There will always be plenty of up and coming coaches that will jump at this job. The key is to find the right one. Of course there are no guarantees.

We hired a big name coach last time. How has that worked out.

We've lost to three B1G teams so far. None of them look very good.

I honestly don't know how someone could make a joke at this point. I guess the denial stage of grief can last at least 10 months.

Forgive me if I don't base all of my feelings and emotions on the outcome of the last Gopher basketball game.

Also on the bright side the Illinois loss no longer stings!! I tried to be optimistic far to long.

Unfortunately, we also aren't going anywhere with Tubby. He performed reasonably well with Monson recruits, but once most of them were gone and he had only what he brought in, he missed the NCAA and NIT tourneys and is in danger of doing so again.

I nominate this for most worthless post of the year.
Well considering we are only in day 4 of the year 2012, it may be the most worthless post of the year up to this point, but we've got a long way to go. Your contributions consisting almost exclusively of bashing Tubby and "Good holy God we suck we suck we suck" are much more valuable than mine. What's the point of even being a fan if you have absolutely no hope for the team?
It's just basketball. I realize that's the focus of this portion of the board, and this is not a game we should have lost, should have been one of the easiest games on the conference schedule, I was disappointed with the loss as well, but still, it's just basketball. It sucks that we lost, but it's not gonna wreck my week. I'll just be that much more anxious for the next game and hope we win so that for a brief while all the negative nancies will stay off the board for awhile as they mourn the victory because it means there's nothing to go complain about on Gopherhole.

It's just basketball. I realize that's the focus of this portion of the board, and this is not a game we should have lost, should have been one of the easiest games on the conference schedule, I was disappointed with the loss as well, but still, it's just basketball. It sucks that we lost, but it's not gonna wreck my week. I'll just be that much more anxious for the next game and hope we win so that for a brief while all the negative nancies will stay off the board for awhile as they mourn the victory because it means there's nothing to go complain about on Gopherhole.

Thats great. Maybe you are one the fans that can go "Ah schucks" when we lose and hope for the best. But the reality is this a bottom B10 team and for the fans that give a dam and want to seem them succeed at a high level, the painful waiting will continue.

The bright side? What bright side. There is no bright side. All the Brewstering (yes that's a word now) in the world won't change the facts. This team is lost - and they got there in a hurry.

Unfortunately, we also aren't going anywhere with Tubby. He performed reasonably well with Monson recruits, but once most of them were gone and he had only what he brought in, he missed the NCAA and NIT tourneys and is in danger of doing so again.

+1,000,000,000

I think you are wrong on this one. I think it shows more how overrated Tubby Smith is as a coach. Most of his success was a result of having the name "Kentucky" attached to his chest when he entered a recruit's home. Oh, and that championship ring he is sporting on his finger gave him some mileage and prolonged his career there.

He deserves all the credit in the world for winning that championship even if it was with Pitino's players. But I just think this is further proof that without inheriting that championship potential team, he never would have had as successful of a career as he has had. Obviously, just my humble little opinion.

I think we need to try and land a coach who has actually built a program from scratch, from the gutter if we can't lure a big, proven winner. Tubby Smith never did that.

I wish Tubby would prove me wrong but nothing in his first four years, aside from that one Big Ten tourney run, gives me any sort of confidence his teams can steadily improve throughout an entire season and gel at the end.

Except he didn't even have all of what he brought in. Half of what he brings in transfers or gets injured at the worst possible times. I'm sure no one would have a beef with Tubby if he actually had what he brought in. We would probably have Trevor Mbakwe and Ralph Sampson III starting in the front court with Colt, Eliason, and Mo to back them up. A deep front court consisting solely of Tubby recruits, unfortunately one of them transferred, and two of them are injured. Starting at the 1, 2, and 3 would be an improved Justin Cobbs as a junior, senior Devoe Joseph, and junior Royce White, with the Hollins', Joe Coleman, and Rodney Williams backing them up.

Three of what would likely be our starting five have transferred, and one of them is injured. We would likely be competing for Big Ten titles if Tubby actually had what he brought in, but so much of what he brings in becomes unable to play here for one reason or another.
Thats great. Maybe you are one the fans that can go "Ah schucks" when we lose and hope for the best. But the reality is this a bottom B10 team and for the fans that give a dam and want to seem them succeed at a high level, the painful waiting will continue.
I was bummed about the loss as well, I think we all were, but I don't think I'm less of a fan for not giving up on the season after a single bad game. Like I said, I was bummed about the game, but I didn't want to let it ruin my night or my week, and I knew there would be tons of doom and gloom posts after the game, so I tried to inject a little bit of humor into the situation. Whenever I get so down about sports, I try to do something else to get my mind off it and cheer myself up, instead of coming to Gopherhole to wallow in the loss and question if we will ever win a game again.
The bright side? What bright side. There is no bright side. All the Brewstering (yes that's a word now) in the world won't change the facts. This team is lost - and they got there in a hurry.
You would have found out what the bright side was if you read the very first sentence of my post. It was a joke, but apparently it's inappropriate to make jokes at the funeral of the 2011-12 Golden Gopher basketball season.

I don't think the team got lost in a hurry so much as you jumped to the conclusion that they are lost in a hurry. It was one bad game, there will be other games, there will be other chances to win, I still think we can get to 9 wins this season, this game should have been one of them, but we slipped up. You see this game as season defining, I see it as a hiccup. Try to have some fun watching the remaining games, even though the season has already been lost with a winning record and 85% of the conference slate left to play.

I have been a tubby backer but, lets face it, his national recruiting has been a total failure. If he wants fan support he has to turn this around.

Ditto, well said.

But it is also well said that trying to hire a new coach right now would be a terrible thing. Who would come here?

It is not that good of a job anyway. Probably between 7-9 in the B10.

figi said:
I have been a tubby backer but, lets face it, his national recruiting has been a total failure. If he wants fan support he has to turn this around.

If Mabakwe, Joseph and Royce were here none of you people would be complaining about Tubby because we would be winning. Yet let's blame Tubby for those situations and call for his head. We HAD the recruits to win.

Parski1 said:
If Mabakwe, Joseph and Royce were here none of you people would be complaining about Tubby because we would be winning. Yet let's blame Tubby for those situations and call for his head. We HAD the recruits to win.

But he doesn't have the players anymore and like it or not that falls on him. Would of, could of, it doesn't work that way. The buck stops at the head coach and it is his job to recruit talent and depth so that a transfer or injury doesn't cripple the whole program.

Look on the bright side. Pitt just lost to DePaul

College BB for me this season.. ahh

/sobs

I have to defend Cayman just a bit here. He is trying to instill some perspective. Iowa took that game from the Gophers last night because they zoned us, we slouched, they took the momentum, they had some talent too and hung on. The injury/transfer/young hampered Gophers aren't a great club right now. Losing those two close games on the road hurt their confidence, thus a let down at home against a non top 25 opponent was foreseeable. That's why I had said before the game IOWA was a must win. Those suffering from severe disappointment syndrome (SDS is a medically diagnosable condition found collectably among Gopher fans, myself included, contagious, and can be spread by the spoken and written word alone) have to admit that Iowa really isn't that bad, could even win 8 to 10 games with 2 road wins in the bank. The B1G is competitive this year. NW made IL sweat last night too. But fact is the Gophers have lost 3 games now which could be classified as less than 2 point losses (categorizing the IL 2OT game as such). They are close, but psychologically damaged and desperately in need of WIN vs. PURDUE.

I believe that many people's major concerns are not with his recruiting, but the ability to keep players here. At least that would be my concern. IF all the players he signed were on the team today, they would be a top 15 team IMO. But there has to be some blame on the HC for not keeping them. Fair or not. He would be getting all the credit if they were winning, he should get heat when they are not.

My thoughts exactly. People give him a lot of crap, but plenty has happened that was out of his control, and if it hadn't happened, people probably wouldn't be calling for his head. We were a lock for the tournament last season, probably would have been a 5 seed mininum, until Nolen went down, which also occurred shortly after Devoe's midseason transfer.

But he doesn't have the players anymore and like it or not that falls on him. Would of, could of, it doesn't work that way. The buck stops at the head coach and it is his job to recruit talent and depth so that a transfer or injury doesn't cripple the whole program.
Key word here is the word "a." If it were only one, we'd be in great shape.

2009-10 season
Royce White suspended due to criminal charges, later transfers without ever playing a game in maroon and gold.
Trevor Mbakwe suspended due to criminal charges
Al Nolen becomes academically ineligible for second semester (I recall he had family troubles that could have caused a drop in his grades and Tubby tried to get him a waiver so he could still play)

2010 offseason
Justin Cobbs transfers to be closer to home
Paul Carter transfers to be closer to his sister with cancer
Both are replaced by spring recruits

2010-11 season
Oto Osieniks doesn't get past NCAA clearinghouse, allowed to practice with team but not play
Devoe Joseph begins the season on suspension
Mo Walker goes down with a knee injury. Had the injury occurred a mere two games earlier, he would have been eligible for a hardship waiver
Devoe Joseph transfers to Oregon midseason after being suspended on two occasions earlier in the season
Al Nolen suffers season ending foot injury in January, only a week or two after Joseph's transfer
Maverick Ahanmisi is the only point guard or combo guard left on the team, Hoff becomes the primary point guard, Rodney moves to the two, $hitstorm brews

2011 offseason
Colton Iverson transfers
Replaced by spring recruit
Julian Welch joins Gophers

2011-12 season
Mo Walker still not playing halfway through season, a year and a month or two after the injury
Trevor Mbakwe injured in the 6th game

Over the last three seasons, this one included, we have had no less than:
5 transfers
3 season ending injuries
3 players unexpectedly sit on the bench for a season
1 player who was academically ineligible for second semester and thus, most of the conference schedule
1 player who was suspended for most of the first half of the season, before transferring in January

Transfers have become a yearly occurrence, and we've had 3 season ending injuries in the last two years. Last season we had a midseason transfer and a season ending injury at the same position, and not just any position, but at PG, perhaps the most vital position on the team.

I have to defend Cayman just a bit here. He is trying to instill some perspective. Iowa took that game from the Gophers last night because they zoned us, we slouched, they took the momentum, they had some talent too and hung on. The injury/transfer/young hampered Gophers aren't a great club right now. Losing those two close games on the road hurt their confidence, thus a let down at home against a non top 25 opponent was foreseeable. That's why I had said before the game IOWA was a must win. Those suffering from severe disappointment syndrome (SDS is a medically diagnosable condition found collectably among Gopher fans, myself included, contagious, and can be spread by the spoken and written word alone) have to admit that Iowa really isn't that bad, could even win 8 to 10 games with 2 road wins in the bank. The B1G is competitive this year. NW made IL sweat last night too. But fact is the Gophers have lost 3 games now which could be classified as less than 2 point losses (categorizing the IL 2OT game as such). They are close, but psychologically damaged and desperately in need of WIN vs. PURDUE.
Thank you, your post is very rational and reasonable.

Top Bottom