Love that Mav takes all of our last 2nd shots

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
What I like mot about this team is that our lightly skilled Mav has taken it on himself to puke all over 2 last second shots in 3 games. If I'm Hamline or Bethel, he's my guy. If I'm a big ten team led by the immortal coach and recruiting wunderkind Tubby Smith, not so much

What I like mot about this team is that our lightly skilled Mav has taken it on himself to puke all over 2 last second shots in 3 games. If I'm Hamline or Bethel, he's my guy. If I'm a big ten team led by the immortal coach and recruiting wunderkind Tubby Smith, not so much
Don't fault Mav for these. His teammates aren't even TRYING to do anything to get the ball.

Gotta agree with zambam. Nobody else near the basket for a pass or a put-back. Kinda lonely out there for Mav.

Don't fault Mav for these. His teammates aren't even TRYING to do anything to get the ball.

It wouldn't matter if his teammates were looking for the ball. Mav runs the length of the court, head down and gets caught in traffic or too far under the basket before he looks up and knows where he is.

This team has a big problem with PG. You can't just recruit "athletes" for the position. Look at all the other programs in the conference...the quality programs all have a cerebral PG who can see the floor and shoot when needed...not the opposite of what we have.

Last year you can blame it on not having a true PG...this year??? I'm convinced we do not have a TRUE PG.

Mav doesn't even appear to be looking to pass...in both games, he had his sites on the basket and that was it. I'd like to see the guard bringing up the ball pass to a wing player and then continue his run to the basket. A 20 to 30 foot pass is a lot faster than trying to dribble around and thru an entire team.

At least Tubby is going down with his man.

Who the hell was he going to pass it to last night. Nobody was even there. Three of his teammates I don't think even made it to the 3 point line before the buzzer went off. At least Mav tried to tie it up.

In all fairness, Tubby said the play was drawn up for it to go to Welch, he wasn't open and Mav had a clear lane to the basket, so he went for it.

From the presser last night I tweeted:

Tubby: Maverick did the best he could to take the ball to the basket. Suppose to be a hand-off and pick and roll for Julian, didn't execute

Rodney said this:
Rodney: At the end, we were looking to get the ball to Julian, and Mav had a clear path to the bucket, we thought it would go in.

Both Big Ten games last night ended in similar fashion. In the NU/ILL game, Crawford took the ball the length of the court and went down the left side of the lane and tossed up an ill-advised shot in front of Meyers Lenard, which he promptly swatted away. Mav basically did the same thing, but at least did not get his shot blocked. Both guys never even thought about passing, and had time to.

That final shot should have been taken by Welch or Ralph, bottom line.

In this case, the red sea was parting for Maverick, so he did what came naturally. Iowa was not going to foul, and they had allowed no passing lanes. It was the right play at that moment; he just needs to make the shot. A very makeable shot.

Top Bottom