Amelia Rayno: Walker practicing but no timetable for return; Osenieks questionable

As much as I'd love to have him back, I feel like he has to red shirt. It's in the best interest of him and the team. Don't rush it and risk re-injury and also better to ease him back in the nonconference.

He'd be a huge help for this team right now, but gotta think about him and the future here.

As much as I'd love to have him back, I feel like he has to red shirt. It's in the best interest of him and the team. Don't rush it and risk re-injury and also better to ease him back in the nonconference.

He'd be a huge help for this team right now, but gotta think about him and the future here.

Agreed.

Yep, let's just redshirt him. We could have Dre, Joe, EE, Oto, and Mo as seniors, that would be pretty appealing.

You still think Dre will become a good point guard? I don't and have felt that way all along. I'm getting sick of all these combo guards trying to run the point. I wish we could recruit and sign a pg who has played the position their whole career.

You still think Dre will become a good point guard? I don't and have felt that way all along. I'm getting sick of all these combo guards trying to run the point. I wish we could recruit and sign a pg who has played the position their whole career.

Agreed. Mav is probably a true pg and he has improved since last year, but he is a back-up pg at best.

Still way too early to tell IMO.

Exactly. No comparisons but we have had Mel Newbern and Bobby Jackson in the past who were not true points but either handled or shared the position in a great way for the Gophers in the past. Jackson had some of the same troubles as a junior early on that Hollins is having today. Newbern was a turnover machine as a soph. All I know about Hollins is that the players say that he has a lot more than he is showing, that he is a kid that was Mr Basketball in Tennessee a state that has a whole lot of good HS Players and that he dropped in 43 against Findlay Prep last year prompting the opposing coach to say that he was one of the best players in the country. Who knows where he ends up playing (point or 2) but he needs to be on the court and improving for us to get a lot better.

I don't think he'll ever be that "true" point who controls the offense by setting up other guys Rubio-style and getting 7 assists a game, no.

But in college basketball, that is not a necessity. What I hope to see from Dre in the future, is being a guy who controls the game by putting pressure on the defense through his scoring ability, which will open up opportunities for others to get their looks because the defense is focused on him. It looked like he was starting to warm up a little before that ankle injury, and with young players, that can be a problem, learning how to play through injuries like that.

Exactly. No comparisons but we have had Mel Newbern and Bobby Jackson in the past who were not true points but either handled or shared the position in a great way for the Gophers in the past. Jackson had some of the same troubles as a junior early on that Hollins is having today. Newbern was a turnover machine as a soph. All I know about Hollins is that the players say that he has a lot more than he is showing, that he is a kid that was Mr Basketball in Tennessee a state that has a whole lot of good HS Players and that he dropped in 43 against Findlay Prep last year prompting the opposing coach to say that he was one of the best players in the country. Who knows where he ends up playing (point or 2) but he needs to be on the court and improving for us to get a lot better.

Keep in mind Jackson was first used at pg but moved to sg, where he played mostly as a sr.

I think Andre may be able to play pg but his better suited for sg.

Keep in mind Jackson was first used at pg but moved to sg, where he played mostly as a sr.

I think Andre may be able to play pg but his better suited for sg.

True about Jackson. The main thing was to get him on the court and let him play with confidence- which Clem did in Jackson Sr. year.

If Mo can go in the next couple of weeks then he is playing. We need another big that can rebound and score and Tubby will not red shirt him. If 2 weeks from now we are anywhere near 500 in the Big, he plays beyond a doubt (assuming he can).

If Mo can go in the next couple of weeks then he is playing. We need another big that can rebound and score and Tubby will not red shirt him. If 2 weeks from now we are anywhere near 500 in the Big, he plays beyond a doubt (assuming he can).
It seems that Tubby is going to let Mo decide.

While it would be nice to have Moe for three years on the court, I would actually like him to start playing this year, if he can in the next couple of weeks. Since we lose Trevor and Ralph and Rodney for next year (already lost Trevor), it would be nice if Moe isn't starting from scratch next year. Him building chemistry with teammates can only help next year. Sure, he would only have two more years but thats why we keep recruiting. If he cannot go soon, then sure, redshirt him.

While it would be nice to have Moe for three years on the court, I would actually like him to start playing this year, if he can in the next couple of weeks. Since we lose Trevor and Ralph and Rodney for next year (already lost Trevor), it would be nice if Moe isn't starting from scratch next year. Him building chemistry with teammates can only help next year. Sure, he would only have two more years but thats why we keep recruiting. If he cannot go soon, then sure, redshirt him.

+1. If the last 3 years have taught us anything, it's to worry about now, not 2015. If he can help now, let him play. Who knows if he will be around in 2015 for any # of reasons.

Mo would be nice for post game, rebounding, and especially setting picks. Last year we had 3 good pick setters: Hoff, Iverson, and Trevor... all gone.

howeda7 said:
+1. If the last 3 years have taught us anything, it's to worry about now, not 2015. If he can help now, let him play. Who knows if he will be around in 2015 for any # of reasons.

After last night, I am starting to come around to this line of thinking.

If the goal is to win this year, get him playing. If this year is now a give-up. Redshirt him.

Top Bottom