Only One way to Guarantee Success at the U of M! Time to face it.......

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
Many on this board are in two different camps. All with great intentions with a the same goal to win!

> One camp are those who think the U of M is on the verge of becoming a major sports power like OSU, the Badgers, Florida,etc and we are are on the cusp of becoming a Great Athletic University. It will just take a little more time. Some are even delusional and think we are a great Athletic University! These are the Sid Hartman --livin in the 50's Old Neighbor "CCO crowd"...We love you all --and keep chasing that rainbow!

> Another camp are those who think simply firing Maturi and possibly even releasing Tubby will fix all the Ills at the Athletic Department and the Basketball program. These folks are the Hire the "Mike Leach" Group or bring in even a bigger name basketball name like Bobby Knight or the Next "hot young" Mid-Major Coach which will guarantee Men's Hoops success....

Both of these groups are dysfunctional. Both have the same lofty Goals and have the same great intentions. Unfortunately, both of these groups will achieve the same results in the end. They have for the past 50 years. Its called LOSING! It's called Bottom 1/3rd of the Big Ten, it's called Mediocrity.....

This Athletic Departments issues are a lot deeper than Joel Maturi. We can bring in a New AD, we can bring in even a BIGGER time basketball coach, we can even hire Tony Dungy as an AD and unfortunately, we will still be losers.

Now the solution is as follows:

The Presidents office, the Board Of Regents, and the Boosters need to make a Financial, AND programmatic commitment to winning in the Revenue Producing Sports. Anything short of this commitment will produce the same results we have experienced for the better part of five decades.

From a business perspective, if we don't have this type of support, we may as well let Tubby go, save a million dollars or more (maybe to pay Jimmy Williams ), and bring on a small D1 or D2 coach. We will get the same mediocre results and save money to boot. Then none of us will be frustrated by the fence walkers that exist in Minnesota's only D1 Public University.....

This Mens Basketball Program needs a new Basketball Arena, a Practice Facility, and the reveue producing sports (MBB,MFB,MH,WB) needs support from the Board of Regents, the Presidents office, and the Administration to succeed. All of this takes MONEY and a commitment to success....

I am back.......

There is NO way to guarantee success.

Go away.

You Go Girl!

Where would Duke, Kansas, and Butler be without their new aren...

Oh, never mind.

I'm not sure what the OP thinks is so profound. No one would dispute that better support from the Regents, a new AD, a new practice facility and probably even a new arena are all needed now or fairly soon.

Let's start with a new AD, hope they can make headway on the practice facility and go from there. In the meantime, let's hope Tubby can get us to the NCAA's, win a game (or 3), and sign that contract extension gathering dust in 'the lawyer's' office.

Did the village idiot say anything useful....I still have him on ignore from before....

Time to face it.......nobody respects your opinion because you post nothing of substance.

Just so you know Ruesse stated today that it's time for a new basketball arena for the Gophers. Spencer agreed.

Just thought I should throw this in since I am Ruesse's 'lap dog'.:)

do you think any Big Time financier / doner would contribute a significant amount of Money to a program that did not have a solid commitment from the BOR and the ADM that the money was going to be used to improve REVENUE sports? Has anyone ever figured out why the Athletic Department has such a difficult time raising money? It is not all Joel Maturi--he is a nice guy. There is very little confidence in the whole eco-system. Nobody asks us what the real issues are........ wait....Gophergay and Dr Donald are too busy correcting grammar and adding no value to any post...other then to stroke their insecure egos, then to try to get to the root of any issue.......

I don't doubt the need for a practice facility, why would you ever replace an arena that gives you one of the best home court advantages in the game. A little success and a new practive facility would do more than enough as far as recruiting is concerned.

jovs said:
I don't doubt the need for a practice facility, why would you ever replace an arena that gives you one of the best home court advantages in the game. A little success and a new practive facility would do more than enough as far as recruiting is concerned.

I'd be fine with a new arena as long as they don't make it "NBA like", they keep the raised floor, and it'd be nice to put the student section along the side, but thats not a deal breaker for me.

Top Bottom