Final thoughts

book

Reaction score
We just can't play from behind in these games and expect to win it in the last minutes!

My blood pressure is too high for these games. But do we have the mental toughness
to win any close game on the road? We could be 2 and 0 or at worst 1 and 1..

And we could be 0-2 and that is what we are. We don't need the moral victories we need an actual win.

We'll be okay. There's plenty of games to go. Just protect home and snatch a few on the road and we'll make it to the tourney.

We had two 'snatchable' games and lost both - that hurts in the big scheme of things. Every home game is now even more important.

And we could be 0-2 and that is what we are. We don't need the moral victories we need an actual win.

I agree. Between Gopher football, Gopher hockey, and Gopher basketball, if we got credit for all the times that people say "we hung in there" or "we fought back at the end" or "we did a lot of things right" or "we are improving" then we would have championship caliber teams across the board. I am not going to get exciting about losing but only by a little just the same as I was not upset that we only won by a little at NDSU. Only two thins can happen in a college basketball game, and our first two B1G games resulted in the worst possible outcome.

I hope nobody tries to spin this game as a positve. The Gophers somehow outshot Michigan from 3 and still played from behind the entire game. 2 Huge aspects of the game were the Gophers inability to get rebounds and the Gophers inability to stop the high screen for Burke down the stretch. One was a effort/awareness issue and the other was a skill/coaching issue.

Really wish we had ONE player who could create his own shot.

Unfortunately, the scheduling gods didn't do us any favor with 2 road games to start the conference, but it'll even itself later on and I think we'll bounce back. Not too many B1G teams are winning on the road right now, so most other teams would've been 0-2 as well playing Illinois and Michigan. Yes they were very winnable (and frustrating), but also it's not the end of the world either. If we start losing to PSU and Nebraska, I'll start worrying.

I hope nobody tries to spin this game as a positve. The Gophers somehow outshot Michigan from 3 and still played from behind the entire game. 2 Huge aspects of the game were the Gophers inability to get rebounds and the Gophers inability to stop the high screen for Burke down the stretch. One was a effort/awareness issue and the other was a skill/coaching issue.

Burke was to quick for any of the Gophers, he blew by Ahamisi, Andre Hollins, and Welch. He's very good, especially for a freshman.

Allowing Michigan offensive rebounds cost them the game, that five point play off of a rebound killed them.

even before losing their best player the Gophers were picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference. the truth was and still is that the team is a NIT sqaud at best.

Gophers and Wolves are 0 and 5 on close games so far. How about moral Victory city...

even before losing their best player the Gophers werre picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference. the truth was and still is that the team is a NIT sqaud at best.

The fact that Tubby built a team that caused experts to predict us to be bad will not make me less upset about being bad. If we are an NIT squad, then Tubby is not earning his salary. I would also argue that not making the final 32 would mean the same thing.

Tubby does not like that type of player. He likes Ahanmisi. He could be developing Hollins, a guy who is raw but has the talent you speak of. However, it appears that Tubby would prefer to play this way. We were promised fast paced basektball and a team that would wear other teams out. Instead we have Ahanmis at the point and we are playing rope a dope ball. We have a hockey line substitution twice a game instead of a constant influx of fresh bodies due to our depth advantage.

Unfortunately, the scheduling gods didn't do us any favor with 2 road games to start the conference, but it'll even itself later on and I think we'll bounce back. Not too many B1G teams are winning on the road right now, so most other teams would've been 0-2 as well playing Illinois and Michigan. Yes they were very winnable (and frustrating), but also it's not the end of the world either. If we start losing to PSU and Nebraska, I'll start worrying.

Michigan St, Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin have all won road games so far. road teams are actually 4-7 at this point.

Burke was to quick for any of the Gophers, he blew by Ahamisi, Andre Hollins, and Welch. He's very good, especially for a freshman.

Allowing Michigan offensive rebounds cost them the game, that five point play off of a rebound killed them.

No argument with Burke being too quick for Ahanmisi and Welch, but as Gary Williams pointed out numerous times the Gophers continued to go OVER the screen instead of under it. Tubby decided continually switching players from Maverick, Welch, Andre, Chip, to Austin Holllins was on Burke instead of switching the way we defended the play was the way to go.

The fact that Tubby built a team that caused experts to predict us to be bad will not make me less upset about being bad. If we are an NIT squad, then Tubby is not earning his salary. I would also argue that not making the final 32 would mean the same thing.

the squad simply doesn't have enough overall talent and yes that falls on the head coach.

Michigan St, Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin have all won road games so far. road teams are actually 4-7 at this point.

Save Iowa, those road wins came at bottom feeder teams. The Gophers got the ass end of the scheduling. I don't think there's any doubt about that. That's not an excuse, just saying that it'll even itself out towards the end, that's why I'm still optimistic.

Played better than I thought

I thought they would have a hangover game after losing in DOT. When I saw the kickout to Rodney I said:"oops" This team still shoots itself in the foot.
5 sec call on Mav, a couple of unforced errors on Drea to mention a few.
They need to beat Iowa, which I thought would be very winnable until they beat Wisconsin on the road.

ruppertflywheel said:
I thought they would have a hangover game after losing in DOT. When I saw the kickout to Rodney I said:"oops" This team still shoots itself in the foot.
5 sec call on Mav, a couple of unforced errors on Drea to mention a few.
They need to beat Iowa, which I thought would be very winnable until they beat Wisconsin on the road.

Who is Drea? You keep typing that.

Who is Drea? You keep typing that.

Andre Hollins.

I thought for 90% of the game we looked very "uninterested". This is not a great team...BUT...they have the capabilities to beat some better team and of course, some deficiencies to lose to teams we think they should beat. If Tubby can hold this young group together, the future is pretty bright. We are kidding ourselves if we think that this is an NCAA team, particularly without a pre-season all American playing. Win a couple in the NIT and I think we have something to build on.

Andre Hollins.

I thought for 90% of the game we looked very "uninterested". This is not a great team...BUT...they have the capabilities to beat some better team and of course, some deficiencies to lose to teams we think they should beat. If Tubby can hold this young group together, the future is pretty bright. We are kidding ourselves if we think that this is an NCAA team, particularly without a pre-season all American playing. Win a couple in the NIT and I think we have something to build on.

in year 5 of what this coach is paid per season and to "Win a couple in the NIT..." hoping that it is something to build on doesn't seem right.

scools12 said:
in year 5 of what this coach is paid per season and to "Win a couple in the NIT..." hoping that it is something to build on doesn't seem right.

It is what it is. This team should have Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Cobbs, and Iverson. They don't.

If you want to fault the coach for the attrition, that is understandable. Saying this team shouldn't be rebuilding is ignoring the situation.

Few random thoughts & ramblings...

Team keeps having horrible stretches in the first half of games.. today it went more than 7 minutes. How about inserting a player or two (i.e., Coleman, Oto) into the game with a few of the starters instead of the massive 5-man sub? Maybe try it once??

I'll probably never understand the substitution pattern (i.e., 4 or 5 subs together at once in the first ten minutes of the first half).

Ralph probably needs to take that shot in the lane late in the game. Wish he would have.

Good job of stepping up once again by Julian Welch.

Michigan is not a good offensive rebounding team. Their 42% OR% today does not reflect well on Minnesota. Only Virginia Tech has done better against the U this year.

See above re: rebounding. Austin Hollins with another zero-rebound day. I like all the different things he can do on the court, but man.. for the length and bounce he has, the inability to rebound is frustrating.

See above re: rebounding. 19-6 second chance points in favor of Michigan.
Eliason isn't ready to contribute in other areas yet, but I will say this -- the kid can help this team rebound.

4 quick turnovers by Michigan.. then they settled down and only had 6 in the last... 36 mins or so. Too bad the Gophers couldn't take advantage.

Another run 'n gun game! 59 possessions for Gophers, 58 for Michigan.

If you can't beat Michigan when you better their eFG% 51% to 44%, then you're in trouble.

TO Rate favored Michigan - no surprise unlike the OR% - (22% Minn, 17% Mich).

Gophers don't like to get to the line. Need to draw contact, fellas. (44% FTR or so for Mich.. 16% for the U)

Joe Coleman will fight for boards and draw fouls. Give him some more time.

Starting point guard had 1 assist, 3 turnovers in 27 minutes. Reserve point guard had 3 assists, 1 turnover in 14 minutes.

Individual offensive efficiency: Ralph, Julian & Austin were all fine. Rodney not very good (~91 ORtg) after good first half; Dre and Maverick real rough.

Dope Duo - ELIASON (in 12 mins!) and Julian.

I thought it was a good game. Gophers have those spells when they can't buy a basket. I thought Oto looked better, I like some of the things Eliason did. Coleman had a nice block on Hardaway. Armelin had some points off the bench. Trade point guards and this is no contest. I think it's going to take till the end of the year or even next year before Andre Hollins is ready. They're a pretty gutty team, hard to shake. Next 5 games.....4 W's?

The Iowa home game is a must win. Assuming for sake of argument the Gophers take care of home business, then they must win 3 of next 4, Purdue (Home win), Indiana (likely Road Loss), Penn State (Road Win) and Northwestern (Home Win). Tubby will remind his guys they can play with any B1G team, just have to close the deal at the rim and at the end. I'm just saying, if we get these two home wins, we can turn it around. If we don't then it will be a sub .500 B1G season and NIT at best.

Before folks admonish Tubby too harshly, consider that most of the successful B1G programs recruit from within their state, e.g., MI, OSU, PUR, MSU, IL. Minnesota produced Royce and Rodney in the same year and Tubby got them. He got Coleman. Can't blame the coach for Royce's self-destructive choices. So Tubby looks down the road and says, in two years MN produces some top tier prospects. I say, link the Vikes' stadium with some $$ for a practice facility so recruits aren't awed by Michigan's IPads at each locker (see Marcus Tweet) as compared to some rustry lockers and a dash across the street on the East Bank.

Some people may not like it and want to split hairs with the "ifs, ands, & buts about Tubby" but the fact is that in a 5th year
of basketball with a coach that Tubby was suppose to be, Making the NCAA Tourn. should not be "hoped for" it should be automatic. Tubby still doesn't even have an NIT win. Yet some will defend him and make excuses until the end.

Starting point guard had 1 assist, 3 turnovers in 27 minutes. Reserve point guard had 3 assists, 1 turnover in 14 minutes.

Individual offensive efficiency: Ralph, Julian & Austin were all fine. Rodney not very good (~91 ORtg) after good first half; Dre and Maverick real rough.

Dope Duo - ELIASON (in 12 mins!) and Julian.

If Julian can' t play the point, I'm not too optimistic about this team. Need a combination of Chip, Joe and Oto to play the Maverick minutes with Julian at point if Tubby doesn't trust Dre.

Totally agree about the mixing in versus line change substitution patterns

Tubby ALWAYS promises fast paced, up and down, high scoring ball. ALWAYS Then he ALWAYS goes back to slow down, pass it around and think about defense ball. ALWAYS When questioned he will blame the players saying he doesn't have the talent to play fast paced and must play with what he has. Or he will blame them for not doing as he teaches them and tells the fans who question him that he is the "expert" and knows what he is doing. 20 years of coaching and 1 Final Four to show for it. 5 years at Minn. and still no NCAA or NIT wins. Wait until "next year"

Before folks admonish Tubby too harshly, consider that most of the successful B1G programs recruit from within their state, e.g., MI, OSU, PUR, MSU, IL.

Not sure that's exactly right...just a few examples I'm thinking of...don't quote me on these, but pretty sure.

MSU
2012 top recruit - Gary Harris from Indiana
2011 top recruit - BJ Dawson from Indiana
2010 - Payne from OH, Byrd from Indiana
MICH
2012 Mitch McGary - Indiana kid I think orig, playing on the east coast,.. Glenn Robinson Jr. from Indiana and a legacy Purdue father..Stauskas from Canada
2011 Trey Burke (you saw what he can do today) is from Ohio
2010 Smotrycz is from the east coast.. Hardaway - Florida
tOSU
2011 class.. Shannon Scott, Amir Williams, Sam Thompson, LaQuinton Ross all from out of state
2010 DeShaun Thomas, Craft, Smith, Sibert all from out of state

I would have pointed out that they recruit from their own states or border states.

I would have pointed out that they recruit from their own states or border states.

Yep. Not much luck in that regard for Tubby with next door neighbors either, despite some recent talent in WI & IA.

With Luke Fischer's commitment to Indiana earlier today, the three top 2013 kids from Wisconsin already have homes (Koenig-WI and Burton-Marquette). (Still a number of D1 kids in WI '13 available, though.)

Top Bottom