Marcus tweets on Mo Walker & Practice Facility

scher215

Reaction score
Looks like Mo is doing some work with the team for warm ups.

“@GophersNow: Mo Walker joining his teammates for the pre-game warmup in shorts and shirt. Not participating though. Looks in good shape like I've said.”

“@GophersNow: Walker is actually going through the layup line right now. Not surprising though he's not getting up that high. Most I've seen lately.”

“@GophersNow: Walker again warming up with the team, stretching and doing layups before the game.”

“@GophersNow: Just heard Michigan's practice facility has I-Pads attached to every locker so that players can have access to game video, plays, etc. Wow!”

“@GophersNow: Tubby and his assistant coaches took a tour of Michigan's news practice facility. He said it was nicer than Kentucky's. Best in Big 10.”

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Michigan program is in better shape right now not because of ipads (or the generic I-pad) or a flashy practice facility, but because they hired Beilein while Maturi went with a Tubby Smith-type hire.

skoalvikings said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Michigan program is in better shape right now not because of ipads (or the generic I-pad) or a flashy practice facility, but because they hired Beilein while Maturi went with a Tubby Smith-type hire.

Yet tubby has a better record than beilein. Hm.

bga1 said:
What direction is each program headed?

I'd say that has something to do with facilities and in state talent as well. As monter said in another thread, MN doesn't have a clear solid high d1 player again until 2014, and since the Royce/Rodney class only joe Coleman has been a ranked player.

A lot easier to recruit with state of the art facilities too, I bet recruits think those iPads are pretty nice to have.

it is just not fair. there has to be at least another dozen or so excuses why Minnesota's program is headed in the opposite direction.

I'd say that has something to do with facilities and in state talent as well. As monter said in another thread, MN doesn't have a clear solid high d1 player again until 2014, and since the Royce/Rodney class only joe Coleman has been a ranked player.

A lot easier to recruit with state of the art facilities too, I bet recruits think those iPads are pretty nice to have.

The lack of talent in this state is the number one reason why we had to hire a big name 2 million dollar coach. At that price he should be able to recruit successfully out of state.

bga1 said:
The lack of talent in this state is the number one reason why we had to hire a big name 2 million dollar coach. At that price he should be able to recruit successfully out of state.

He has. They just haven't stayed for four years.

Williams Arena would need to add good Wifi too :)

scools12 said:
it is just not fair. there has to be at least another dozen or so excuses why Minnesota's program is headed in the opposite direction.

Because the Gophers don't have IPads - we would not lose another game in the Barn if the players had IPads. Ralph could play Angry Birds!

GW's smiley face indicated sarcasm, that is the way I took it.

I would think :rolleyes: would be used for sarcasm.

BTW I don't agree with Ruesse's comments about a practice facility.:)

Parski1 said:
Because the Gophers don't have IPads - we would not lose another game in the Barn if the players had IPads. Ralph could play Angry Birds!

That's not the argument AT ALL. The argument is, 18 year olds (hell, I'm 23 and I'd follow this) are impressed by bells and whistles. And if I was touring a school and I have a $500 iPad mounted to my locker? That's pretty impressive. If I have a court I can practice on 24/7, a state of the art film room, etc I am pretty impressed and will be a lot more interested in that school. When guys like Blake and oto have to go to their high school or the Rec to practice, that doesn't look good when Wisconsin can tell kids you always have a place to practice here and relax. We make sure our players have the best. it's all about recruiting, and to some extent the practice facility does help with player improvement too.

Would you take a job, all other things equal, at a company who's office is rented space in a strip mall or one that is a sky scraper downtown, with plush offices, a fitness center and full restaurant? None of those things really help you work better, but that company with the perks will get to hand pick the best employees (see: apple)

Same goes for recruiting, call it stupid all you want, but the bells and whistles are impressive and bring the best recruits in and gives the best chance to win.

That's not the argument AT ALL. The argument is, 18 year olds (hell, I'm 23 and I'd follow this) are impressed by bells and whistles. And if I was touring a school and I have a $500 iPad mounted to my locker? That's pretty impressive. If I have a court I can practice on 24/7, a state of the art film room, etc I am pretty impressed and will be a lot more interested in that school. When guys like Blake and oto have to go to their high school or the Rec to practice, that doesn't look good when Wisconsin can tell kids you always have a place to practice here and relax. We make sure our players have the best. it's all about recruiting, and to some extent the practice facility does help with player improvement too.

Would you take a job, all other things equal, at a company who's office is rented space in a strip mall or one that is a sky scraper downtown, with plush offices, a fitness center and full restaurant? None of those things really help you work better, but that company with the perks will get to hand pick the best employees (see: apple)

Same goes for recruiting, call it stupid all you want, but the bells and whistles are impressive and bring the best recruits in and gives the best chance to win.

Bingo. Well put.

Ralph would turn Angry Birds into pacifists.

Top Bottom