Not B1G-level player

Block M

Reaction score
How many times did we hear that comment on this board about Justin Cobbs? BTW, he is averaging 12.4 PPG on 50% shooting, including an amazing 65% from behind the arc. And 85% FTs. I'd say he was B1G caliber.

The Pac-12 is no B1G. They play zero defense in that conference. If Minnesota were in the Pac-10, Tubby would've had a couple of conference titles by now.

Will be interesting to see how Cobbs does going forward though level of competition will always have to be factored in. I don't think I expressed it on the board, but I did privately question Cobbs future in an email to a friend when Cobbs tranfer rumors first started. Now, at that time our roster looked loaded and we had a shot at the Cory Joseph with our open scholarship. How things have changed! Essentially every player who has left early has been replaced by a player of lesser talent and now Cobbs looks very viable in comparison.

To be fair to Tubby, several (mostly former) Gophers have commented on twitter about Cobbs being a west coast guy and being a much better fit in the Pac 10. From everything I know it seems like Minnesota was just a bad fit for Cobbs due to conference style of play, distance from home, and other factors that Tubby really couldn't prevent.

There's no way of knowing that, if Cobbs was still here, he would be putting up those numbers. Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for a player. You see it all the time.

Either way, he's not here anymore so there's little point in thinking about it because it just makes you more frustrated than we already are.

Whenever someone transfers they are not any good. We all know that. Cobbs would do wonders for this team. A true pg???? Like we have one of those.

How many times did we hear that comment on this board about Justin Cobbs? BTW, he is averaging 12.4 PPG on 50% shooting, including an amazing 65% from behind the arc. And 85% FTs. I'd say he was B1G caliber.

It ain't brain surgery, most players aren't very good as Freshman. Slowly they mature into solid players as upperclassmen. People need patience with young players.

It ain't brain surgery, most players aren't very good as Freshman. Slowly they mature into solid players as upperclassmen. People need patience with young players.

Like Trey Burke or Aaron White for example. I can't imagine a freshman guard (emphasis on guard because his system is tough on guards) ever having enough confidence under Tubby- as a frosh- to do what Burke did today. Not in this system. It's year 5 and I cannot think of one frosh that ever has come in and made a huge impact for Tubby. He was forced to start Nolen as a frosh some- he had nobody else- and Nolen was okay.

The college game you correctly refer to is the game of years ago. Now as soon as a player gets any good at all - they want to go NBA so you have to get some guys that contribute heavily early - otherwise you will always have a fairly mediocre program.

Like Trey Burke or Aaron White for example. I can't imagine a freshman guard (emphasis on guard because his system is tough on guards) ever having enough confidence under Tubby- as a frosh- to do what Burke did today. Not in this system. It's year 5 and I cannot think of one frosh that ever has come in and made a huge impact for Tubby. He was forced to start Nolen as a frosh some- he had nobody else- and Nolen was okay.

The college game you correctly refer to is the game of years ago. Now as soon as a player gets any good at all - they want to go NBA so you have to get some guys that contribute heavily early - otherwise you will always have a fairly mediocre program.
Very few teams have players of the level of Burke as freshman. Appling at MSU was a McDonalds All-American but did not play at the same level last year.

I thought Cobbs looked promising as a freshman, and I was pretty disappointed when he transferred. Why are people in denial that he's taken a big step forward in his second year? It happens all the time. Open up your eyes - Maverick couldn't get a start last year on a team with no other point guards, and this year he's in the starting lineup over other talented players. (Or are there folks who still want to see Mav driven out in the country and left there?)

That's not necessarily true. Maybe at a place like Kentucky or Ohio State, but other than them, there's not a lot of successful programs who just churn out one and dones at a high rate without having a strong group of guys who actually go through 3 or 4 years in the program. I would like to see a couple more immediate impact type guys here, but it's tough to compete with the high level programs of the world who have the high quality coaching, along with, as discussed in the other thread, facilities to go with that coaching.

A program like ours, we are going to have to normally go the route of developing players through time and keeping them in the program for 3 or 4 years. This is where things have broken under Tubby. We're not keeping guys for 3 or 4 years, and so we never see a player play at his peak level. A guy like Cobbs, who would now be a junior here and would have been our 3rd longest tenured guy, would be of help and probably much improved if he stuck around. A senior Colt 45 would be beneficial probably more than having to play the freshman Eliason more minutes. Just having some program continuity with our players would go a long way toward us seeing some NCAA tourney wins. I'm hoping we can have that with this core going forward.

Top Bottom