Ahanmisi - Illlinois game

TABinMO

Reaction score
I thought he played well; he had some very nice assists.

From a net points contributed standpoint, by far the worst performer of the game for Minnesota.

Individual offensive rating of about 60.

From a net points contributed standpoint, by far the worst performer of the game for Minnesota.

However, he did well keeping the offense moving. He didn't play nearly as bad as most on this board think he is.

However, he did well keeping the offense moving. He didn't play nearly as bad as most on this board think he is.

Again, looking at it objectively, this was by far Minnesota's least offensively efficient performance of the year. Not even close. And Ahanmisi was the second least individually offensively efficient in the game.

Again, looking at it objectively, this was by far Minnesota's least offensively efficient performance of the year. Not even close. And Ahanmisi was the second least individually offensively efficient in the game.

How many posters are capable of that.

Sorry, but unlike you I don't use numbers to analyze basketball. I never have, I just go off of what I see and can break down on video. Mav did a serviceable job as point guard, he did what he was supposed to do.

Sorry, but unlike you I don't use numbers to analyze basketball. I never have, I just go off of what I see and can break down on video. Mav did a serviceable job as point guard, he did what he was supposed to do.

Maybe so but you need more than serviceable players to win.

BTW how did finals go.

There is no excuse......

For Mav playing all 10 minutes of overtime. None. We needed energy down the stretch, and Dre, Chip, and Coleman sat.....while this guy got the ball with 6 seconds to go.

Inexplicable.

For Mav playing all 10 minutes of overtime. None. We needed energy down the stretch, and Dre, Chip, and Coleman sat.....while this guy got the ball with 6 seconds to go.

Inexplicable.

Coleman did play in overtime. Chip looked horrible in the first half. I wouldn't have minded Dre getting a few minutes but he is still a turnover machine.

I'm not sure he could've been worse than Chip. I've never seen so many lasers in such a short amount of time.

This feels like a debate about how bad Nick Punto sucks. Safe to say both sides are probably exaggerating.

I'm not sure he could've been worse than Chip. I've never seen so many lasers in such a short amount of time.

See above...

"From a net points contributed standpoint, by far the worst performer of the game for Minnesota."

Net points contributed he was worse than Chip, driven by time played, however...

"And Ahanmisi was the second least individually offensively efficient in the game."

...individual offensive efficiency, yes, Chip was worse.

Maybe so but you need more than serviceable players to win.

BTW how did finals go.
Until Dre becomes less of a turnover machine, I think serviceable is the best we'll get.

They weren't TERRIBLE, but I should have done better.

I'm glad we are commending a "serviceable" performance. And by the way, the last person to look at things "objectively" on this board hasn't posted in a loooong time. You can get in trouble for being objective on here.

This feels like a debate about how bad Nick Punto sucks. Safe to say both sides are probably exaggerating.

Ha, that's so true. Mav is totally our Punto. We need to have him play everyday because we don't have anyone else serviceable, and he's good enough to be serviceable, not terrible, not great, he's just kind of "there" filling a hole and being in the background.

Hard to believe a guy who has the ball in his hands as much as a PG can seem to be in the background, but Mav definitely does that. He doesn't kill us, but he doesn't win us any games. Very Punto like.

Mav gets the most out of his abilities. The sad part is why do we settle for a servicable point guard? The point guard who should be running the show is at Cal
( Justin Cobb) and lighting it up.

ruppertflywheel said:
Mav gets the most out of his abilities. The sad part is why do we settle for a servicable point guard? The point guard who should be running the show is at Cal

Except Cobbs is not playing PG at Cal. I do think he'd be an asset to this team though.

Lighting it up huh?

Remember that TERRIBLE USC team that the Gophers beat? Without Trevor Mbakwe?

Justin Cobbs line last night against that USC team was 34 minutes. 9 points. 4 Rebounds. 3 Assists. 5 Turnovers.

Sure is lighting it up ... Julian Welch put up far better numbers in that game than Cobbs did.

Ha, that's so true. Mav is totally our Punto. We need to have him play everyday because we don't have anyone else serviceable, and he's good enough to be serviceable, not terrible, not great, he's just kind of "there" filling a hole and being in the background.

Hard to believe a guy who has the ball in his hands as much as a PG can seem to be in the background, but Mav definitely does that. He doesn't kill us, but he doesn't win us any games. Very Punto like.

But Punto just lead his team to the World Series!!! Now it's Mav's turn to lead us to the World Series!

But Punto just lead his team to the World Series!!! Now it's Mav's turn to lead us to the World Series!

Mav is a wonderful kid and should be appreciated for how well he maximizes himself and competes. See Connell Lewis. However, he seems to me the perfect example of how Tubby is a control freak that plays not to lose (as opposed to playing to win). If you want a team that at the end of the year has gotten significantly better and has more upside, then I think you have to throw Dre Hollins out there and let him learn now, take some bumps and bruises, but know that he's the guy at the point. If you want a team that hangs in there in games now and is still just hanging in there in games at year end- then Mav is your guy.

Connell Lewis? Do you remember when Clem said he may be the worst player he ever recruited? I did like him though. Not a bad example, but Mav is quite a bit better. I look at Mav as someone who is only keeping the PG spot warm until Dre is ready. If he starts all year, then things didn't go as we hoped. Mav can have a good career here as insurance, not unlike Punto.

Connell Lewis? Do you remember when Clem said he may be the worst player he ever recruited? I did like him though. Not a bad example, but Mav is quite a bit better. I look at Mav as someone who is only keeping the PG spot warm until Dre is ready. If he starts all year, then things didn't go as we hoped. Mav can have a good career here as insurance, not unlike Punto.

Mav is better than Lewis was.

Lewis was the ultimate good citizen- low ceiling player. I don't remember Clem saying that. However, I do recall that Clem would claim he had signed very good recruits, then say they were too skinny, then when they became juniors he would say they arrived with no skills whatsoever and that he had honed them. He was great at the spin game.

Mav is better than Lewis was.

Lewis was the ultimate good citizen- low ceiling player. I don't remember Clem saying that. However, I do recall that Clem would claim he had signed very good recruits, then say they were too skinny, then when they became juniors he would say they arrived with no skills whatsoever and that he had honed them. He was great at the spin game.

Sounds kind of like what Tubby does.

"Best Freshman Class Ever"

"I can't trust them, none are good enough!"

"Senior leaders!"

Lighting it up huh?

Remember that TERRIBLE USC team that the Gophers beat? Without Trevor Mbakwe?

Justin Cobbs line last night against that USC team was 34 minutes. 9 points. 4 Rebounds. 3 Assists. 5 Turnovers.

Sure is lighting it up ... Julian Welch put up far better numbers in that game than Cobbs did.

I would suggest you check Cobb's previous two games. Also, not comparing Cobb to
JW. Comparing him to Mav. I would take Cobb in a heartbeat over Mav.

I would suggest you check Cobb's previous two games. Also, not comparing Cobb to
JW. Comparing him to Mav. I would take Cobb in a heartbeat over Mav.

I won't argue that, right now (and especially last year) I'd take Cobbs over Mav. However, I think the difference is not as big as some make it out to be. Now, I don't have any stats like GW uses but from just looking at their basic stat line so far this season against BCS/ranked opponents Cobbs is definitley a better scorer and defender (all those steals he gets would be nice to have), but as far as assists and turnovers (Big things for a PG) they are pretty similar, and neither is all that earth shattering.

(Meaningless connection between the two players, Cobbs was recruited to Cal out of HS by Gregg Gotlieb while Mav played for and was recomended to Tubby by his father, Bob Gottlieb.)

Points Per 40 Minutes
Cobbs: 15.68
Mav: 6.32

FG%
Cobbs: 44%
Mav: 38%

3PT%
Cobbs: 50%
Mav: 00%

FT%
Cobbs: 88%
Mav: None