Ralph is like Blaine Gabbert

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
Wondering if the coaching staff has forced Ralph to watch replays of Paul stripping him and going in for the dunk, early in the 2nd OT.

If I were Tubby or a member of the staff, I'd force Ralph to watch that video 50 times until it sinks in. We've all seen similar lackadaisical plays from Ralph...How many more will we have to endure???

Also hope they'll show the replay of his missed lay-up attempt in the 1st half when he collected a rebound right under the rim. It almost appears that he would rather release it quickly off the backboard than risk being hacked while going up to dunk it.

Summing up those 2 plays and I draw this Gabbert Analogy...Gabbert hates contact and has no pocket presence, often getting sacked from behind when he thinks he has more time.

Is there a fix? Sadly, I don't think so...either you have toughness and presence or you don't.

How many more?

Count the days Moses - then he will be gone and you will pick on someone else.

Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, would people lay off this kid. He is not Trevor or a banger. Nobody said he ever was.. the guy is putting up good numbers for us and is one of our better scorers on a team that needs scoring. He completely had a brain fart on that turnover.. oh well. Why is there not a thread about all of his great passes.. as I watched the game with my wife, she commented on how he can really pass well. Yep, and shoot well and block shots. He is not perfect, obviously, as he is not a 10 rebound a game guy, but how many of those are there? Anyway, without him we would be sunk right now.. it is what it is.. There, I said my peace, folks can keep on seeking a whipping boy.. but man, thats pretty ignorant to keep focusing on Sampson if you ask me...

Moses87, the king of awesome threads. Keep up the good work.

Wondering if the coaching staff has forced Ralph to watch replays of Paul stripping him and going in for the dunk, early in the 2nd OT.

If I were Tubby or a member of the staff, I'd force Ralph to watch that video 50 times until it sinks in. We've all seen similar lackadaisical plays from Ralph...How many more will we have to endure???

Also hope they'll show the replay of his missed lay-up attempt in the 1st half when he collected a rebound right under the rim. It almost appears that he would rather release it quickly off the backboard than risk being hacked while going up to dunk it.

Summing up those 2 plays and I draw this Gabbert Analogy...Gabbert hates contact and has no pocket presence, often getting sacked from behind when he thinks he has more time.

Is there a fix? Sadly, I don't think so...either you have toughness and presence or you don't.

I know you're not a Gopher fan, but could you please take your act to another more deserving fanbase? Beating this dead horse has to get old, even for someone who apparently gets a rise out of it. There's a perennially overrated team to our east and one that never wins at all to our south. Give them a shot.

Guy goes for 22 and 9 (plus 3 assists and 2 blocks) and this message board is littered with posts about his inability to lock down Paul on the perimeter (after a terrible/lazy switch by Welch, btw) and how he lost a foot race with a guard after a loose ball. What the f*ck people?!?!

I acknowledge that Ralph actually stepped up and made huge contributions, but often its the little things that cost you games. Ralph has a long history of those type of plays...being stripped of the ball by a defender who wants it more. As a fan, maybe I am asking too much for him to clean up the little flaws in his game, but I would like to think its not acceptable for Tubby and members of the staff.

Guy goes for 22 and 9 (plus 3 assists and 2 blocks) and this message board is littered with posts about his inability to lock down Paul on the perimeter (after a terrible/lazy switch by Welch, btw) and how he lost a foot race with a guard after a loose ball. What the f*ck people?!?!

Also, I didn't DVR the game and couldn't go back to watch the OT play, but Ryan James indicated that Ralph thought that one of the guards was curling behind and then had to try to pull it back when he lost it.

+1000 on the opinion that we would be completely sunk without Ralph

Also, I didn't DVR the game and couldn't go back to watch the OT play, but Ryan James indicated that Ralph thought that one of the guards was curling behind and then had to try to pull it back when he lost it.

+1000 on the opinion that we would be completely sunk without Ralph

Go to ESPN.com and find the recap of the game...They have video highlights. Ralph was holding the ball like a priceless, delicate vase in a museum. Paul came in from behind and swiped it easily because Ralph didn't value the ball enough.

Those who want me to go away are basically saying its "okay" to be mediocre and miss the post-season.

Why is it so wrong to expect certain deficiencies get corrected?

Why is it so wrong to point out flaws and mistakes and ask tough questions of Tubby and his staff when they can't get the mistakes corrected???

speaking of Gopher hoops and rookie NFL QBs

Anyone else think that Andre Hollins looks similar to Cam Newton?

Those who want me to go away are basically saying its "okay" to be mediocre and miss the post-season.

Why is it so wrong to expect certain deficiencies get corrected?

Why is it so wrong to point out flaws and mistakes and ask tough questions of Tubby and his staff when they can't get the mistakes corrected???

Then get your ass out there and do something about it instead of complaining about it anonymously on a message board.

What play are we even talking about? Ralph never got stripped from behind by Paul. Did you actually watch the play? Meyers Leonard stuck his hand in the cookie jar and got away with it (not saying it was a foul, I mean reaching in can be dangerous to do) and poked the ball away from Sampson, and then Paul made a great play to go get it. Nowhere was Ralph stripped from behind by Paul, he was just flat out beat to the ball cause Paul is probably 10 times faster than him.

Now, Ralph should have had a better grip on that ball to keep Leonard from getting at it, but it wasn't that egregious of a play to warrant all this hype over it. Ralph did his part to help this team win, and that 2nd OT never happens if certain other thing prior to that happen. All this piling on RSIII is just getting ridiculous at this point.

I know you're not a Gopher fan, but could you please take your act to another more deserving fanbase? Beating this dead horse has to get old, even for someone who apparently gets a rise out of it. There's a perennially overrated team to our east and one that never wins at all to our south. Give them a shot.

For the record, I was a Gophers fan before most on this board could spell it...I Started cheering for the Gophers back in the Thompson, Lockhart years and have seen some great players and performances...None better than the Gophers beating the Hawkeyes in Triple OT back in 82. Darryl Mitchell was the epitome of GRIT and CLUTCH. That 82 team was my favorite Gopher team because they played up to their potential...I am starving for a Gophers team to reach their potential and my criticism and asking tough questions is all aimed at asking tough questions to draw attention to mistakes and flaws that I don't see being fixed. Call it tough love, but I'm not gonna lavish praise on Ralph just because he scored 22 points.

Let me get this straight...trolling a message board to endlessly b!tch about Tubby/the program and continually pointing out every minor fault in RS3's game is going to get the Gophers in the tournament? How much whining will it take to get them in the Final 4? What about a title?

Get to work, Moses, your inane ramblings and complaining can save the program!!!11!1

Moses87
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

This message is hidden because Moses87 is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

I don't know what you guys are being so hard on him for. :cool:

About 5 years ago, my brother was at an AAU tournament in Orlando watching his son play for a Minnesota-based team. He told me he saw Ralph Sampson's kid playing for a team. I asked him if RS3 was any good - and my brother said, "he's soft, he doesn't play hard, and he wants to sit outside and shoot jumpers instead of getting in the lane and playing like a big man."

5 years later, nothing has changed. RS3 isn't terrible - but he's not a great player, and he really hasn't improved in 4 years at the U. His lapses in concentration drive me nuts. It looks like the guy just doesn't care. If his last name was Smith or Jones, I don't think he's be playing at a major D1 school.

Like Moses87, I have been a long-time gopher fan - saw them play Indiana in a packed Barn in 1976 - but that doesn't mean I put on blinders, or adopt a "blind loyalty" policy. I honestly feel the Gophs are better off with Eliason in the paint, because he wants to play like a center - not like a 6'11" small forward. I have no problem with playing them both at the same time, and if Mo Walker comes back, let him play center and let RS3 roam the perimeter hoisting up jumpers. Finesse guys are a dime a dozen - real big men are hard to find - and that's why some of us find RS3 so frustrating.

short ornery norwegian nailed it. Ralph likes to roam the perimeter hoisting up jumpers and you know what?...he's pretty good at it and he creates a lot of mismatches for us. Ralph is exactly who we signed - a finesse big man that has a nice touch, blocks some shots and passes the ball well for a big man. What's wrong with that? It's not his fault that is his style of play. I don't think there is a BT coach that wouldn't want Ralph on their team. Ralph has likely been told his entire basketball life that they want him to be something he's not. Growing up the comparisons to his father were endless, at the U fans have harped that they want a John Thomas type of C, well that's not Ralph's style and it won't be.

Yes, he frustrates me, but so does my 3 year old son when he skips a verse in the Rouser in an attempt to get to the "M-I-N-N...." part so quickly.

Ralph doesn't have the emotional leadership of Paul Carter, the aggressiveness and tenacity of Trevor, the elbows of Colt, the mass of Walker, the vertical of Rodney or the defensive footwork of EE, but he has skills they all don't have and a guy like Ralph hopefully has a spot on a Gopher roster for years. You may not win a BT title because of Ralph, but you certainly can win a BT title with the help of Ralph.

Go Gophers!!

Finesse guys are a dime a dozen - real big men are hard to find - and that's why some of us find RS3 so frustrating.

6'11" guys who can step out to 15ft comfortably are hard to find as well. 6'11" guys who can pass the ball well are also hard to find. Look, he's not a prototype, and about 2 years in, I accepted this and moved on to just enjoying the things he does well. He's a guy who will get you some blocks defensively, he will hit some shots, give you a relatively consistent 10, 12 a game when healthy, and he can stretch the defense to give other guys opportunities to get to a clearer basket for some of those cuts we've seen them do. He's not everything we maybe thought we were getting when he signed on, but he's been rather productive in his time here, moreso than most will give him credit for.

About 5 years ago, my brother was at an AAU tournament in Orlando watching his son play for a Minnesota-based team. He told me he saw Ralph Sampson's kid playing for a team. I asked him if RS3 was any good - and my brother said, "he's soft, he doesn't play hard, and he wants to sit outside and shoot jumpers instead of getting in the lane and playing like a big man."

5 years later, nothing has changed. RS3 isn't terrible - but he's not a great player, and he really hasn't improved in 4 years at the U. His lapses in concentration drive me nuts. It looks like the guy just doesn't care. If his last name was Smith or Jones, I don't think he's be playing at a major D1 school.

Like Moses87, I have been a long-time gopher fan - saw them play Indiana in a packed Barn in 1976 - but that doesn't mean I put on blinders, or adopt a "blind loyalty" policy. I honestly feel the Gophs are better off with Eliason in the paint, because he wants to play like a center - not like a 6'11" small forward. I have no problem with playing them both at the same time, and if Mo Walker comes back, let him play center and let RS3 roam the perimeter hoisting up jumpers. Finesse guys are a dime a dozen - real big men are hard to find - and that's why some of us find RS3 so frustrating.

If you knew this five years ago, what's the problem? This is who Ralph is. We would all like to have a 7-footer who bangs and fights. Coincidentally, we have that in Elliot. They're two different players. Don't expect Ralph to get too dirty, and don't expect EE to hit a 15-foot jumper with a 6-10 center guarding him at the free throw line.

And to say that Ralph hasn't improved is utterly ridiculous. He's an outstanding shooter for his size, which you might be overlooking because you don't want Ralph to do that. His hook shot isn't quite Kareem-esque yet, but it's vastly improved. Doesn't go to the basket as much as any of us would like, but is doing so more effectively this year. Very good passer, and fourth all-time in blocked shots at the U.

Blake Hoffarber didn't attack the basket, but we liked what he gave us on the perimeter. If you accept Ralph for what he is, you'll stay much more calm during games ... and perhaps begin to appreciate EE more, too.

If you knew this five years ago, what's the problem? This is who Ralph is. We would all like to have a 7-footer who bangs and fights. Coincidentally, we have that in Elliot. They're two different players. Don't expect Ralph to get too dirty, and don't expect EE to hit a 15-foot jumper with a 6-10 center guarding him at the free throw line.

And to say that Ralph hasn't improved is utterly ridiculous. He's an outstanding shooter for his size, which you might be overlooking because you don't want Ralph to do that. His hook shot isn't quite Kareem-esque yet, but it's vastly improved. Doesn't go to the basket as much as any of us would like, but is doing so more effectively this year. Very good passer, and fourth all-time in blocked shots at the U.

Blake Hoffarber didn't attack the basket, but we liked what he gave us on the perimeter. If you accept Ralph for what he is, you'll stay much more calm during games ... and perhaps begin to appreciate EE more, too.
Well according to some people here, EE isn't a B1G-caliber basketball player.

It's not easy to talk up EE after watching him go 1 of 3 on LAYUPS!
What about watching him play well on D against Meyers Leonard? Why does every player have to be a good offensive player? BTW - The entire team was missing layups in the first half.

EE doesn't look ready for this stage yet. His defense was okay, but he was easily out-leaped for rebounds and he looked very jittery on the offensive end. Even his 1 layup make was shaky. I'm not ruling him out for a possible Jeff Hagan like career, but so far, he doesn't look ready.

Already started your anti-Elliason campaign I see. Is Coleman done too? Obviously Hollins is terrible and could MAYBE reach the level of Kerwin Fleming.

With a collection of players this poor and an absolutely terrible coach, a point you've been belaboring non-stop for the last 4+ years, maybe it's time for you to find something better to do with your time. "Fans" like you (claim to be) are what make our fanbase pitiful when compared to the rest of the conference, and are one major reason why this athletic department struggles.

In summary -

ari_gold.gif

Already started your anti-Elliason campaign I see. Is Coleman done too? Obviously Hollins is terrible and could MAYBE reach the level of Kerwin Fleming.

With a collection of players this poor and an absolutely terrible coach, a point you've been belaboring non-stop for the last 4+ years, maybe it's time for you to find something better to do with your time. "Fans" like you (claim to be) are what make our fanbase pitiful when compared to the rest of the conference, and are one major reason why this athletic department struggles.

In summary -

ari_gold.gif

The world would be a boring place if everybody agreed with the likes of you, sir!

That's why it's called a "fan forum" - a place for fans to opine and discuss. It's not a "attaboy" "waytogo" board is it?

That's why it's called a "fan forum" - a place for fans to opine and discuss. It's not a "attaboy" "waytogo" board is it?

You're right, it's a board for trolls like you to endlessly rip the players/coach/entire athletic department while claiming to be a fan. It's also a board where you continually amaze all of us with your high basketball I.Q.

Tell us again about Penn State and their better-than-Tubby head coach, their NCAA tournament win from last season, all of the returning talent they have this year, and why they will finish higher in the standings than the U. You have so much credibility around here...

Yes this is a place to discuss the Gophers, but when you NEVER say anything positive and after good games avoid the forum completely, you are a troll.

Top Bottom