Question for SS

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
As the resident expert, do you think the the selection committee would treat a double OT road loss any different than a regular road loss?

As the resident expert, do you think the the selection committee would treat a double OT road loss any different than a regular road loss?

What is this? The NHL with OTL's? :cool:

Is the committee obligated to then look at close wins at home over terrible teams like NDSU?

Certainly losing in double OT to a good team is better than getting drilled, but I tend to look at losses as losses and wins as wins (profound statement, I know). I would think the Selection Committee feels the same way.

Art, NDSU is not terrible. You know that and I know that. You don't have to deal in hyperbole all the time.

Mount St. Mary's is terrible. St. Peter's is terrible. NDSU is not terrible. There's a huge difference between a "terrible" D-I team and a competitive one. NDSU is much, much closer to the latter.

Certainly losing in double OT to a good team is better than getting drilled, but I tend to look at losses as losses and wins as wins. I would think the Selection Committee feels the same way.

Art, NDSU is not terrible. You know that and I know that. You don't have to deal in hyperbole all the time.

Mount St. Mary's is terrible. St. Peter's is terrible. NDSU is not terrible. There's a huge difference between a "terrible" D-I team and a competitive one. NDSU is much, much closer to the latter.

I agree - W is a W and a L is a L. Art, give it a rest.

Winning is all that matters now. Every L from here on out is bad.

Certainly losing in double OT to a good team is better than getting drilled, but I tend to look at losses as losses and wins as wins (profound statement, I know). I would think the Selection Committee feels the same way.

NDSU snoosed Oakland last night 96-69, and in the words of Oakland Coach..."They came and kicked the living crap out of us."

Just a shot in the dark here, but my guess is if the Gopher's are close to getting in it will boil down to the final RPI ratings of the teams we beat I believe the term the Selection Committee uses is "Quality win" Right now I don't think Virginia Tech or Southern Cal would be considered quality wins.

We currently don't have any top-50 wins after Indiana State's loss @ Drake last night. Lots of top-100's (6), which is good, but no top-50's, which would be better.

The good news is, if the Gophers get to 9 wins in league play, which I think will be enough to get us in, then they will have likely stacked up a couple more Top 100 wins and likely a Top 50 win or two. If they get to 9 wins, I don't think there will be a lot to worry about come Selection Sunday in March. Now, getting to 9 wins??? Fingers crossed, but not counting on it, but not ruling it out, either :)

Players playing for Div I or II or any other division does not necessarily make them lessor athletes...more than likely grades or other issues played in that kept them from being in the upper echelon conferences. That is one of the reasons why playing supposedly lessor conferences can be dangerous.

The good news is, if the Gophers get to 9 wins in league play, which I think will be enough to get us in, then they will have likely stacked up a couple more Top 100 wins and likely a Top 50 win or two. If they get to 9 wins, I don't think there will be a lot to worry about come Selection Sunday in March. Now, getting to 9 wins??? Fingers crossed, but not counting on it, but not ruling it out, either :)

Agreed TJ. The more this season shakes down, the more it's becoming apparent that 9-9 likely would be enough for the Gophers, provided the best of their nonconference opponents continue to have solid seasons. But as you said, getting to 9-9. .......

Top Bottom