On to Michigan

From the Barn

Reaction score
Another winnable road game, though the Gophers won't be favored.

It will be a challenge to keep the Wolverines guards from getting to the basket and rotating over to cover 3pt shooters, though the Gophers were better against Illinois.

Michigan doesn't force turnovers, rebound offensively, or get to the line, so the Gophers need to get extra shot attempts to make up for what will be worse shooting.

Ultimately though, the coaching staff needs to get the guys ready and have them focus on all the good they did against Illinois and not let them get bogged down on the "what should have beens."

Tough loss after mamimum effort. The Michigan game will have the effects of a "hangover". I expect the Gophers to play hard, but the mental part won't be there after a 2 overtime loss. Miche a 15-20 win, although in a normal situation I think it would be a single digit win for Michigan. Throw in the fact the history of our record in Ann Arbor is not good. Gophs return home 0-2

I hope they don't let this loss linger, these are the types of ones that can lead to dead performances the following game cause you're stuck on the missed opportunities. I really do think they can win the game, but I think they got to kill the point giving mistakes they had at Illinois, leading to those easy buckets. It's hard enough to win on the road without giving them 8, 10 points just walking in for layups.

pssst, we beat michigan at michigan last year.

Young teams can be weird. I'd say they are just as likely to bounce back and be in it until the final possession. It'll either be super close or a blow out. I just don't see a loss in the 10 pt range.

pssst, we beat michigan at michigan last year.

Young teams can be weird. I'd say they are just as likely to bounce back and be in it until the final possession. It'll either be super close or a blow out. I just don't see a loss in the 10 pt range.

I know we beat Michigan last year. I'm talking historically Ann Arbor hasn't been lind to us.

I hate to say it, but I think we lose in a laugher. Illinois was actually set up well for us. They turned the ball over, weren't lights out from 3, and let us run a bit. I think Michigan's D will confuse us, and I think their three point shooters are going to be hitting constantly. I was hopeful that we could beat Illinois, and we would have if not for a wee bit of chokage. I think we'll be lucky to keep this one close. They're a tough matchup, and big ten road games are never easy in the best of times. Prove me wrong, Gophs!

IMO, Michigan is incredibly overrated this year. This is a good game for MN to steal and come back home at 1-1.

Teams aside, Crisler is not Assembly Hall. @ Illiniois it feels like you are down 7 when the ball tips. I like our chances better.

If Michigan is cold from 3 pt. range, we can take this one. I felt that the Illinois game was the more likely of these two games for us to steal.

I felt worse about last night's loss when I woke up this morning.

Tough loss after mamimum effort. The Michigan game will have the effects of a "hangover". I expect the Gophers to play hard, but the mental part won't be there after a 2 overtime loss. Miche a 15-20 win, although in a normal situation I think it would be a single digit win for Michigan. Throw in the fact the history of our record in Ann Arbor is not good. Gophs return home 0-2

You could be right, but I also felt the game at Illinois could have been pretty bad considering we are very young and it was our first road game of the year.

Michigan is a young team as well. While on the star ratings they may have more talent, it's just as untested as the less heralded guys like Hollins, Hollins, Welch and Coleman. I think one key here is going to be each teams bench. If Minnesota can get a couple of Michigan players in foul trouble, it could get real interesting since Michigan hasn't been playing as many guys, only 7 that log major minutes Whereas you have 10. Also you'll have plenty of fresh legs to throw at the Michigan shooters.

I expect a lot of turnovers on both sides. 1-3-1 will be tough for the young gophers and the relentless pressure will be tough for the young wolverines. Expect a physically hard fought game.

Michigan is a young team as well. While on the star ratings they may have more talent, it's just as untested as the less heralded guys like Hollins, Hollins, Welch and Coleman. I think one key here is going to be each teams bench. If Minnesota can get a couple of Michigan players in foul trouble, it could get real interesting since Michigan hasn't been playing as many guys, only 7 that log major minutes Whereas you have 10. Also you'll have plenty of fresh legs to throw at the Michigan shooters.

I expect a lot of turnovers on both sides. 1-3-1 will be tough for the young gophers and the relentless pressure will be tough for the young wolverines. Expect a physically hard fought game.

The Gophers looked exhausted last night (even while rotating 10). They had no legs left in the second OT....

The Gophers looked exhausted last night (even while rotating 10). They had no legs left in the second OT....
How many teams actually would have legs left in the second OT? Illinois looked like they had no legs left in the first OT.

Stop them from deep and Minnesota has a chance to win. This will either be a Michigan blowout or a very, very close game -- not likely anything in the middle.

Wolverines from 3

Here's a telling stat Gopher fans. In 14 games, the Gophs have launched 183 3s. In 12 games, Michigan has attempted 286 3s. Michigan will feature a 3 sometimes virtually 4 guard offense with a forward. Needless to say, the Gophs have to stop Hardaway, Burke, Douglas, Smotrycz and Novak, et al. from 3. Michigan is streaky. Thus the Gopher tendency to have defense lapses must not appear, particularly in the 1st half. If we force the Wolverines into tough 3s, they can get frustrated. Give Ralph his due, notwithstanding his unfortunate miscue in the 2nd OT, he played with heart, poise and tenacity against Illinois. He could have a big game against the smaller Wolverines. How about 20 more from the big man to go with 15 and 22 in his last two games. Now if we can just see two halves from Rodney.

The Wolverines can be beaten.

With a fair amount of rest, tons to prove, an overrated Michigan team, Gophers prevail easily with a poor shooting night from the Wolverines.

Who will likely be guarding Hardaway in this game? Austin? I would like to get Rodney on Hardaway to try to shut him down, but Austin is a close second. I also hope we put Welch on Burke as opposed to Maverick. Looking at Michigan, they only give 6 players meaningful minutes, and against Penn State, a game that was pretty much decided by halftime, four of them played 35 minutes or more. So like notagopherfan said before, getting one or two of their players in foul trouble would be a big plus. This will also help us out at the end of the game when they're a bit more tired. As long as our second string can keep it close in the middle of the first half and they don't shoot lights out from deep, I like our chances.

Rodney or Austin on Hardaway

I'm with you Mattw. I like the idea of either of these guys in Hardaway's jock right from the tip off. I think both of them are capable of doing a great defensive job on a pretty impressive talent like Hardaway. The long wingspan of either of those guys might just keep him in check from a jump shooting standpoint. My only concern would be with his ability to put the ball on the floor and zip past them. He's going to demand a group effort to keep him in check on D.

Relatively speaking, we've done well at Ann Arbor under Tubby, 2-2, all against Beliein. That said, teams that fire up a lot of 3's, I worry about those opponents. Not sure those are good matchups for us this season, Michigan and Northwestern in particular.

Have visions of those teams burying us from the 3-point line. Gophers need to make them become drivers, don't help off shooters that would allow for easy kick-outs, make 'em make tough 2's instead of wide-open 3's. A lot easier said than done, I know.

I don't know why, but I fear this Michigan team. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think this game will end well. I was much more confident for Illinois but this game scares me big time.

This will be a tough game, but I like our chances. I give our front court the advantage inside against their smaller guys, and I think we will handle the 1-3-1 better than we have in the past due to our improving guard play. If Ralph and Rodney have solid games in the paint scoring and rebounding, and we defend the three, we have a chance for the upset on the road.

p.s. I'm with you mattw, though I like Austin on Hardaway more than Rodney. I think we need Rodney on Smotrycz.

Top Bottom