"I think it's the best shooting group I've had in a long time"

I don't know a single person that actually believed that when they read it.

I think we'll end up one of the worst shooting teams in the Big 10, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. We simply don't have a single player that can hit a jump shot consistently.

The offense is the biggest problem with this team. They get good shots but high school teams can make open shots better that this and how many 3 footers does Ralph miss in a game? Wow - Illinois is not that good - hoping for a better 2nd half but not expecting it...

After a 6-7 win season in the B10, Will Tubby be held accountable or will he get another pass (Trevor)? Until we get a HC in here that recruits shooters and scorers, we will never be back to the tourney.

Because we were playing little sisters of the poor university and getting layups and dunks. This team cannot make outside shots.

Don't we have the 3rd highest SOS so far in the Big 10???

This team could Play HORSE all day and no one would win if you didn't allow dunking. Tubby has not recruited a legitimate jump shooter in 5 yrs.

A look inside KenPom's numbers is somewhat revealing, although the player stats are only through the 23rd.

- The Gophers shoot 35% from 3. This is 139th in the country. Not amazing, but not awful.
- The Gophers are 46th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 70th on defense. That would indicate that what problems there are are more centered on the defensive side of the ball.
- KenPom has Four Factors that contribute to offensive efficiency. The Gophers ranks for them are 53rd, 219th, 36th, and 50th. Which one of those is not like the other? Clearly the factor that is ranked 219th is the problem. Those factors in order are effective 56%, turnover %, offensive rebound %, and FTA/FGA. So turnovers are the biggest hindrance to the offense.
- The Gophers are pretty unlucky in that they are 282nd in opponents FT%. Not much a team can do about that, other than foul only bad shooters, which isn't practical.

Welch, Andre Hollins, and Ahanmisi are pretty bad with the ball. All have turnover rates above 24%. Ahanmisi, Hollins, Welch are 67th, 73rd and 74th out of 76 ranked players in the Big 10. Think about that. That means the Gophers are starting 3 of the worst turnover machines in the entire Big Ten. 3 out of the starting 5.

As far as numbers go, that's pretty darn compelling.

A look inside KenPom's numbers is somewhat revealing, although the player stats are only through the 23rd.

- The Gophers shoot 35% from 3. This is 139th in the country. Not amazing, but not awful.
- The Gophers are 46th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 70th on defense. That would indicate that what problems there are are more centered on the defensive side of the ball.
- KenPom has Four Factors that contribute to offensive efficiency. The Gophers ranks for them are 53rd, 219th, 36th, and 50th. Which one of those is not like the other? Clearly the factor that is ranked 219th is the problem. Those factors in order are effective 56%, turnover %, offensive rebound %, and FTA/FGA. So turnovers are the biggest hindrance to the offense.
- The Gophers are pretty unlucky in that they are 282nd in opponents FT%. Not much a team can do about that, other than foul only bad shooters, which isn't practical.

Welch, Andre Hollins, and Ahanmisi are pretty bad with the ball. All have turnover rates above 24%. Ahanmisi, Hollins, Welch are 67th, 73rd and 74th out of 76 ranked players in the Big 10. Think about that. That means the Gophers are starting 3 of the worst turnover machines in the entire Big Ten. 3 out of the starting 5.

As far as numbers go, that's pretty darn compelling.
Andre Hollins doesn't start so 2 out of 5. I get your point though.

They didn't turn it over a boatload last night (14 isn't a horrible number), but the turnovers they did have, man, they sucked, led right into fast break easy buckets.

2/18 from 3 tonight.

11%.

I know Tubby is one for pre-season hyping up his team, but we really have to take those early praises with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom