Amelia Rayno blog: Tubby Smith: 'I'm not taking Maverick out of the lineup'

I really don't think it is of great importance if or not Mav starts at the 1. He can start and play less than 15 minutes if things are not going well since we do have other options. But, I think he has earned good minutes. He can be quite good for us as long as he doesn't turn the ball over and makes open shots efficiently.

Ralph doesn't need to be a take over guy. We just need some inside scoring and solid interior D from him to survive the conference season. And, I think Mav plays better with Ralph than Julian or Dre at this point. That alone should warrant Mav more minutes as our half-court offense must include Ralph to be effective and consistent against the B1G teams.

He's the only real point guard they have. He still try's to force things occasionally but generally does a decent job. Andre has no clue whatsover, Welsh can be decent. I would have been surprised if that was not the case.

I think Tubby was hoping Andre would develop into the position and maybe he will, not yet though. Ariel McDonald was talking about the PG role and scoring in the pre game against NDSU. I agree with what he said, I'm not sure Andre Hollins is ever going to be a PG.

As long as he plays in control, fine. If he starts tripping over himself while leading a break again, Tubby and I are going to need to have a talk.

Maverick has been a pleasant surprise. He's been a key contributor in several victories. Hopefully that continues in B1G play.

This morning on 1500 Spencer and his sidekick??? were both saying that Andre can't dribble and is not a pg.

Forget those rubes......

On. 1500, they are both a couple of hockey pucks. Mav has improved, especially his shot, but he is a long ways from being a true point. His handle, and decision making are still below average. He is taking charge more and making progress, but he makes me tremble when he's trying to penetrate in traffic.

Dre Hollins doesn't know how great he can be yet. He's had the ankle issue, and it looks like he's playing with low confidence right now, but getting he and Coleman more comfortable on the court is essential to this team's development in my view.

I think we need to really keep Andre's injury in mind. He certainly hasn't been flying around aggressively since getting hurt.

Austin hasn't looked the same since hurting his knee either. I know we never heard much about that injury but I would have to think that's been bothering him. His defense has been pretty poor as of late for him.

One thing that I haven't seen written about Mav is that he is seems to be much more vocal on the court than he was last year and seems to know how to run the team when he's on the floor...a key attribute of a point guard. He also seems to be pretty committed to the weightroom as his build looks much better this year... same with Austin and Rodney for that matter... they all look a whole lot stronger this year.... possibly partly because they they had such a long way to go.

My comment on that blog post KICKS ASS.

It's good to see that our sophomores appear to be reasonably taking steps forward. Maverick is playing well, I think Chip will win us at least one game this year on his own, and Austin is developing some new aspects to his game that weren't there as much last year.

Yet another player developing under Tubby. Interesting that some on the hole continue to avoid positive player development threads.

Yet another player developing under Tubby. Interesting that some on the hole continue to avoid positive player development threads.

Yeah, but the only reason these recruits are developing is because they start awful since Tubby can't recruit. UGGGGGGGH WHY CAN'T HE BE LIKE BO RYAN!?!?!?!?!?

Sweet picture choice in that article.

Ya, like Spencer would be a good point guard? Yikes, 19.

Confused. Did Spencer say that he (Spencer) would have been a better point guard at 6'9, 250 pounds? Not clear on the point.

I'm with you. It's a good thing that Maverick didn't regress, however, otherwise we would have been better off with Dr. Don running the point!! I'll start the list of Tubby recruits that have shown significant signs of development. Off the top of my head:

Maverick

um,

Maverick

um,

Well, I started the list; maybe you can complete it. Either way, here is hoping that we get off to a good start in the conference tonight.

Yeah, but the only reason these recruits are developing is because they start awful since Tubby can't recruit. UGGGGGGGH WHY CAN'T HE BE LIKE BO RYAN!?!?!?!?!?

Agree. Tubby doesn't get enough credit for winning the recruiting war for Maverick! Happy to see that he is improving as a result of all of his hard work, but c'mon.....

You start Mav, Austin Hollins and Welch. Come off the bench with Andre Hollins, Armelin, and Coleman. The starters have more experience and more basketball savy, the second team is more athletic with more scoring potential. On any given day one might be better than the other. They are mostly Freshman and Sophmore's, they are all going to continue to improve. I'm looking forward to the start of this season.

I'm with you. It's a good thing that Maverick didn't regress, however, otherwise we would have been better off with Dr. Don running the point!! I'll start the list of Tubby recruits that have shown significant signs of development. Off the top of my head:

Maverick

um,

Maverick

um,

Well, I started the list; maybe you can complete it. Either way, here is hoping that we get off to a good start in the conference tonight.

List adds:

Rodney - this year- since he is playing in the right position.
Chip is playing better all around ball.
Austin has shown some improvement.

List adds:

Rodney - this year- since he is playing in the right position.
Chip is playing better all around ball.
Austin has shown some improvement.

I'm a big Chip fan, and he is playing more under control (for the most part). Question is with Rodney, would the staff have found a way for him to succeed without the Mbakwe injury? Was hoping for more of an improvement from Austin, but the season is still young.

Top Bottom