Big Ten Predictions

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Now that the dress rehearsals are mostly over, an unbiased guess at the final B1G regular season standings.

1. Ohio State (15-3) -- NCAA
T-2. Michigan (12-6) -- NCAA
T-2. Michigan State (12-6) -- NCAA
4. Wisconsin (11-7) -- NCAA
T-5. Indiana (10-8) -- NCAA
T-5. Northwestern (10-8) -- NCAA
T-5. Purdue (10-8) -- NCAA
8. Illinois (9-9) -- Bubble, NCAA/NIT
9. Gophers (7-11) -- NIT
10. Nebraska (6-12)
11. Iowa (5-13)
12. Penn State (1-17)

SelectionSunday said:
Now that the dress rehearsals are mostly over, an unbiased guess at the final B1G regular season standings.

9. Gophers (7-11) -- NIT
10. Nebraska (6-12)
11. Iowa (5-13)
12. Penn State (1-17)

1. OSU
2. MSU
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin
5. Purdue
6. Minnesota
7. Michigan
8. Illinois
9. Northwestern
10. Nebraska
11. Iowa
12. Penn State

1. Ohio State (16-2)
2. Wisconsin (13-5)
3. Michigan State (12-6)
4. Michigan (11-7)
5. Minnesota (10-8)
5. Illinois (10-8)
7. Indiana (9-9)
8. Northwestern (8-10)
8. Purdue (8-10)
10. Nebraska (4-14)
10. Iowa (4-14)
12. Penn State (3-15)

I'm letting my homerism flag fly tonight!

GopherHoopsFan

1. OSU
2. Indiana
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan
5. Illinois
7. Michigan State (with unbalanced schedule returning, Spartans will be first "victim" of having the toughest slate)
7. Minnesota
7. Purdue
7. Northwestern
10-12 Nebraska/Iowa/PSU take your pick

1. Ohio State (16-2)
2. Wisconsin (14-4)
3. Michigan (12-6)
4. Illinois (12-6)
5. Indiana (11-7)
6. Michigan State (11-7)
7. Minnesota (9-9)
8. Purdue (9-9)
9. Northwestern (7-11)
10. Nebraska (5-13)
11. Penn State (5-13)
12. Iowa (2-16)

I don't make predictions like this, especially about the future.

On "Pick for Day" & Gopher game "Predict the Scores", I don't make predictions...those are called uneducated guesses.

Good for you, Dr. We get it. You don't like projections of future events.

If you're not a fan of predictions, then why'd you bother opening the thread? You really expect there to be no predictions on a site like this?

9. Gophers (7-11) -- NIT
10. Nebraska (6-12)
11. Iowa (5-13)
12. Penn State (1-17)

Does Wisky have a comparably easy sched? It would seem they may be lower than the predictions, imo.

Does Wisky have a comparably easy sched? It would seem they may be lower than the predictions, imo.

I went game by game when when doing the predictions, trying to account for a few upsets along the way. In the end, I guess I think the Badgers will be solid, but not quite as good as usual. 5-9 in the standings appears to be a real crapshoot. And as bad as Penn State is, I had a difficult time giving the Nitts only one win.

Good for you, Dr. We get it. You don't like projections of future events.

If you're not a fan of predictions, then why'd you bother opening the thread? You really expect there to be no predictions on a site like this?

Holy Jesus Martha. I can't express how I feel about predictions without catching holy hell. I don't give anyone hell for making a prediction, I just express my feelings about predictions. Merry Christmas to you too.

Holy Jesus Martha. I can't express how I feel about predictions without catching holy hell. I don't give anyone hell for making a prediction, I just express my feelings about predictions. Merry Christmas to you too.

Holy Jesus Martha, no need to get defensive. I feel the same way as SS here. It's one thing to not care about predictions, but it's another thing to constantly spam every thread with sarcastic remarks about people making them. The schtick seems to have gotten a bit old, I suppose.

I went game by game when when doing the predictions, trying to account for a few upsets along the way. In the end, I guess I think the Badgers will be solid, but not quite as good as usual. 5-9 in the standings appears to be a real crapshoot. And as bad as Penn State is, I had a difficult time giving the Nitts only one win.

I think they will be solid as well. I would give Michigan the nod this year, as I think they may turn out real good.

What basis for NW being better than the Gophs? Losing their PG is going to hurt them a lot, I think.

1. OSU
2. Indiana
3. Mich. St.
4. Illinois
5. Mich.
6. Wisconsin
7- Purdue
8. Minnesota
9. Northwestern
10. Penn. St.
11. Nebraska
12. Iowa

1. Ohio State (15-3)
2. Wisconsin (13-5)
3. Indiana (12-6)
4. Michigan (12-6)
5. Michigan State (11-7)
6. Illinois (10-8)
7. Purdue (9-9)
8. Minnesota (7-11)....With Mbakwe (10-8)
9. Northwestern (6-12)
10. Nebraska (4-14)
11. Iowa (3-15)
12. Penn State (1-16)

Hodger, you predict history to be made in picking Northwestern for the Dance. God bless you, and I hope you're right. It's about time they got over the hump.

Sorry I didn't pick, but I'd have to do considerable analysis and just haven't had the time.

1. OSU but # of wins depends on Sullinger's health low of 14 high of 17

2. who the hell knows: Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State all somewhere between 11 and 14

6. Illinois or Purdue 9-11

8. Minnesota or Northwestern 7-9 don't see enough consistent, reliable offense from the Gophers to do better than 9-9

10. Nebraska 5ish
11. Iowa 3ish
12. Penn State 2ish

1-ohio st
2-purdue
3-indiana
4-mich st
5-mich
6-wisky
7-illinois
8-Minnesota
9-northwestern
10-nebraska
11-iowa
12-penn st

This squad is going to exceed expectations. I'm partly saying this because I am an optimist and partly because our seasons have a tendency to disappoint. This year will be an exception... This season Tubby will regain some of the respect that he had coming into the program. Here's how I see it.

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Michigan
4. Indiana
5. Michigan State
6. Minnesota (10-8, 7 seed in the NCAA tourney)
7. Purdue
8. Illinois
9. Northwestern
10. Iowa
11. Nebraska
12. Penn State

@ Ill - W (bold prediction for our first road game of the season. Weber's teams are always overrated.)
@ Mich - L (Hardaway will be one of the top five players in the conference this year. They will overachieve again this year.)
Iowa - W
Purd. - L (This squad always scares me when they come to the barn. Other than the unbelievable game that we pulled out last year, they've had their way with us.)
@ Ind. - L (I'm impressed with what I've see so far out of Zeller and Olidipo especially, IND and MICH will make the biggest jump up in the conference standings this year)
@ Penn St. - W
NW - W
@ Mich. St. - L
Ill. - W
@ Iowa - W
@ Nebraska - W
Wisc. - L (I like our track record at the barn against WI. I'd love to see a Grier or Westbrook type performance out of someone to steal this one.)
Ohio State - L
@ NW - W (The 1-3-1 D always scares me and we don't have a good track record in Evanston. This year will be different with our guard saturated squad.)
Mich. St. - L (I thought we had this squad last year when we were up about 8 with 2 minutes remaining last year and then they just moved it into the next gear. We can't beat this team)
Indiana - W
@ Wisc. - L
Neb. - W
10-8 in the BIG TEN season

2. Michigan State (13-5) -- NCAA
3. Michigan (12-6) -- NCAA
5. Illinois (10-8) -- NCAA
T-6. Minnesota (9-9) -- NCAA
T-6. Purdue (9-9) -- NCAA
T-6. Indiana (9-9)--NCAA
9. Northwestern (8-10) --NIT
10. Nebraska (6-12)
11. Iowa (4-14)
12. Penn State (2-16)

So, I looked through the predictions of the 5 of us who predicted win/loss records for each team to see who embarrassed himself the least. Right off the bat, it looks like SS and howeda got it pretty close. I went team by team and totaled up how many games each of us were off from our prediction. For example, if you predicted OSU would go 15-3 (off by 2), MSU would go 12-6 (off by 1), you would be off by 3 games so far. The total for all 12 teams is below.

SS: 20 games off
howeda: 22 games off
Eye of the Gopher: 23 games off
GopherHoopsFan: 24 games off
mattw1067: 27 games off

Congrats SS, you were within at least 3 games for each team.

Thanks for following up on this Matt. I knew I was close on the Gophers and Michigan State.

Top Bottom