realtimerpi.com

gopher000

Reaction score
Updated rankings have gophers at #15 #1 in B10
Cbs sports RPI has gophers at #17 #2 in B10 behind MSU at #16

Still Ranked 45 in Pomeroy

And that is what the NCAA committee looks at. Need to go 10-8 minimum in B10 for bid.

http://kenpom.com/

Getting excited about what Minnesota's RPI is today is like getting excited if the Twins start off 15-8 and have a 3+ game lead on the rest of the division.

However, depending on a numerous other factors, the Gophers could conceivably go 8-10, win two games in the Big 1? tournament and make the field of 68.

At 9-9, you'd have to feel fairly good about your chances... 10-8 and feeling very good (unless they win their first 10, then drop their last 8).

Having a very good RPI is good going into conference play because it gives the team more room for error, obviously still have to win in the B10 but they are in a good position as of today.

Does anyone know how to figure out what our RPI would be if we beat Dayton? Would we be in the top 5?

And that is what the NCAA committee looks at. Need to go 10-8 minimum in B10 for bid.

http://kenpom.com/

10-8 minimum? Calm down. 9-9 will be by no means a lock, but 9-9 beating OSU doesn't get UM in? Please.

And for all the KenPom worshippers, it's also waaaay too early to begin quoting those ratings like gospel (as it is with RPI). Explain how Marquette is 12 spots lower than the Wisky team they whipped at the Kohl Center. If only basketball games were decided by algorithms...

Minnesota is number 11 on ESPN's InsideRPI. Why do these websites have different rankings? Isn't RPI a set formula?

Minnesota is number 11 on ESPN's InsideRPI. Why do these websites have different rankings? Isn't RPI a set formula?

I've always wondered that as well? and where does the selection committe get its RPI #?

Not all RPI rankings are created equal. Diff sources = diff calcs. All of them are silly.

This is untrue.

While technically correct, they do pay more than ZERO attention. RPI is actually the official statistic they use, right or wrong. Pomeroy and sagrin are there for selection members to have for their disposal but its not used in any serious capacity.. at least not yet. Could change soon as I think their is a movement to have less reliance on RPI. Anyway, regardless of the statistic, its just one of several factors used.

Also, California is 15 in Pomeroy. So as you can see, each system have a lot of flaws. CA is no more the 15th best team in the country as MN is....

Not all RPI rankings are created equal. Diff sources = diff calcs. All of them are silly.

Agree that not all RPI sources are created equal. But if all of them are silly, certainly the same can be said for Pomeroy?

Bottom line is some of us are more "RPI" guys, some of us are more "Pomeroy" guys. Different strokes for different folks. Neither of them are perfect, but they are ways of measuring teams. Only those who have served on the Selection Committee really know what goes into selecting/seeding the teams.

if you want to complain about the men's weak schedule, take a look at the women's and be thankful we don't schedule doubleheaders. The women beat the New Jersey Institute of Technology last night. That can't really help the RPI. Paying for that game in the ticket package would be a little painful.

Ok, I should have said there is ZERO 'official' capacity for the Pomeroy rankings within the committee selection process. Sure, they might take a look at them or have a sheet of rankings around. But, when it comes to actual info used in selecting the field, creating the seeding, etc., the guide they use is RPI. It isn't an "end-all be-all", but it is the guide they use. Top 50 wins, Top 100 wins, bad losses, good wins....all based on RPI rankings. Not on Pomeroy. So, it is far more important (as of now) to be ranked high in RPI than it is Pomeroy.

Both formula ranking systems are based on different things. Both of those concepts create flaws, especially this early in the year. How else could one explain the Wisconsin Badgers being ranked No. 1 in the nation as they are now by KenPom??

Quetion for SS...

or anyone who has some insight on this. Of the Gophers 6 current top 100 wins, it looks like Indiana St and Va Tech have a good chance of finishing in the top 100. Based on their remaining schedules, does it appear likely that any of the other 4 will finish in the top 100?

or anyone who has some insight on this. Of the Gophers 6 current top 100 wins, it looks like Indiana St and Va Tech have a good chance of finishing in the top 100. Based on their remaining schedules, does it appear likely that any of the other 4 will finish in the top 100?

At least a decent chance for Bucknell, SDSU, Fairfield & NDSU. You're probably talking 75-100, but each of those four could certainly be there.

Just wanted to bump this thread for all the KenPom-ites around. After losing at home to IOWA the #1 rated Badgers dropped to...#1. After losing to MSU tonight are there any guesses as to where his algorithms will rank Wisky?

The point here is that all of these rankings are flawed, some just more than others. Personally I prefer rankings that penalize a team for actual game results over what equations might say (i.e. bed-sh!ttings like losing at home to the Hogeyes), especially at this early stage of the season where data is incomplete.

GoGoGophers said:
Just wanted to bump this thread for all the KenPom-ites around. After losing at home to IOWA the #1 rated Badgers dropped to...#1. After losing to MSU tonight are there any guesses as to where his algorithms will rank Wisky?

The point here is that all of these rankings are flawed, some just more than others. Personally I prefer rankings that penalize a team for actual game results over what equations might say (i.e. bed-sh!ttings like losing at home to the Hogeyes), especially at this early stage of the season where data is incomplete.

Kenpom does not update until the following day. UWs RPI is now 61.

KenPom and RPI are worthless until February. How do you compare a loss to somebody to a win over nobody? The rankings have to wait until conference starts because teams like LBSU, MSU, IN play everybody and teams like MN and WI play like one tough NC game.

Kenpom does not update until the following day. UWs RPI is now 61.
Some in this thread were arguing about the superiority of KenPom rankings vs RPI, my original post and the previous were intended to highlight what I believe are major shortcomings.

After the Iowa loss, before tonight's game, his formulas still had them #1. How far will they drop tomorrow after their 2nd consecutive home loss? All the way to #3? Maybe there is more to this game than adjusted statistics and algorithms...

Top Bottom