Mav

eker0016

Importer Exporter
Reaction score
This is the first game that I have caught any snippets of this year, and I have been mostly impressed with Mav's quickness and defensive pressure. He has hit a few nice shots, too. After only watching a couple of games last year and seeing how he was out of his league (as a freshman, to be fair) it is nice to see him play pretty well.

I've noticed his improved play as well, but I'm also aware it's still not against Conference foes. Let's see if he continues his improved play next week.

Mav played well last night, hitting threes when open, playing decent d, and running the offense. My concern with him is that he throws some really lazy passes at times creating unforced turnovers. He just cannot afford to do that against better competition. He will turn the ball over enough when pressured by better athletes that he simply cannot afford to toss a soft pass into the post with no pressure on him.

My biggest concern on d, with Mav and others is that we are allowing way too much dribble penetration and letting guys get to the basket unimpeded on drives starting from 20 feet away. Need better footwork on the perimeter and more help under the basket.

Many posters voiced serious concerns about him prior to this season, with some hoping that he would not come back thus opening a scholarship for Tubby. The kid was just a freshman pushed into a position that he was not ready for last year. I think he is off to a great sophmore season and it is great to see his development under Tubby and team. In particular, Mav made a great bounce pass to Ralph last night with almost no opening that resulted in an easy 2 for Ralph.

Many posters voiced serious concerns about him prior to this season, with some hoping that he would not come back thus opening a scholarship for Tubby. The kid was just a freshman pushed into a position that he was not ready for last year. I think he is off to a great sophmore season and it is great to see his development under Tubby and team. In particular, Mav made a great bounce pass to Ralph last night with almost no opening that resulted in an easy 2 for Ralph.

Just another example of the "instant gratification" of today's youths.

Just another example of the "instant gratification" of today's youths.

Yes, because it was only the young folks on GopherHole that were calling for Mav to be replaced. What a fantastic assessment.

Yes, because it was only the young folks on GopherHole that were calling for Mav to be replaced. What a fantastic assessment.
Everyone is young compared to the good Doctor. Kidding, kidding.

Mav vs. NDSU-

The good:
Shooting, very controlled, nice touch, made shots
Looked poised when running the point
Trying to get teammates involved - offense looked decent, not great

The bad:
His defense, especially on-the-ball - horrible at times, blown past more than once, but was looking for help at least one of those
Risky passes - a few deflections, a couple poor passes in transition
Not enough dribble penetration on offense

If Mav plays 30 minutes in a big ten game it will not go well for the maroon and gold.

Top Bottom