Interesting precedent being set: Mbakwe's lawyers and Tubby should take notice

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...arraga-only-deaf-player-given-waiver-5th-year

The NCAA granted a Cal State-Northridge player an extra year simply because he only played a handful of minutes as a Freshman. There is no mention of injuries, redshirts, suspensions, or academic issues involved. I think the NCAA granted him the extra year because he is deaf.

Now, I realize Mbakwe's situation is completely different, but this ruling is setting a precedent that the NCAA is just making it up as they go and the right lawyer, coach, and AD (ugh) can make a difference....

If Doobie Oobie can go in the 1st round, someone will nab Trevor in the 2nd.

Now, if the NCAA denies his rights, does that automatically make him eligible for the NBA draft, or can he declare himself ineligible even though he would be done with college ball?

You are only eligible for the draft if you file the papers to enter.

Now, I realize Mbakwe's situation is completely different, but this ruling is setting a precedent that the NCAA is just making it up as they go and the right lawyer, coach, and AD (ugh) can make a difference....
I'd love to believe there was a good combo of factors that could make up for the NCAA being the NCAA, but I doubt it.

GoAUpher said:
I'd love to believe there was a good combo of factors that could make up for the NCAA being the NCAA, but I doubt it.

What helps Trevor is that ESPN, when they do talk about him, talk about all the adversity he has overcome and how well he has handled everything and how impressive he is. The media/public perception will matter somewhat (even if it's not much)

Top Bottom