Can Gophs Stop the Illini's Man in the Middle?

Reaction score
Can Gophs stop Illini's Leonard, 7'1", 13.5 per game (over 60% from the field), 7.1 R per game? Illini also feature deep guard play but seem undersized at the PF. It will be an interesting test. Can RSIII and EE stop Leonard? Will the inside out game of Illini with lots of 3s cause road doom?

A good defensive game from EE is essential along with a big game from Rodney, who may have a mismatch down low. If our guards match theirs, this could lead to a surprising result, e.g., 58-57 upset. On the other hand, if Leonard gets loose, and we then have to sag, Gophs soft defense against the 3 could lead to 72-55 blow-out.

Intriguing.

I have not been impressed with Leonard at all. I believe EE will neutralize him. I think it is a very winnable game for Minnesota.

Leonard is extremely aggressive.

That said, he tends to pick up a lot of fouls, most of them really stupid. We can handle him.

I'm more worried about Brandon Paul or Maniscalco getting hot from deep.

This would be a great match-up for Colt. Fouls to give.;)

I have not been impressed with Leonard at all. I believe EE will neutralize him. I think it is a very winnable game for Minnesota.

What's our lifetime record at Illinois? I don't even remember the last time we won there.
Found some info:
Minnesota’s last victory over Illinois in Champaign came during the 1977-78 season, 75-69 at Assembly Hall.
***The Gophers defeated the Illini 67-66 during the 1995-96 season in Champaign but the game has since been vacated.

What's our lifetime record at Illinois? I don't even remember the last time we won there.
Found some info:
Minnesota’s last victory over Illinois in Champaign came during the 1977-78 season, 75-69 at Assembly Hall.
***The Gophers defeated the Illini 67-66 during the 1995-96 season in Champaign but the game has since been vacated.

Also won a couple of years ago during a pretty bad Illini season. After such long futility, it was a significant win in the new era, along with breaking the near 20 game losing streak against them at home.

Found some info:

As Holy Man mentioned, looks like you've got some bad info -- the Gophers won 62-60 in 2010. Brandon Paul and DJ Richardson, both of whom along with Sam M. I'd be more worried about than Leonard, went a combined 5/20 from the field and Illinois shot under 32% for the game. Ugly first half, 24-14 Minnesota.

Whatever the number is, I'd think the under in Gophers-Illini game. Points are going to be at a premium. Will be surprised if both teams score in the 60's.

OP question...

Can Gophs Stop the Illini's Man in the Middle?

Maybe, maybe not. I feel strongly both ways.

UNLV exposed Illinois today. Overall rough day for the B1G. Purdue blew a big lead to a mediocre Butler team and Northwestern struggled with Central Connecticut State until the end.

UNLV exposed Illinois today. Overall rough day for the B1G. Purdue blew a big lead to a mediocre Butler team and Northwestern struggled with Central Connecticut State until the end.

And yet people keep saying how good the Big Ten is this year. I don't buy it.

And yet people keep saying how good the Big Ten is this year. I don't buy it.

Certainly had their way with the ACC. 3rd year n a row. Best conference in NCAA this year in my opinion.

]And yet people keep saying how good the Big Ten is this year. I don't buy it.

All games during finals and Christmas are taken with a grain of salt. For multiple reasons, players and maybe coaches are not "all there." If the trend continues into January, then we can spot something more permanent.

It would have been a great match up for Colt, as it will be for Andre Ingram and Chris Halvorson if need be. If that is all that we expected out of Colt then both of these guys can perform at that level (fouls to give). Colt will probably have a decent pro career but he was lost last year. A year off for him and the team was best.

The big loss here other than Trevor is Mo. Tubby keeps talking about Mo working out and getting stronger but will not forecast or deny a return this year. We won't have Mo for the December match up but if he could be ready by January 28th we would dominate them.

The big loss here other than Trevor is Mo. Tubby keeps talking about Mo working out and getting stronger but will not forecast or deny a return this year. We won't have Mo for the December match up but if he could be ready by January 28th we would dominate them.

Is it really worth playing him at that point though? If he does, it'll be a similar case as with Nolen in his last two seasons, in which in the end he'll have played one season's worth of games (less actually, if he doesn't begin playing again @Illinois, which I don't really expect) and used two seasons' worth of eligibility.

As much as I would love to see him on the floor again, I feel like it's better to use this year as a redshirt year for Mo and just not let him play this season.

Is it really worth playing him at that point though?

I agree. He would be awfully rusty. He hasn't played for over a year.

I don't think you can just hold him out though if he's healthy. If it's determined that he could have played half the season, he may not get the redshirt.

I don't think you can just hold him out though if he's healthy. If it's determined that he could have played half the season, he may not get the redshirt.

Sure you can. In Walker's case, he has a redshirt year available (i.e., 3 years after 2011-12 left on his clock, and 3 years of eligibility remaining if he doesn't play at all this season). A redshirt isn't something you seek out or get, it is just a description of a fact.

However, in general if a guy can help a team anytime by before late January/early February (and possibly later), I would let him play if he's agreeable to it. You don't know what the roster will look like in three weeks, much less in three years.

If it was as simple as having two options: (a) plays a little this year, then plays two more full years, or (b) sits this year, plays three more years, then that's one thing.. but nothing is promised and things can change in a moment's notice. If he's healthy enough, wants to play and can help the team, play him. (Note: I'm speaking in general terms, not specific to Walker's status.)

Josh and Mike@bigtengeeks: Meyers Leonard, the only Illini scoring, just left the game holding his back. Could Illinois season be unravelling before our eyes?

Zero bench points for the Illini tonight. They look very beatable. It would be nice to steal a road win right off the bat.

I'm hopeful, but I still think it's going to be tough for us to beat them at Champaign. I'm a Gonzaga fan as well (went there for my 1st year of law school) and I was pretty impressed at Ill's ability to essentially lead from start to finish against a very good Gonzaga team.

It would definitely be an upset. They just like the same inconsistent team on offense even with the new cast.

Illinois is really good if they have their shot (obvious point is obvious). Brandon Paul and DJ Richardson like to put up bad ones. I think we can contain Meyers Leonard by getting him into foul trouble early on the offensive end. I would think Eliot would be a better match-up because he is more aggressive in the post (Ralph doesn't like to bang with people). Their bench is talented, but young, and we should be able to exploit that.

Top Bottom