Gophers one of Lunardi's "First 4 Out"

I don't know about Nortwestern, I'd be a great story if they got in though, obviously. But no argument here, I think right now, the best we can project in as a bubble team.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see 8 Big East tourney teams.

6 yes, 7 maybe, but not 8. Definitely a down year for the conference in my mind (Notre Dame, Villanova, WV).

Predictions are just that...Predictions. I predict that we let the seasons get into full swing, and then Predict.

Wow, I saw he had Indiana as a new team to the bracket in as a 4 seed. That seems rather bold.

Interesting. I was always under the impression he did these 'as of today'? If so, I would expect us to be in. If he's projecting, then I understand it.

Yes, these early ones (before conference play gets going in the major conferences) you almost have to project ahead. ... there's not enough data. By mid- to late January, it's start getting easier to select teams (the field) based on their actual merits.

8 teams in for Big ten is crazy!

I would love to see the gophers in the dance, who wouldve thought without trevor this would happen.

keep it rolling.

Predictions aside, I think he is suggesting that the B1G will be very strong this year.. I think the Gophers can definitely sneak past either Purdue, Indiana, Northwester, or Michigan and get into the tourney. Just need a couple of marquee road victories, how about Illinois and Michigan and get them out of the way early!

GopherHoopsFan

He refers to us as the Goofers. Nice.

That's only because someone sent in a question under the username "Goofer fan."

And I think some people are really exaggerating Indiana's win over Kentucky. For starters, moving them from not in the tourney up to a 4-seed, and then one Hoosier fan was predicting 14-4 in conference this year, preseason top 10 next year, and top 5 in 2014 with a shot at the national title. I mean, congrats on the win, but hold your horses, jeez. Although maybe it's just me not wanting to believe that Indiana is good again yet. I think we'll beat them at the Barn, hopefully on the road, but I suppose I shouldn't expect that.

That's only because someone sent in a question under the username "Goofer fan."

And I think some people are really exaggerating Indiana's win over Kentucky. For starters, moving them from not in the tourney up to a 4-seed, and then one Hoosier fan was predicting 14-4 in conference this year, preseason top 10 next year, and top 5 in 2014 with a shot at the national title. I mean, congrats on the win, but hold your horses, jeez. Although maybe it's just me not wanting to believe that Indiana is good again yet. I think we'll beat them at the Barn, hopefully on the road, but I suppose I shouldn't expect that.

14-4 for this season is a little over the top, but at least on paper they do have the potential to be a top 10 team within the next couple of years in my opinion. If you've seen their 2012 recruiting class play at all you would probably agree. They're not only bringing in a ton of talent, but it's equally spread out amongst all the positions and each player complements the other nicely. They've also all played together in AAU so the chemistry will be there right away. They won't have any excuse to be outside the top 5 of the Big Ten once those players arrive in my opinion.

14-4 for this season is a little over the top, but at least on paper they do have the potential to be a top 10 team within the next couple of years in my opinion. If you've seen their 2012 recruiting class play at all you would probably agree. They're not only bringing in a ton of talent, but it's equally spread out amongst all the positions and each player complements the other nicely. They've also all played together in AAU so the chemistry will be there right away. They won't have any excuse to be outside the top 5 of the Big Ten once those players arrive in my opinion.

I don't really follow recruiting for the other teams, so I didn't know they already had a good class lined up for 2012. Just to think that a team that has less than 10 or so combined Big Ten wins in the last three years is looking to be ranked for most of the next 2 or 3 seasons...wow. But then I suppose that could have been us if Royce White had stayed and Mbakwe been able to play right away, and Joseph hadn't left and Nolen hadn't gotten injured. :cry:

And after such poor performance, how is Indiana able to get players like this? Is it just because of name recognition? I only really started caring about college basketball at all in 2007, Tubby's first year, and even then I only really cared about Minnesota, to the point that I really had no idea how good the other teams in the conference were, so the idea of Indiana being a national basketball power is a little weird to me still, since I really only know them as a Big Ten bottom dweller (who still beats us in Bloomington) the last few years.

And after such poor performance, how is Indiana able to get players like this? Is it just because of name recognition?

All of them are "from" Indiana and play for the same AAU team. There was/is an NCAA investigation going on with people involved with that AAU program so it's possible there was stuff going on behind the scenes that encouraged them all to go there, but I won't even pretend to know the truth. Maybe they just all realized it would be easy to stay home and if they all stuck together they could bring a storied program back to the top. Would be nice if Tyus, Rashad, and Travis do the same.

Top Bottom