Sid: U record impressive

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"U record impressive

The Gophers men's basketball team, 11-1 after beating Central Michigan 76-56 on Tuesday, were one of only three Division I teams with at least 10 victories against other D-I schools after last weekend. The other two are Syracuse, which is the new No. 1 in the Associated Press poll after Kentucky's loss to Indiana, and Illinois, which is ranked 19th.

The Gophers not only aren't ranked, but they didn't get a single vote in either major poll released Monday. Certainly, the Gophers have not played a great schedule -- their strength of schedule was ranked 72nd in the nation, according to cbssports.com -- but top-10 teams Louisville and Xavier have played schedules rated much worse. Murray State is 10-0 and appeared in the Associated Press poll at No. 24, but three of the Racers' victories are against non- Division I schools.

Last week, Gophers coach Tubby Smith and assistant Ron Jirsa watched signed recruit Wally Ellenson of Rice Lake, Wis., score 14 points in an 72-40 victory over Amery. He is a 6-5 senior wing. ... Charles Buggs, another Gophers signed recruit who is a 6-8 power forward attending Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., recently was on the school's President's Commendation list for having a grade-point average of 3.3 or higher.

Former Gophers guard Blake Hoffarber started the season with the Fos Ouest Provence team in France and averaged about 10 points per game, but recently was released when one of the team's injured American players came back. The team is limited to three Americans."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/135620673.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom