Rodney

Juicer

Reaction score
I don't think enough can be said for his development this year. He is turning into the guy that does a bit of everything; score in transition, rebound, block shots, assist, etc. One sequence last night that I think epitomized his development, in a round about way: bricked a free throw, then chased down the rebound and knocked it off a Cent. Mich. player to get the ball back. In the past, if he bricked a free throw, he would have ran back and thought about it, affecting his game.

He is leveraging his strengths as a player: athleticism, quickness, length. He is uber-efficient shooting the ball right now, gets his hands on everything, and is making good decisions with the ball. 30 assists for the year with 14 turnovers.

He is really fun to watch right now.

Some on the Hole kept posting critical comments about Tubby for not developing Rodney as a player just a few weeks back. Some on the Hole have been quite quiet on Rodney's recent production. Some on the Hole lack basketball sense if they don't think Rodney has developed under Tubby.

Some on the Hole kept posting critical comments about Tubby for not developing Rodney as a player just a few weeks back. Some on the Hole have been quite quiet on Rodney's recent production. Some on the Hole lack basketball sense if they don't think Rodney has developed under Tubby.

Some??? Holy Jesus, Martha.

I'm most impressed about how Austin Hollins has developed and became one of out best all around players.

I'm most impressed about how Austin Hollins has developed and became one of out best all around players.

Well, that was just the Celtics unleashing ... wait, taking the handcuffs, wait, Tubby developed a player???? Huh?????

Has Rodney suddenly developed in the last month, or is he finally being put in the proper position to succeed.

While I think he has played well, I think it's important to note this is still the non conference and Rodney has shown glimses in his freshman and sophomore year. Would like to see him keep up this play into Big Ten play.

Has Rodney suddenly developed in the last month, or is he finally being put in the proper position to succeed.

You would have to think that he is being put into the proper position to succeed. His sudden maturity happened after trevor went down and he received more time at the 4 position. I can only imagine what the team would look like with trevor and rodney playing the 4 and 5 position together.

Since Trevor went down, he's averaging 11.8 points a game, shooting 69% from the field, and averaging 7 REB, 2.4 AST, 2.8 BLK, and 2.2 STL. He most definitely looks more comfortable at the four spot.

I don't think enough can be said for his development this year. He is turning into the guy that does a bit of everything; score in transition, rebound, block shots, assist, etc. One sequence last night that I think epitomized his development, in a round about way: bricked a free throw, then chased down the rebound and knocked it off a Cent. Mich. player to get the ball back. In the past, if he bricked a free throw, he would have ran back and thought about it, affecting his game.

He is leveraging his strengths as a player: athleticism, quickness, length. He is uber-efficient shooting the ball right now, gets his hands on everything, and is making good decisions with the ball. 30 assists for the year with 14 turnovers.

He is really fun to watch right now.

Thius far in his junior season, RW has played well. The season is about 1/3 over, the easy part of the schedule. Until his junior season, the young man has not perfromed well at all. Most sensible folks would agree - some (STAN) wont. Did coaching play a role in the past two seasons?

RW development is an interesting case - most (not STAN) would agree that so many tools are there that it would be a difficult task to not get production from such a talented player. On the other hand, it is, in large part, up to the player to put the work in to develop.

What role does coaching play in the development of players?

Fun question.

I found myself concerned about the degree to which our post players and Rodney struggled to score against C. Mich.

Moonlight said:
I found myself concerned about the degree to which our post players and Rodney struggled to score against C. Mich.

C. Michigan packed it in with that zone.

I admit I have probably watched more games already this season than I have each of the past 2, but I hadn't seen anything the past 2 years to understand why people thought he was even a first round pick. After watching about 5 games this season, I think he's a top-10 pick. Tubby has done well with him.

Sampson has been another player I have not been a fan of the little I've seen the last few years, but even he seems to impress me at times this season. I haven't seen a Gophers team that's excited me like this year's team since pre-scandal. I can't imagine if we still had Mbakwe.

Schlic Daddy said:
I admit I have probably watched more games already this season than I have each of the past 2, but I hadn't seen anything the past 2 years to understand why people thought he was even a first round pick. After watching about 5 games this season, I think he's a top-10 pick. Tubby has done well with him.

Sampson has been another player I have not been a fan of the little I've seen the last few years, but even he seems to impress me at times this season. I haven't seen a Gophers team that's excited me like this year's team since pre-scandal. I can't imagine if we still had Mbakwe.

Just curious, but how does this team excite you more than last year after beating UNC and WV in Puerto Rico?

Just curious, but how does this team excite you more than last year after beating UNC and WV in Puerto Rico?

This team seems to have more athleticism and more balance. They also seem to be on the same page and play as a team. I felt like last year's team played more 1-on-1 (when I was watching anyways). Also, I'm seeing a lot of improvement from some of the older players that I didn't really see last year. Even guys like Joseph (I realize he quit) and Hoff--I didn't feel like they improved much before they finished at the U. Hoff was a good player, but I didn't feel like he was much better his senior year than his freshman year. I've seen improvement this year from every returner and some of the freshmen are making impacts as well.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of improvement from some of the older players that I didn't really see last year. Even guys like Joseph (I realize he quit) and Hoff--I didn't feel like they improved much before they finished at the U. Hoff was a good player, but I didn't feel like he was much better his senior year than his freshman year. I've seen improvement this year from every returner and some of the freshmen are making impacts as well.

I thought Hoff definitely improved a lot from his first year to his senior year. It seemed to me he especially improved between his soph and junior years, when he realized he had to do more than just literally shoot threes cause teams weren't just gonna let him stand there and shoot wide open threes. He developed his off ball skills so he could get more free looks, quickened his shot release, and most notably improved his ball handling to the point where he was able to at least occasionally put it down and get a shot up. I most remember that Purdue game last year, when he scored like 26, but did it in a variety of ways, not just with his three point shot.

I thought Hoff definitely improved a lot from his first year to his senior year. It seemed to me he especially improved between his soph and junior years, when he realized he had to do more than just literally shoot threes cause teams weren't just gonna let him stand there and shoot wide open threes. He developed his off ball skills so he could get more free looks, quickened his shot release, and most notably improved his ball handling to the point where he was able to at least occasionally put it down and get a shot up. I most remember that Purdue game last year, when he scored like 26, but did it in a variety of ways, not just with his three point shot.

Yeah I don't know how anyone could say he didn't improve. Last year about 42% of his made field goal attempts were 2-point shots, which was by far the highest percentage in his four years.

Yeah I don't know how anyone could say he didn't improve. Last year about 42% of his made field goal attempts were 2-point shots, which was by far the highest percentage in his four years.
x2.

Seriously Schlic? You don't think Hoff was a markedly improved player in his senior year vs. his freshman year?

I think he improved, but not a lot. Look at his numbers:
2007-08: 8.4 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 1.1 APG, .427 3pt%, 20.2 MPG
2008-09: 6.4 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 1.3 APG, .341 3pt%, 22.0 MPG
2009-10: 10.0 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 1.8 APG, .467 3pt%, 27.8 MPG
2010-11: 13.6 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 4.1 APG, .389 3pt%, 35.0 MPG

I'm not trying to start a holy war here and I think Hoff was a very good player. I just didn't think he improved from his freshman to senior year like, say, RW has from his freshman to junior year.

i have always liked Rodney and think he has gotten better, but would like to see his stats for previous years non-conference games vs this years non-conference games. He has had flashes in the past it just seems like they all came in the non-conference portion of the schedule.

I think he improved, but not a lot. Look at his numbers:
2007-08: 8.4 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 1.1 APG, .427 3pt%, 20.2 MPG
2008-09: 6.4 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 1.3 APG, .341 3pt%, 22.0 MPG
2009-10: 10.0 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 1.8 APG, .467 3pt%, 27.8 MPG
2010-11: 13.6 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 4.1 APG, .389 3pt%, 35.0 MPG

I'm not trying to start a holy war here and I think Hoff was a very good player. I just didn't think he improved from his freshman to senior year like, say, RW has from his freshman to junior year.
I think with a guy like Hoff you can't just look at #'s for improvement. He added things to his game. He was fantastic off the ball getting open Junior and Senior year and he added the ability to drive senior year.

Let's wait until the B10 season.

Top Bottom