6th year for Trevor?

EG#9

Reaction score
During the ESPN broadcast tonight, the play by play guy mentioned that the Gophers were seeking a 6th year for Trevor. I doubt that Trevor would have any interest in coming back for a 6th year, so I thought it was interesting that the Gophers were seeking it.

The only way I see Trevor possibly coming back is that it will tough to be drafted in round one without being able to work out for teams prior to the draft. No overseas team will likely sign him until he's healthy, so it might be beneficial to come back to the "U" and rehab under the supervision of trainers who are familiar with him? That's about the only line of thinking I can come up with where Trevor decides to come back if he were to get a 6th year.

Just don't get your hopes up. 6th years are very rarely given, and Trevor is not going to want to come back unless it looks like he won't have an NBA shot, and even then he'll just go overseas.

So how would the 2 schollies and letters of intent work out for Buggs and Ellenson if Trev stayed and Rodney didn't head to the NBA? Would they force someone out (Rodney even if his intention is to stay)?

Sounds like a smart back up plan...if Trev gets a sixth year he has more options than just undrafted NBA or over seas...especially if his rehab doesn't go well and he isn't able to get back on the court fully for 12 months...that puts him past the start of the NBA season, past D-league, etc.

Is anyone really worried about a scholly opening up with our history.

As much as I like Trevor, I'm having a hard time seeing him get drafted in any round coming off a majory knee injury, especially with him being older than most other kids out of the draft. His best shot might be to rehab the knee at the U, as EG mentioned. That said, I'm not holding my breath for a 6th year of eligibility.

6th year for Trevor?

Maybe. Maybe not.

As much as I like Trevor, I'm having a hard time seeing him get drafted in any round coming off a majory knee injury, especially with him being older than most other kids out of the draft. His best shot might be to rehab the knee at the U, as EG mentioned. That said, I'm not holding my breath for a 6th year of eligibility.

I think if Trevor is fairly confident in a first round draft pick (Guerenteed money), he leaves. Any chance he goes 2nd round or undrafted, he stays if granted the 6th year. 2nd round pick or undrafted can be achieved after his 6th year. If there is for sure money on the table though, gotta take it.

I think it is time for Trevor to move on. Even if it means playing in Europe, he only has so many years where he is going to be able to make money playing basketball. From a pro basketball perspective he is old now for a first year player whether it is in Europe or the NBA, staying in college another year isn't going to do him alot of good.

I think it is time for Trevor to move on. Even if it means playing in Europe, he only has so many years where he is going to be able to make money playing basketball. From a pro basketball perspective he is old now for a first year player whether it is in Europe or the NBA, staying in college another year isn't going to do him alot of good.

Will he graduate this year?

Will he graduate this year?

Yes, Trevor will graduate this month.

He literally just tweeted this: "Last final in a cpl hours I can't wait. Now I can just focus on rehabbing and lifting and watching my boys get off to a good start in the Conference"

So in other words, we'll pretty much know if he has any intention of coming back for a 6th year in a few weeks if he enrolls in a graduate program and keeps his eligibility open, won't we? Or since he graduates, can he take the semester off and then start grad school in the fall if he gets and wants to use a 6th year? I'm not sure how that works.

Go Gophers!!

He literally just tweeted this: "Last final in a cpl hours I can't wait. Now I can just focus on rehabbing and lifting and watching my boys get off to a good start in the Conference"

So in other words, we'll pretty much know if he has any intention of coming back for a 6th year in a few weeks if he enrolls in a graduate program and keeps his eligibility open, won't we? Or since he graduates, can he take the semester off and then start grad school in the fall if he gets and wants to use a 6th year? I'm not sure how that works.

Go Gophers!!

Good news. That will be interesting to see what he does.

I think staying would do him a lot of good. He won't get drafted in the first round for 2 reasons. First, this draft is the best we've had in years due to this years sophomores staying because of last years NBA lockout. Second, this is his second major surgery and teams aren't going to risk guaranteed money on him.

I believe that if Trevor comes back healthy and plays like he did last year, he will be a 1st rounder due to a weaker draft and reassurance to teams. And 1st round means guaranteed money.

I think staying would do him a lot of good. He won't get drafted in the first round for 2 reasons. First, this draft is the best we've had in years due to this years sophomores staying because of last years NBA lockout. Second, this is his second major surgery and teams aren't going to risk guaranteed money on him.

I believe that if Trevor comes back healthy and plays like he did last year, he will be a 1st rounder due to a weaker draft and reassurance to teams. And 1st round means guaranteed money.

Agreed. I don't know how his draft position will look this year, but if it isn't first round he is better off staying. You can get 2nd round/undrafted money any time. First round money you only have one shot at. Hopefully if that shot isn't this year, he comes back and gets it next year!

Captain, I think you have the angle here. He might expect to be drafted in the 2nd round coming off the injury, which means a smaller contract and having to earn his way onto a roster. Many if not most projected him as a 1st rounder before the injury. Add to that his obvious affection for his teammates, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him interested in a 6th year, NCAA permitting.

Captain, I think you have the angle here. He might expect to be drafted in the 2nd round coming off the injury, which means a smaller contract and having to earn his way onto a roster. Many if not most projected him as a 1st rounder before the injury. Add to that his obvious affection for his teammates, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him interested in a 6th year, NCAA permitting

From a career standpoint, he may be better off with a 6th year given all that the thread lists. However, the reason he needs a 6th year will not likely win him the favor of the suits in Indianapolis. The likelihood of another year is probably very small.

The question about his student status for the spring semester is a good one. Does anyone know if he has to be enrolled in the spring to be eligible in the fall?

These 6th year applications are each handled differently depending on the circumstances. Mbakwe likely has an uphill battle because the NCAA will look at why he used his original redshirt season - suspension due to legal matters - and not an injury.

These 6th year applications are each handled differently depending on the circumstances. Mbakwe likely has an uphill battle because the NCAA will look at why he used his original redshirt season - suspension due to legal matters - and not an injury.

Agreed. It all depends, IMO, how the NCAA views Trevor. Do they view his legal troubles as him being a hoodlum or do they view him as a kid who just can't catch a break and has overcome adversity only to tear his second ACL? If they view him as the second, I think he gets a 6th year. View him as a the first? He's gone.

It's really going to be a tough decision for him. I think the worst thing is in the back of his mind here sits Mo Walker who's had almost a full year off and isn't near ready to come back yet. So what do you do? Grab the money if it's there, if anyone is willing to take a chance on you while you're still in the middle of your rehab and a bigger if you'll be granted an extra year.

He can concentrate entirely on basketball next year AND get paid in Europe right?

I don't see how this is even a question if he has the opportunity to play professionally.

Why take classes and lose a year of income? He has a degree.

Studwell55 said:
He can concentrate entirely on basketball next year AND get paid in Europe right?

I don't see how this is even a question if he has the opportunity to play professionally.

Why take classes and lose a year of income? He has a degree.

Because he could likely get paid to play in Europe any time. You get the impression his goal is and always has been to be in the NBA. I think he holds out for that.

From Twitter @ozzie707 @TMbakwe32 will you and ur double-doubles be back in a gopher uniform next year? #needyoubro” Probably won't know until the end of season.

this should end the speculation until the end of the season. Or next week when someone asks again,

Go Gophers!!

I am pretty sure Trevor needs to take classes 2nd semester this year in order to maintain eligibility for next fall even though he will graduate in December. I believe I heard a minimum 12 credits is necessary to maintain eligibility on a previous Tubby Smith show. Tubby also seemed to express some concern about the time Trevor would need to rehab his knee and also get to class to take the full 12 credits and whether the NCAA would take that into consideration. He did not sound too optimistic. I think the NCAA will try to stay clear of Trevor's legal issues and try to stay close to previous NCAA guidelines - though I doubt they have had many cases similar to Trevor's. They do not want to grind any axes in this or any other case. They will or should leave that up to the courts to settle.

Here is a quote from an article about a different case involving a sixth year of eligibility:

"NCAA rules specify that to grant a sixth year, an athlete has to have lost two seasons for reasons out of the control of him/her and the school.

Under NCAA rules, a voluntary red-shirt season is not considered such a circumstance."

Link for article and quote:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/14/ncaa-benevolence-gets-case-keenum-a-sixth-year/

It seems to me that in order to be granted a 6th year you would need to sit out two years for reasons not under your control. For example a mandatory red-shirt if you are transferring from another NCAA school and/or an injury or injuries. These are the only situations that seem likely to lead the NCAA toward granting a 6th year of eligibility. Since Trevor's 1st year at Minnesota was a voluntary red-shirt year (at least voluntary from the U's point of view) that does not seem likely to translate toward counting as a 6th year exception. If Trevor had somehow gotten injured that 1st year and that was the reason for his red-shirt the 6th year option might be a lot more likely.

Let the NCAA decide.

It seems to me that in order to be granted a 6th year you would need to sit out two years for reasons not under your control. For example a mandatory red-shirt if you are transferring from another NCAA school and/or an injury or injuries.

With respect to the Five-Year Rule Waiver, the mandatory year in residence before competing in a DI to DI transfer situation is deemed to be within control (same as a redshirt year by decision of the coach to not play someone).

NCAA Operating Bylaws said:
Five-Year Rule Waiver >> Waiver Criteria >> Circumstances Within Control >> An inability to participate as a result of a transfer year in residence

^^^ taken by me from the NCAA Operating Bylaws.

Originally posted by whom?

Thanks for the clarification - I think.

Top Bottom