Game Preview: Central Michigan 12/13/11 & J.B.'s Jottings

• Injured star Trevor Mbakwe pled guilty to his harassment charge Monday morning, which stemmed from a January 2011 incident. The next court appearance in the far more serious Miami felony charge is scheduled for next month. Together, these criminal cases significantly damage one of the longshot arguments that Mbakwe and the Gophers have for a sixth year. The University may avoid some criticism on their 2011 response to these criminal issues because of Mbakwe’s unfortunate injury, but the possibility for significant negative attention still remains.

Do you actually think he is guilty or what is your f'n problem?

• Chip Armelin takes more than 27% of his team’s shots when he’s on the floor and is one of the top 10 volume shooters (guys that take a ton of their team’s shots; minimum of 40% of team’s minutes played) in the Big Ten. In the top 10, 7 players average more than 16 points per game and another averages 11.6. Only Iowa freshman Andrew White (7.4 ppg) and Armelin (6.0 ppg) average less than double-digit scoring.

You can't stand him, we get it.

• Injured star Trevor Mbakwe pled guilty to his harassment charge Monday morning, which stemmed from a January 2011 incident. The next court appearance in the far more serious Miami felony charge is scheduled for next month. Together, these criminal cases significantly damage one of the longshot arguments that Mbakwe and the Gophers have for a sixth year. The University may avoid some criticism on their 2011 response to these criminal issues because of Mbakwe’s unfortunate injury, but the possibility for significant negative attention still remains.

What does this have to do with the Central Michigan game?

What does this have to do with the Central Michigan game?

+1 Not to mention the detail of his "harassment" seems to be left out.. basically asking how his ex was doing. Probably not a good decision given his order to stay clear, but hardly a serious character issue.

Guess I don't need to read the preview.

[
• "Chip Armelin takes more than 27% of his team’s shots when he’s on the floor and is one of the top 10 volume shooters (guys that take a ton of their team’s shots; minimum of 40% of team’s minutes played) in the Big Ten. In the top 10, 7 players average more than 16 points per game and another averages 11.6. Only Iowa freshman Andrew White (7.4 ppg) and Armelin (6.0 ppg) average less than double-digit scoring."

Good. And I hope he keeps on shooting, everything but 3's that is. Chip has made 55% of his FG attempts the past four games.

Maybe it would be better served to post something positive about Chip for once in the previews as he has been solid since Trevor went down.

Shoot, Chip, shoot!!

Chip has been a solid contributor for the Gophers. Some mistakes, sure, but I like seeing him in the game more often than not. As much I like to look at stats, sometimes I gotta' go by what my eyes tell me, not necessarily what some of the stats tell me. My eyes tell me more good than bad things happen when Chip is on the floor.

+1 Not to mention the detail of his "harassment" seems to be left out.. basically asking how his ex was doing. Probably not a good decision given his order to stay clear, but hardly a serious character issue.

+1. I've already seen enough.

SS, some people use stats only to justify their disdain for a certain player or players. I totally agree with you regarding Chip's floor presence and positive things that happen versus the negative things that happen. Thanks for seeing things in reality rather than just using stats. This is also why coaches coach, and fans justify their dislike using stats. Thanks again.

I think that sound you hear is an axe still grinding.

Not saying there's a right or wrong answer, just a difference of opinion. GW seems higher on Ralph than most, lower on Chip than most. I'm pretty much the opposite, relative to what I think they're getting/can get out of their abilities. It's all how we look at things, I guess.

I agree with GW that the Gophers need Ralph to perform at a very high level in order to salvage this season.

[
• "Chip Armelin takes more than 27% of his team’s shots when he’s on the floor and is one of the top 10 volume shooters (guys that take a ton of their team’s shots; minimum of 40% of team’s minutes played) in the Big Ten. In the top 10, 7 players average more than 16 points per game and another averages 11.6. Only Iowa freshman Andrew White (7.4 ppg) and Armelin (6.0 ppg) average less than double-digit scoring."

Good. And I hope he keeps on shooting, everything but 3's that is. Chip has made 55% of his FG attempts the past four games.

Maybe it would be better served to post something positive about Chip for once in the previews as he has been solid since Trevor went down.

Shoot, Chip, shoot!!

Agree. It also matters who you are out on the floor with. If you are out there consistently with better offensive players than you- then you shouldn't be taking many shots. Often when Chip first goes out there- he's with the second squad and he's kind of a go to guy on that squad.

Chip needs to improve his free throw shooting. If he does that he might be more willing to seek more contact and pick up fouls on his drives. He appears to able able to beat a guy off the dribble most times he gets the ball. That's pretty valuable in tight games when the offense ain't clicking.

Chip certainly isn't shy about chucking up shots and he makes lots of plays with his aggressiveness. In fact, the energy he brings to the floor can't be matched by anyone else off the bench. However, he's reckless, yet in a Lawrence Westbrook-type way. And that type of confidence is exactly what this team needs.

The question is, and continues to be, whether or not he can evolve from being the guy that surprises you with his execution to the guy that gets the job done when you expect it. He's going in the right direction, but I still cover my eyes when he's going full tilt towards the hoop.

Junk stat alert. Lemme see if I even understand what this stat is supposed to mean.

1. He takes more than 27 percent of his teams shots when he is on the floor. Well, if shots were distributed exactly equally he'd be taking 20 percent, right? So we're supposed to get all bent out of shape because he's taking 7 percent more shots than his "fair share"? That is profoundly stupid.

2. And he plays more than 40 percent of his team's minutes, which is 16 per game. And presumably therefore the other fellows he's being compared to also play 16 minutes or more.

3. And putting these 2 things together you get a cohort of 10 "volume shooters." I still don't know what a volume shooter is, however. But putting that aside you've got 10 guys who are "volume shooters." Of course you don't say who they are. 7 of them score in double figures, 1 is a 7.5 and Armelin is at 6. What happened to the 10th volume shooter?

But more to the point, Armelin has played exactly 40 percent of his team's minutes (16 per game) and he has scored 6 ppg and that makes him a bum? Compared to other guys who play at least 16 minutes per game and who average in double figures?

Well, HOW MANY MINUTES DO THEY PLAY? Chip plays 16 and scores 6, a point every 2.67 minutes. So what if some guy is scoring 12 ppg in 32 minutes? Or 10 in 27 minutes? Or 15 in 40 minutes? They're all scoring at the same rate as Chip, a point every 2.67 minutes.

In fact, only Mbakwe, Welch, Sampson and Coleman score 1 point per fewer minutes for Minnesota.

The key to this kind of statistical slight-of-hand is to create a phony "group" and to put Chip in it. But he probably has little in common with others in "his" group. He's played more than 16 minutes per game and they've played more than 16 minutes per game? But what if they've in fact played 20-22-25-28-30-32-35 minutes per game and he's only played 16? Then this whole analysis is nothing but a hatchet job.

That uncalled for shot at Trevor is why I refuse to read this JB guy's "articles." He can't set aside his personal feelings (as a Marquette fan). I'm sure he'll be bad mouthing Tom Crean when he writes his Indiana previews.

Thanks for the comments.

sunnday2 - There was no analysis. I was simply stating what I consider to be an interesting fact. Sort of like how many 20+ victories Minnesota has had in the past two seasons. What does it mean other than he shoots a lot when he's in the game? That's for you to decide. All I illustrated is that Armelin shoots a lot and most players in the Big Ten who shoot as much as he does are big time scorers. That's it.

The next step is for you to decide what that means - some may feel this means he needs more time because he can score for this Minnesota team that lacks aggressive scorers (i.e., "wow, he really gets going on offense"). You read something that wasn't there, I assure you, as this was meant to be a 'quick bullet' that some might find interesting, not an analysis (see the Andre Hollins: Setting expectations article for an analysis piece) or an argument.

As for the legal matters, I'll try to stick to what others are reporting & keep more detailed comments to one-to-one conversations.

Agree. It also matters who you are out on the floor with. If you are out there consistently with better offensive players than you- then you shouldn't be taking many shots. Often when Chip first goes out there- he's with the second squad and he's kind of a go to guy on that squad.

+1
I think that has a whole lot to do with it. During the St. Peters game at one point the commentators were saying that Chip was probably the go to scorer out of the players on the court at the time. If he was playing with the first team offense in say Austin's place, he might be the number 5 scorer behind Julian, Andre, Ralph, and Rodney (in that order in my opinion).

Somebody has to contain Ziegler (go for it Austin) as he can light it up and isn't afraid to shoot. Also we need to hit the boards hard as they have 3 or 4 guys who will.

Pressure the ball, get some TO's and run, Gophers, run.

What does it mean other than he shoots a lot when he's in the game? That's for you to decide. All I illustrated is that Armelin shoots a lot and most players in the Big Ten who shoot as much as he does are big time scorers. That's it.

The next step is for you to decide what that means - some may feel this means he needs more time because he can score for this Minnesota team that lacks aggressive scorers (i.e., "wow, he really gets going on offense"). You read something that wasn't there, I assure you, as this was meant to be a 'quick bullet' that some might find interesting, not an analysis (see the Andre Hollins: Setting expectations article for an analysis piece) or an argument. .

I didn't read the review (sorry), but I have no problem with the assertion that Chip shoots a lot. He does. Period. The stats say he shoots a lot and my eyes say he shoots a lot. I cringe when he fires up the fadeaway 3-pointer. About one in five times it actually goes in and it looks like it was a good decision. The other 4 out of 5 times, not so much.

Chip has a role on this team, no doubt about it. He and Tubby will figure out just what it is eventually. The fact that Chip is an absolutely gawdawful free throw shooter bothers me a lot more than how often he pulls the trigger. The guy has shot 18 FT's and made SEVEN. Under 40%? Are you f'n kidding me?

Other than that, I love his energy and I love that he tries to take the ball to the basket. He's fun to watch and he's young enough that he could develop into a nice complementary player over the next couple years.

Wow. We have some mighty sensitive, thin skinned folks around here. If "Jottings" are the worst thing that happens to you today it is probably a pretty good day.

I find JB's stuff informative, amusing, and some of the best input on the board.

I didn't read the review (sorry), but I have no problem with the assertion that Chip shoots a lot. He does. Period. The stats say he shoots a lot and my eyes say he shoots a lot. I cringe when he fires up the fadeaway 3-pointer. About one in five times it actually goes in and it looks like it was a good decision. The other 4 out of 5 times, not so much.

Chip has a role on this team, no doubt about it. He and Tubby will figure out just what it is eventually. The fact that Chip is an absolutely gawdawful free throw shooter bothers me a lot more than how often he pulls the trigger. The guy has shot 18 FT's and made SEVEN. Under 40%? Are you f'n kidding me?

Other than that, I love his energy and I love that he tries to take the ball to the basket. He's fun to watch and he's young enough that he could develop into a nice complementary player over the next couple years.

I think that Tubby and Chip may have already done that, based on the last two games. Just one 3 Pt. attempt and over 50% FG%. He is best when he keeps moving and the guys look for him. He is effective around the basket. Plus he is 3/5 from the line which is encouraging.

The bottom line is this team needs a player like Chip if we are to get to the NCAA's. if he continues to make progress of playing within himself, then he will be a good contributor to this squad.

Lets see how he does tonight.

I think that Tubby and Chip may have already done that, based on the last two games. Just one 3 Pt. attempt and over 50% FG%. He is best when he keeps moving and the guys look for him. He is effective around the basket. Plus he is 3/5 from the line which is encouraging.

The bottom line is this team needs a player like Chip if we are to get to the NCAA's. if he continues to make progress of playing within himself, then he will be a good contributor to this squad.

Lets see how he does tonight.

+1. I agree that Chip and Tubby appear to have found their peace. Efficient offensive game by Chip tonight with a couple of defensive lapses.

Top Bottom