Huge bench clearing brawl in Cincy/Xavier game, game called early

I pretty much have no tolerance for that type of behavior, but if I was either of those coaches, the players' a**** would riding pine for the foreseeable future.

No Cincinnati/Xavier game for the next two years. These idiots can't behave than they shouldn't be playing a yearly basketball game.

I pretty much have no tolerance for that type of behavior, but if I was either of those coaches, the players' a**** would riding pine for the foreseeable future.
You mean the entire team? Lol

You mean the entire team? Lol

Not every player threw punches. The guy who punched and the guy who kicked the Xavier player should be suspended for the entire year (or even kicked off the team) if I were the coach. I'd play with a bunch of walk-ons if I had to. No excuse for it. If they were my teammates, I couldn't respect them for throwing cheap shots like that. For some reason some people think that makes them tough. Anyone can throw cheap shots.

It looked like Holloway was talking trash at the end when this all started. I'll never understand why beating the crap out of the other team (not literally) isn't enough. Doing that just makes you look bad when you just played a great game. It still doesn't excuse how Cincy reacted, but both teams are definitely at fault.

Not every player threw punches. The guy who punched and the guy who kicked the Xavier player should be suspended for the entire year (or even kicked off the team) if I were the coach. I'd play with a bunch of walk-ons if I had to. No excuse for it. If they were my teammates, I couldn't respect them for throwing cheap shots like that. For some reason some people think that makes them tough. Anyone can throw cheap shots.

It looked like Holloway was talking trash at the end when this all started. I'll never understand why beating the crap out of the other team (not literally) isn't enough. Doing that just makes you look bad when you just played a great game. It still doesn't excuse how Cincy reacted, but both teams are definitely at fault.
I'm gonna guess Holloway was talking trash because a Cincy player said that Holloway wouldn't even start on their team.

And why did the coaches let the players talk at the press conference? There was no need to make them available after the game. All they did was throw fuel on the fire.

And why did the coaches let the players talk at the press conference? There was no need to make them available after the game. All they did was throw fuel on the fire.

I didn't know they did, but after that situation I would think that would be the last thing you would want. A little longer cooling off period might be in order.

I didn't know they did, but after that situation I would think that would be the last thing you would want. A little longer cooling off period might be in order.
I think he was referring to what I said, which happened before the game, not after.

Cinci didn't have players available. X did, and Tu Hollaway said something along the lines of ejections are what the fans pay for and they want blood, and X is full of real gangstas. Classy gentleman.

Cinci didn't have players available. X did, and Tu Hollaway said something along the lines of ejections are what the fans pay for and they want blood, and X is full of real gangstas. Classy gentleman.

OMG. Hockey anyone?

Exactly. Xavier coach should not have let any of the players speak at the press conference. Then they go and say things like we have gangstas in the locker room. Embarrassing. Tons of trash talking....the coach had no control.

My guess is the gates guy (I think that is his name) will be suspended for season or thrown off team. Should be many suspensions for both sides.

They did it for God... it's how the Jesuits roll.
Nah the Jesuits would rather die. Look up the North American Martyrs. Priest at teh school I went to wouldn't shut up about them. Pretty gruesome tales. Now if they were Crusaders, that would be a whole 'nother story.

I'm gonna guess Holloway was talking trash because a Cincy player said that Holloway wouldn't even start on their team.

And the best way to respond to that is to beat them by 20, which they did. No need to say anything.

I have a few thoughts about this game that gave the sport we all love a terrible black eye

1. If I was Mick Cronin, Gates along with the guy who stomped on Freze are done for the year. If they aren't seniors they might be able to regain the possible of wear a Cincy jersey next year. And that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to suspensions, Holloway and Lyons are sitting for at least a month, and possibly more. Hell, if I was either coach I might suspend my entire team for a game or two and go find 5 guys that can ball at the rec center this week.

2. The fact that Chris Mack, the Xavier SID, or the AD didn't stop players from walking on stage for the press conference is completely inexcusable. There is no good reason to put players in a position like that. These are boys(I use that term purposely) who clearly showed on the court today that they lack the emotional maturity to handle this rivalry. While the X players need to be ripped for there comments, the people that allowed them to be in that position need to be ripped as well.

3. The ref's shouldn't get off blame free in this as well, they allowed the game to spiral out of control with unneeded trash talk. If they would have set an example early by T'ing up a few players,this most likely wouldn't have happened. This doesn't excuse the players actions but this game needs to be used as a case study on how to not to ref rivalry games.

4. If I was Chris Mack or Mick Cronin I would be in some weird way proud of my team in the sense that, I know they have each other's back and will protect each other. With that said there is a huge, massive, thick line between having your buddy's back and being a punk. Both teams crossed that line and acted like punks, well before the first punch was thrown. The Cincy player jawing at Lyons at half, punk move. Holloway talking all game, punk move.

5. Trash talk is part of the game, and on some levels adds to game, Jordan telling Malone "the Mailman doesn't deliver on Sunday's" classic. Trash talk when used to get into the minds of opponents is great but neither side were talking trash to get into the other side mind, they were simply trying to look hard, act like a gangsta, and trying to gain street cred, but instead they came off as punks with no respect of anybody.

6. If anyone came off looking "good" in the it was Mick Cronin, he said all the right things during the press conference and should be commended for that. Although I would have taken his forcing all players to take there jersey's off one step further and banned them from wearing all official team issued gear. Shirts, sweats, jerseys, shorts, socks, everything. Wearing that logo is a privilege, not a right, and the players lost that privilege. The players might be able to earn that privilege again but it's going to take a ton of hard work and evidence that the players have changed their attitudes.

http://www.local12.com/News/Local/s...rosstown-Shootout/e0zUYjeCM0Ov39zDU8qjjQ.cspx

I saw this video of the two coaches doing the remade Christmas story and thought it was a nice thing before a nice friendly rivalry- apparently not so friendly.

Mick Cronin comes off pretty good afterwards for saying the right things and saying them forcefully, but he also recruited those kids and didn't have enough control of his team. The kid from off the bench doing all the yapping at half-time shows the lack of discipline and control they had.
But the more you watch and listen, the more the Xavier players are pretty bad winners. You would think having a 20 point lead would be enough. Just shut up and win.

Yancy Gates is a punk-a**-b****. He sucker punched a guy that was engaging with someone else. That goes against every 'code' out there. What a pansy.

From ESPN:

"Yancy Gates, Octavius Ellis and Cheikh Mbodj will be suspended six games each, the school said in a news release. Ge'Lawn Guyn will be banned for one game."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-suspend-four-players-brawl-xavier-musketeers

Go Gophers!!

Gates and Mbodj got off easy. They are lucky to only get 6 games. After Cronin's press conference last night I figured he would have really cracked down on these guys. I hope Xavier comes though with a harsher punishment for their players.

LOL! Good work moderators. All I did was compare this XU/UC incident to the end of the Gopher hockey game last night (in a civilized manner) and you deleted the posts. Just pointing out the double standard between college hockey and college basketball. Not condoning or supporting either side, just a creating a talking point. Meanwhile you continue to allow profanity and unecessary name calling. Good work :(

Oh, Art. Come up from the basement and join your mother in the kitchen for some cookies and milk. She will help settle you down.

LOL! Good work moderators. All I did was compare this XU/UC incident to the end of the Gopher hockey game last night (in a civilized manner) and you deleted the posts. Just pointing out the double standard between college hockey and college basketball. Not condoning or supporting either side, just a creating a talking point. Meanwhile you continue to allow profanity and unecessary name calling. Good work :(

They don't allow tackling in gymnastics, maybe they should. Why the double standard?

Top Bottom