Myron's Big Ten power rankings through first month of the season

3. Michigan: Darius Morris went pro and some (see: me) assumed a collapse would ensue. But Trey Burke has filled that gap in his first season, although you have to worry about his turnovers. Tim Hardaway Jr. is a star. You don't have to worry about him. The Wolverines have a win over Michigan in Maui and for now that's enough to rank them ahead of Wisconsin, which really hasn't beaten anyone outside of BYU.

Damn it. Missed that Wolverines vs. Michigan game. PS - Burke has actually done very well limited turnovers thus far... I think his turnover rate will actually increase from where it is now. If it stays where it is, that's very impressive for a freshman.

Well, a Michigan win over Michigan in Maui also means that Michigan has a loss to Michigan in Maui. :confused:

At least I now understand what Coaches mean when they say..."We beat ourselves tonight."

I haven't been impressed with Illinois. I would definitely have Michigan and probably Wisconsin ahead of them.

Most of the Big Ten should still be considered a big question mark. Indiana has beat up some very bad teams. I guess we find out a lot about them tomorrow.

Michigan is benefiting from being ranked at the beginning of the season and no bad losses. Sure they beat Memphis, but Memphis isn't exactly a world beater, and how will they survive without Luke Walton???

Illinois beat Gonzage but couldn't score 50 on St. Bonny. Crimeny.

Northwestern got destroyed at home against the only good team they have played.

Purdue struggled against Ionona, Western Carolina and High Point and hasn't pulled any unexpected wins.

Michigan State has two losses to two good teams, and a bunch of wins over nobodies (Sorry FSU).

Wisconsin loses to the good, bets up on the awful.

Nebraska, Iowa, and Penn State are ghastly.

2-9 in the B1G seems wide open. 1, and 10-12 seem set.

Most of the Big Ten should still be considered a big question mark. Indiana has beat up some very bad teams. I guess we find out a lot about them tomorrow.

Michigan is benefiting from being ranked at the beginning of the season and no bad losses. Sure they beat Memphis, but Memphis isn't exactly a world beater, and how will they survive without Luke Walton???

Purdue struggled against Ionona, Western Carolina and High Point and hasn't pulled any unexpected wins.

Michigan State has two losses to two good teams, and a bunch of wins over nobodies (Sorry FSU).

Purdue struggles vs. Western Carolina and High Point are definitely a concern but if you follow college basketball outside of the Big Ten you would know that Iona is a very sold basketball team that will be a very tough out in the NCAA Tournament. They have a couple tranfers from major D-I programs including Momo Jones who was the starting PG for Arizona last year and was a big part of their tournament run with D-Will. They will be a top 50-75 RPI squad by season's end.

I know Iona is good, but not scoring 88 some points on a typical Purdue defense good.

Interesting to note, as far as scheduling for the Gophers. According to Myron's list;

The Gophers face the 4 teams BELOW them a total of 7 times (with PSU the only team they play just once)

They play OSU, Michigan, and Purdue just once each.

Nice little scheduling break, or so it seems at this early point in the season.

I feel like IU is a little disrespected here - they've played pretty well and Zeller is showing himself to be worthy of the hype. We'll learn some things from their game vs. Kentucky coming up...

I agree with some of you that Illinois at #2 seems a bit overrated.

Very well said

I agree with most of you on this post that Illinois seems too high.. but to be honest this list is completely worthless. We all agree that OSU should be given their crown now, and that all B1G teams should bow down and their respective games vs OSU should be replaced with ceremonies where OSU's opponents fawn over Sullinger, Craft, Buford and the gang.

However, after the basketball royalty there is a gap that needs to be filled, and anyone spending time trying to fill it right now is wasting their time. I think that this league is going to be incredibly strong this year and #2 Illinois could very well end up in the bottom half of the league. Likewise, Northwestern could very well end up in the top half of the conference. Parity is key this year, and the highest energy teams, the best coached teams, the teams that want it the most will prevail.. don't count the Gophers out of the race for the top 3-6 teams in the conference.. but like stated above they could finish 7-10 just like many others.

Am I the only one that hates this pre-conference play ranking/bracketology nonsense?

Go Gophers!

GopherHoopsFan

I agree with most of you on this post that Illinois seems too high.. but to be honest this list is completely worthless. We all agree that OSU should be given their crown now, and that all B1G teams should bow down and their respective games vs OSU should be replaced with ceremonies where OSU's opponents fawn over Sullinger, Craft, Buford and the gang.

However, after the basketball royalty there is a gap that needs to be filled, and anyone spending time trying to fill it right now is wasting their time.

Go Gophers!

GopherHoopsFan

LOL. Good post.

I would have Michigan #2 at this point. I'm not sure who is likely to finish #3, but I think Indiana, MSU, Wisconsin, Purdue and Illinois are all reasonable guesses for #3 at this point.

I am not gonna predict a damned thing. Let the games begin, and let the games determine what will be.

I'm gonna go all FOT.....Tubby is now 58-14 in non Big Ten regular season games with the win today against St. Peter. (If my math is correct)

Top Bottom