Game Preview: vs. St. Peter's 12/10/11 & J.B.'s Jottings

Good summary; thanks. Too much hating on Chip, though. Can't remember the last Gopher player with so many posters in the love or hate camp, with no middle ground.

Nice write up. However, Not quite what to make of the 100 point scorer analysis. Trevor was well on his way.. so when your number 1 scorer goes down, that kind of affects that stat. Also, once Trevor went down both RW and JW are on a run rate for that clip using their per game averages since Trevors injury. So its kind of a misleading point..

I've always liked the aggressive guys on the Gophers who try to create shots. Favorite Gopher moment along those lines is when Newbern hoisted a 25 foot 3 pointer against Kansas State in the NCAA tournament with less than 5 minutes remaining that when in.. Earlier in my memory, but I believe that Tommy Davis used to take similarly difficult shots (pre- 3 point line) and regularly make them. Marc Wilson used to use that non-smooth (for him) teardrop shot in the lane that frequently went in (and what I tried to emulate in my teenage pick up games!!)

I'm just so happy we are fortunate enough to be able to watch this game against an inferior opponent on a computer. And we only have to pay an extra nominal fee.

Good summary; thanks. Too much hating on Chip, though. Can't remember the last Gopher player with so many posters in the love or hate camp, with no middle ground.

Westbrook?

Marc Wilson used to use that non-smooth (for him) teardrop shot in the lane that frequently went in (and what I tried to emulate in my teenage pick up games!!)[/QUOTE]

Funny. I tried to emulate Roland Brooks and his jumper. Not a good idea.

@jamalo - love hearing those names. I resented not being named Marc (with a c) because of Marc Wilson. Was also a huge fan of Newbern. I "decided" to attend Marquette the night Wilson and the Gophers scored 100 and beat the Warriors... I was in second grade or so. Still have vivid images of that night in my mind.

Oh man.. just remembered this as well.. I chose Mark as my Confirmation name because of Marc Wilson. Wow, that seems ridiculous now. Didn't wear Wilson's number much, though.. moved to 11 in all sports because of Tim Teufel.

Anyway, back to the topic - @Rouser - yes, several reasons for not yet having 100-point scorer and I'm not suggesting it means much of anything taken by itself, it's just an odd/outlier stat. @jamalo - on Chip, your point is well taken and I agree - followers of the program are generally either very high or very low on him.. not a lot of middle ground. That said, if I objectively look at what he's done by looking at some of the various statistics I consider, he hasn't been efficient. ("objectively" assumes the statistics I consider are as appropriate as various other stats that someone else may look at... which may or may not be a fair assumption.)

I'm just so happy we are fortunate enough to be able to watch this game against an inferior opponent on a computer. And we only have to pay an extra nominal fee.

Now, now, they're not 'inferior' they're a 'lesser' opponent (as per BTN) And would you rather not have Keith Jackson's soothing voice on the Legends program? :cool02:

Now, now, they're not 'inferior' they're a 'lesser' opponent (as per BTN) And would you rather not have Keith Jackson's soothing voice on the Legends program? :cool02:

Well played, howeda7, well played.

@jamalo - love hearing those names. I resented not being named Marc (with a c) because of Marc Wilson. Was also a huge fan of Newbern. I "decided" to attend Marquette the night Wilson and the Gophers scored 100 and beat the Warriors... I was in second grade or so. Still have vivid images of that night in my mind.

Oh man.. just remembered this as well.. I chose Mark as my Confirmation name because of Marc Wilson. Wow, that seems ridiculous now. Didn't wear Wilson's number much, though.. moved to 11 in all sports because of Tim Teufel.

Anyway, back to the topic - @Rouser - yes, several reasons for not yet having 100-point scorer and I'm not suggesting it means much of anything taken by itself, it's just an odd/outlier stat. @jamalo - on Chip, your point is well taken and I agree - followers of the program are generally either very high or very low on him.. not a lot of middle ground. That said, if I objectively look at what he's done by looking at some of the various statistics I consider, he hasn't been efficient. ("objectively" assumes the statistics I consider are as appropriate as various other stats that someone else may look at... which may or may not be a fair assumption.)

Warrior- Chips stats compare pretty favorably to any guard on the roster other than Welch right now. Take a look at production per minute, assists, rebounds, steals, turnovers, etc all per time played and you will find that Chip is stacking up very well versus - for example- Austin Hollins, one of our best players. And... he is playing good defense this year. The other thing about Chip is found by just watch the game in person. The energy he brings out on the floor is undeniable. Chip has often been on the floor with the second squad which makes it tougher than when you are running with the first team.

All that said - Chip needs to improve his free throw shooting substantially and his 3 point shooting percentage.

Warrior- Chips stats compare pretty favorably to any guard on the roster other than Welch right now. Take a look at production per minute, assists, rebounds, steals, turnovers, etc all per time played and you will find that Chip is stacking up very well versus - for example- Austin Hollins, one of our best players. And... he is playing good defense this year. The other thing about Chip is found by just watch the game in person. The energy he brings out on the floor is undeniable. Chip has often been on the floor with the second squad which makes it tougher than when you are running with the first team.

All that said - Chip needs to improve his free throw shooting substantially and his 3 point shooting percentage.

Some of his numbers that you could look at do look fine, but the I think our difference of opinion is largely due to you giving more weight to certain statistics and me to other statistics.

As for his 3FG% and FT%, the question is whether or not he can. One person could say it's just a bad sample size and he'll improve with time.. after all the numbers are small and one nice game could make things look quite a bit different for the season... another person could say his shooting is not good and is not going to improve measurable this year or ever... if you could pick any of the following 9 players to get an open three-point look in a game, where out of the 9 would you pick Armelin? -- Dre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Welch, Ahanmisi, Osenieks, Armelin, Rodney Williams, Ralph Sampson, Walker.

Woooo Nellieeeeeee

Looks like I confused inferior and lesser.

Kind of like legends and leaders

BRING BACK DUTCH!

Marc Wilson used to use that non-smooth (for him) teardrop shot in the lane that frequently went in (and what I tried to emulate in my teenage pick up games!!)[/QUOTE]

Funny. I tried to emulate Roland Brooks and his jumper. Not a good idea.

Word! Roland Brooks was a tremendous dunker! My second favorite Gopher on the post-Breuer team behind Tommy Davis. Tommy Davis has always been one of my all time favorites. I went so far as to write to Billy McKinney to ask why they weren't giving Tommy a try-out on the expansion Wolves; he actually wrote me back. Also called into Sid's show to ask the same question!!

I don't know if there is any way to figure it out, but I have always wondered what Tucker's and Davis' stats would have looked like in the 3-point line era.

Chip is the second least efficient player on the team offensively but uses the third most possessions, takes by far the most shots on the court, and is the second worst shooter. He may bring "energy" but statistically he does far more harm than good.

I hear ya GW. I fell in love with Gopher BB with the Triple OT game in Iowa City; was watching every game on TV prior to that game. Dragged my friend from Alaska to Gopher games in the post-Madison year when I was a freshman at Auggie Tech; he became a Terence Woods fan ("Woodie", as he would cheer). So many great moments watching the Burton/Newbern team mature, Bobby Jackson turning into a stud his senior year, the great NCAA run that year.

Chip is the second least efficient player on the team offensively but uses the third most possessions, takes by far the most shots on the court, and is the second worst shooter. He may bring "energy" but statistically he does far more harm than good.

Just curious, using what measures? I agree that he needs to improve his FT% and 3P%, but he has a higher shooting percentage and more assists per minute than Austin Hollins, has a positive assist/turrnover, etc. His off the ball movement (sharpness of cuts, etc) appear to be much better this year as well, in addition to his defense (admittedly not saying much). Not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand what stats you are looking at.

Kenpom, of course.

The 2pt fg% is very close: 21/40 vs 21/44, but that 3pt % is a huge difference that kills Chip's effeciency.

Austin and Chip's assist rate (percentage of possesions on the court in which they record an assists) is within 1 percentage point.

The fact of the matter is that until he learns to shoot he should not be taking the most shots on the team.

Is the game on All Access?

I may be blind but I do not see it listed as being shown on All Access today.

I does show it through Gophersports.com but not on BTNto go. Hopefully, it will be shown.

Not that it means anything, but during the last game when the camera was showing Paul Molitor in the stands and the announcers started to talk about him and Winfield....was the guy sitting on Molitor's right Jack Morris? I didn't hear the announcers mention anything, so maybe it wasn't Jack.

I agree with bga1. I am a Chip fan as he is the best Gopher to put in to provide a spark, Mav has done that a few times but not as consistent. Chip does have some liabilities but name me one Gopher that is a complete player at this juncture.

Austin needs to get back in the flow offensively and give Rodney and Welch some help. Scoring in the 50's is not going to get many W's in the BIG.

Last three games w/o Trevor based on 40 minutes played

Chip-15Pts-4.8 boards-5 asst-3 TO-1.6 steals shooting 47% FG and CLANK on FT's.
Austin-9.6pts-4.0 boards-3 asst-1 TO-.1.5 steals shooting 29% FG and 67% FT
Andre-6.2 pts-3.1 boards-3 asst-2.5 TO-.6 steals shooting 23% FG and 100% FT

Looked like Jack

Not that it means anything, but during the last game when the camera was showing Paul Molitor in the stands and the announcers started to talk about him and Winfield....was the guy sitting on Molitor's right Jack Morris? I didn't hear the announcers mention anything, so maybe it wasn't Jack.

I assumed it was him.

Top Bottom