Kansas coach Self blasts team after win

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Our offense sucks," Self said. "We are the worst passing team I've ever seen. It's ridiculous to watch."

"That was about as miserable of a performance in the last 10 minutes of a game as I've ever seen," Self said. "You can look up and down the lineup and there is just nobody that values the ball at all. That was a game we had won several times, but our inability to think, pass, catch or execute at all in late-game situations was the reason the game was close late."

"If we handle the ball like that, (Ohio State) can pick the score," Self said. "Let's just call it like it is. They will pick the score in our own building if we handle the ball like that.

"It will be a jailbreak if we turn the ball over against Ohio State. They won't just be running out and scoring two points. They will be making plays that are ESPN top-10 plays."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41293/kansas-coach-blasts-team

Go Gophers!!

Bleed: Please be careful on these negative threads about Bill Self, or GopherLady will hate you for life. :)

When I first read the thread title, I thought it said, "Kansas coach blasts self after win."

Criticizing publicly (the norm is to do it behind closed doors) to make sure he has his players' attention?

Has the sound of a motivational ploy by Self to make sure his players are ready for OSU.

When I watched the Maui championship against Duke, Kansas could have won that game handily, but Tyshawn Tyler had 10 turnovers that game and he wasn't the only Jayhawk playing hot potato that night. Sounds like a continuing issue that they better get taken care of soon.

Criticizing publicly (the norm is to do it behind closed doors) to make sure he has his players' attention?

Has the sound of a motivational ploy by Self to make sure his players are ready for OSU.

Not saying you did this, but many people blasted Tubby for doing this same thing.

Bleed: Please be careful on these negative threads about Bill Self, or GopherLady will hate you for life. :)

My thoughts were along those lines also. Our concern here should be for GopherLady not for the Kansas players.

Understood.

I didn't blast Tubby for going after Hoffarber publicly, but (in that specific instance) I certainly expressed I didn't agree with it. ... not after Hoffarber was a good soldier (as he should have been) and moved to a position where he had little/minimal experience.

Not saying you did this, but many people blasted Tubby for doing this same thing.

It's more appropriate to blast a top notch team full of high caliber players that you are attempting to push for a championship than a fragile team that is struggling to make a mark. Different situations- require different treatment perhaps.

It's more appropriate to blast a top notch team full of high caliber players that you are attempting to push for a championship than a fragile team that is struggling to make a mark. Different situations- require different treatment perhaps.

I haven't followed Kansas this year so I don't know if Self's public criticism is justified, but Tubby's public criticism of Blake last year, considering the circumstances, was a cheap shot.

I think it absolutely is - I have become the expert on all things Self after reading his book (I'm being sarcastic) - but he is definitively a players coach. He was criticized a lot by Bruce Weber for being too easy on the kids. And good for him - he had a ton of talent on this year's team, but it needs to come together.

I haven't followed Kansas this year so I don't know if Self's public criticism is justified, but Tubby's public criticism of Blake last year, considering the circumstances, was a cheap shot.

I agree - completely different situations. Also different to single out players in public - particularly ones that are busting their asses for you playing out of position.

Thanks for looking out for me - I like this tactic by him. You can't beat up on your players all year, but if it's a wake up call that they need, this will hopefully motivate them. I do appreciate your concern. I would choose Bill Self over Bleed....just kidding! :)

We all know (in hindsight at the very least) it was a misguided choice by Tubby to call out Blake like that, he even said so himself. And as has been mentioned, two different scenarios where one player is being called out, versus a team-wide effort to hand the ball to the other team being called out.

Kansas is not valuing the basketball, kinda sounds like us really. I think having a lot of newer faces on the floor breeds that though.

Thanks for looking out for me - I like this tactic by him. You can't beat up on your players all year, but if it's a wake up call that they need, this will hopefully motivate them. I do appreciate your concern. I would choose Bill Self over Bleed....just kidding! :)

You are very welcome, GopherLady. After all, your #1 stalker is required to protect his main interest!!! :)

We all know (in hindsight at the very least) it was a misguided choice by Tubby to call out Blake like that, he even said so himself. And as has been mentioned, two different scenarios where one player is being called out, versus a team-wide effort to hand the ball to the other team being called out.

Not in hindsight for this girl. I recall speaking publicly about how much I disagreed with that on KFAN a number of times.

Top Bottom