ASU Post Game Thoughts

Gold Vision

Reaction score
1. Rodney Williams took that game over with that fadeaway and three pointer. Two clutch shots to go with his stellar game in the paint. 36 minutes for the new team MVP.

2. Get well Andre Hollins. We need a third shooter on the court to stretch the defense.

3. That was a mix of terrible perimeter D and a couple of hot shooters. There will be a lot of games this year that we will have to grind out like this.

4. Decent game from Welch. He still needs to cut down on his TO's, especially in transition.

5. Great defensive and transition spark from the Mav, Chip, and Joe lineup. I wish they could mix in Oto with that lineup to get a spot up shooter in there.

6. This is a game to forget for the Center position. EE looked rattled against manboobs. Ralph got tossed around and hung out around the perimeter. Mo or Colt would have been a good matchup today for Butts.

It's nice to see them close out games with conviction.

Idk if I'd say the perimeter D was terrible. A few of those threes they made tehre was a guy right there, just Millum making toughs shots on a few of them.

Great young talent. Sampson looked solid. Who will shoot and defend the perimeter?

zambam said:
Idk if I'd say the perimeter D was terrible. A few of those threes they made tehre was a guy right there, just Millum making toughs shots on a few of them.

That's what I was trying to say, he hit one from 5' past the arc too. There were some wide open looks though also.

Was nice to see Joe get some quality minutes. Don't really know how much he'll officially be able to help us this year, but always a positive to get his confidence up.

Nice win for the lads. App State is no slouch of a squad. They are a plucky bunch that pulled off that huge upset at Michigan a few years ago.....

I was concerned about this game.

My thoughts.
-Great to see a lot of movement without the ball and back door cuts.
-This team must dribble penetrate to the hoop.
-Run Gophers, run!!
-How many times do we have to see good ball movement for 5 or 6 passes and then somehold onto the ball 25 feet from the hoop. Keep the darn rock moving!
-As expected EE was no match for Mr. Bigg's. He needs to get stronger and looked clumsy.
-It seems as if it takes one of the guys off the bench jump start the team. Tonight it was Mav who had a very nice game. I really enjoy Chip but I wish I could shoot his FT's for him.
-I thought Tubby would throw the press at these guys. I wish he would open up the game more and let the guys utilize their quickness and skills.

It was a trap game. The Gophers did not fall all the way into it.

Did Tubby comment after the game on Dre Hollins injury?

My question is can this team grind out wins against middle of the pack Big Ten teams, even at home? This is like the 3rd or 4th home game that has been much more of a grind than expected.

In addition to the centers really struggling, I thought Julian Welch looked flat out slow at times tonight. I am hoping this was just a little issue with that ankle, because I would be concerenced about him going against Big 10 guards right now.

It's not news, but it still baffles me that we've added 6 guys who are primarily G's or SF's in the past two years yet none of them is a knock down perimeter shooter. You could also argue that none of them is a pure PG, though Welch has his moments.

Outside of Rodney, I don't feel like anyone else really stood out tonight. It's good to get the win and move on to the next one.

My question is can this team grind out wins against middle of the pack Big Ten teams, even at home? This is like the 3rd or 4th home game that has been much more of a grind than expected.

In addition to the centers really struggling, I thought Julian Welch looked flat out slow at times tonight. I am hoping this was just a little issue with that ankle, because I would be concerenced about him going against Big 10 guards right now.

It's not news, but it still baffles me that we've added 6 guys who are primarily G's or SF's in the past two years yet none of them is a knock down perimeter shooter. You could also argue that none of them is a pure PG, though Welch has his moments.

Outside of Rodney, I don't feel like anyone else really stood out tonight. It's good to get the win and move on to the next one.
Coleman?

EG#9 said:

They only took 6 shots from 3 tonight. They have gotten so many easy looks in the paint these nonconference games. Dre Hollins is shooting .450 from behind the arc, Welch at .389. I think they will be taking more perimeter shots in conference. Right now I'll take the easy buckets all day long.

Welch has great hands on defense, I think that makes up for a lot of his all of quickness. On offense he gets to the hoop often with good body control. He needs to learn how to dish though. Especially on transition.

Frustrating game for Eliason. You'd like to see at least SOME output. The Appy State center, Butts, was a force, though. Even Ralph was having a rough time with him. That dude was a beast.

In addition to the centers really struggling

Ralph had 10 pts and 5 rebounds in 19 minutes after not playing for a couple of games...that's not struggling. Welcome back Ralph.

Nice win for the lads. App State is no slouch of a squad. They are a plucky bunch that pulled off that huge upset at Michigan a few years ago.....

...on the gridiron. What do I win?

I agree with EG#9

Highly contested wins against mediocre teams does not bode well for B10 play, unfortunately. I think the loss of Mbakwe was clearly felt tonight, on the defensive glass, especially. ASU would not have been that close had TM been on the court. Sigh.

On the upside, Rodney is now beginning to show elements of a complete game. The fadeaway jumper he hit was a next-level type shot and the three he hit was pure.

We all agree that our gophers have struggled to defend the 3 the last couple of years, but it sure seems to me that a lot of games the opponents guards just get hot and everything goes in.

* Butts would look good in maroon and gold, the guy's a beast with a B1G body and game.

* EE looked so human because of Butts' physicality. He was straight up, out-muscled.

* I've been very patient with Rodney always saying I want to see marked improvement between Soph & Jr years...here it is I guess?

* Chip is a sparkplug. Yes, he's awkward with the ball still, but his windup-jumper from behind-the-ear looks much quicker & more compact. He's still a little out of control, but he's a scrapper & makes things happen.

* Mav is much better than last year. Still awkward the way he dribbles, but really made some good decisions tonight & his first step looks much better this year.

I don't see why the hate on chip on here. He is the best athlete outside of rodney, and can create his own shot (unlike rodney)

We all agree that our gophers have struggled to defend the 3 the last couple of years, but it sure seems to me that a lot of games the opponents guards just get hot and everything goes in.

I know it seems like that - but it's no coincidence. When you look at the difference between us (2nd to last in the BT) versus Wisky (1st) it looks like this:

Wisky opponents 21-90
Minn opponents 70 -183

This is an annually repeating theme (teams shoot tons of 3's against us and not against Wisky) so we are inducing the problem.

Quite simply we give more opportunities- we play to deny inside play and people take a lot of threes against us - most of them wide open. When that happens you are going to see come memorable shots fall on you that look lucky just because the number of attempts are so many. This issue has to be cured to some degree for us to compete in evenly matched games in the Big Ten. Offering up this kind of scoring advantage in the most important area of the modern game will not work well against good teams.

I don't see why the hate on chip on here. He is the best athlete outside of rodney, and can create his own shot (unlike rodney)

No one in this thread was hating on Chip.

Let's not forget that Butts is a wide-bodied Senior and EE is only a freshman that should be playing behind Sampson. It sounds like some of you were expecting him to have a double-double tonight. It was a nice humbling game for him so now he knows and everyone else knows that he still needs to work hard.

ASU

Asu averages about 7 made 3's a game and shoots 33% they are not a great shooting team overall.

Maverick made the best point guard plays and hustle plays for that matter. Welch shot it will and had 4 turnovers and no assists.

Rodney plays better because he now catches the ball at 12-15 feet, either at the top of the key or the wing, instead of at 20 feet where its hard to drive from that distance without getting defensive help. Now he takes a slower man off the dribble. How will he match up with the Hummel's, D. Green's, and stronger pf will be something to watch.

When I take the center label of Ralph I am much happier with his performance. He will never be a low post player. He shoots and passes well. He is a small forward in a centers body.

I think we're going to see the Gophers grind the vast majority of their games, including in the B1G. They seem to struggle with success honestly. Every time they make a run, here comes a flurry of turnovers and bad shots. It's happened repeatedly from what I've seen.

They'll get out to a lead, and instead of pushing further, they'll turn it over to give the other team an easy bucket, or they'll lose a guy behind the arc and give up an open three. That focus needs to be there for 40 minutes and they're just not doing that well right now. I know the youth in the backcourt isn't helping that issue, but hopefully they can figure it out sooner rather than later.

I know it seems like that - but it's no coincidence. When you look at the difference between us (2nd to last in the BT) versus Wisky (1st) it looks like this:

Wisky opponents 21-90
Minn opponents 70 -183

This is an annually repeating theme (teams shoot tons of 3's against us and not against Wisky) so we are inducing the problem.

Quite simply we give more opportunities- we play to deny inside play and people take a lot of threes against us - most of them wide open. When that happens you are going to see come memorable shots fall on you that look lucky just because the number of attempts are so many. This issue has to be cured to some degree for us to compete in evenly matched games in the Big Ten. Offering up this kind of scoring advantage in the most important area of the modern game will not work well against good teams.
Where did you happen to find that info, if I may ask? I was looking up the 3 point attempts that the Gophers shoot and it is way down there compared to the rest of the teams.

Never heard a word about Andre Ingram and don't remember him in the game. Injury or matchup problems?

It was nice to see Joe Coleman make some nice contributions. That small lineup with him, Rodney, Julian, Austin and Andre/Mav is a pretty good lineup to press with. And Chip can be in that lineup also.

Never heard a word about Andre Ingram and don't remember him in the game. Injury or matchup problems?

Hip soreness and knee tendonitis. Also Oto only got 4 minutes opposite of Rodney's 36. There is still a log jam at the 4 despite losing our #1.

I'd disagree about Rodney. He has always been able to create his own shot due to freak athletecism. He's never been able to consistently make those kind of shots. Or maybe more accurately, hasn't ever hit one I can remember before last night. But my memory is fading...

Top Bottom