"official" recruiting thread

btowngopher

Reaction score
I figured I might as well try to get one thread going on recruiting to make things a little easier for all the members interested in following things.

Daryl Robinson mentioned in his interview that Brewster would like to bring in 5 DBs. So now with 2 on board who is are the next 3? I'm hoping for Carter, Leon, and Watkins (hopefully that means we get Gainer then). I know that means only one more corner, but I think Royston may end up at corner and robinson is a corner, lewis might end up a cb too. Dakotah Tyler hasn't gotten much mention on here, but he visited last week too. He played both db and rb in h.s. and looks like an athletic guy.

Tyler

In Tyler's interview it sounded like they were looking at him as a running back. I recall him referencing the great backs the Gophers have had and that it perks his interest.

5 DB's does sound like a lot. I'm curious if there is a safety/CB breakdown or if there is a certain number of HS vs. Juco players they are looking for.

i think that follows Brews philosophy of recruiting speed. He expects some guys to grow and bulk probably making them better Safety's and LB's. A guy comes in at 5-10 180 and grows two inches ads 30 pounds of muscle you've got yourself a pretty fast Strong Safety or WLB. I bet he evaluates them on frame as well as other measurables just for that reason.

I figured I might as well try to get one thread going on recruiting to make things a little easier for all the members interested in following things.

Daryl Robinson mentioned in his interview that Brewster would like to bring in 5 DBs. So now with 2 on board who is are the next 3? I'm hoping for Carter, Leon, and Watkins (hopefully that means we get Gainer then). I know that means only one more corner, but I think Royston may end up at corner and robinson is a corner, lewis might end up a cb too. Dakotah Tyler hasn't gotten much mention on here, but he visited last week too. He played both db and rb in h.s. and looks like an athletic guy.

Speaking of Gainer, according to Rivals he has recently moved Minnesota to the top of his list so far!

Taikwon Paige is one DB that I'm counting on being on our roster next year.

Indiana?

Speaking of Gainer, according to Rivals he has recently moved Minnesota to the top of his list so far!

Taikwon Paige is one DB that I'm counting on being on our roster next year.

Has Gainer actually decommitted from Indiana? I would think they have to be on the top of the list until we actually see a decommittment.

Has Gainer actually decommitted from Indiana? I would think they have to be on the top of the list until we actually see a decommittment.

No, he's still keeping Indiana as a soft verbal. Don't know why though.

Edit - Just like with McNeal and Stephens, once they start looking around again it isn't a good sign for that school that gets downgraded to a soft verbal.

I think Gainer is not going to make his final decision until after his official visit to Indiana.

Will the Junior College transfers (Carpenter and Robinson) be enrolling in January and participating in spring football?

Seems like its down to Indiana and the Gophers for Gainer...therefore, it would seem likely that Watkins is in the same boat.

Paige I think will be a Gopher.

Carter, McNeal, Lewan still up in the air. Would really like Leon to come on board. Bryant Allen doesn't look too bad either.

Are we still looking for another running back to go with Lipscomb? I haven't heard anything in awhile.

For what position, if any, were our "athletes" recruited? Namely, Kendall Gregory-McGhee and Nick Rengel. ESPN's recruting page has Gregory-McGhee listed as a TE, but mentions his as a TE-WR "tweener". His size could certainly cause a lot of mismatches for opposing DBs.

As for Rengel, ESPN mentions him to be most likely a TE or H-back type of player.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight on what the plans are for these two guys. Both seem quite intruiging due to their size and versatility.

Seems like its down to Indiana and the Gophers for Gainer...therefore, it would seem likely that Watkins is in the same boat.

Paige I think will be a Gopher.

Carter, McNeal, Lewan still up in the air. Would really like Leon to come on board. Bryant Allen doesn't look too bad either.

Are we still looking for another running back to go with Lipscomb? I haven't heard anything in awhile.

Dakotah Tyler visited during the Iowa weekend, and he is being looked at as a rb I think. I think most fans want another rb in this class, but I don't really think it is a neccesity. Whaley, Bennett, Eskridge, Salamon, Lipscomb, if none of these guys can fill the role next year then I don't think a late rb pick up, who likely wouldn't be on the talent level Brewster is wanting, would be able to be the answer for next year. Plus we won't be hurting for depth for a while as all the RBs are young.

For what position, if any, were our "athletes" recruited? Namely, Kendall Gregory-McGhee and Nick Rengel. ESPN's recruting page has Gregory-McGhee listed as a TE, but mentions his as a TE-WR "tweener". His size could certainly cause a lot of mismatches for opposing DBs.

As for Rengel, ESPN mentions him to be most likely a TE or H-back type of player.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight on what the plans are for these two guys. Both seem quite intruiging due to their size and versatility.

I expect Gregory-McGhee to either be a LB or TE depending upon how much weight he adds. His speed is a little slow for a WR but good for a TE if he can bulk up (think Ben Utecht). Otherwise, if he doesn't add enough bulk he can play OLB. His dad was an all-conference LB for Colorado. The other potential is DE as a speed rusher but he would have to bulk up a lot. Expect him to be redshirted this next year.

Rengel will likely be a DE and he will need a redshirt year to add some weight.

KGM most likely ends up on the defensive side of the ball at DE, he is still growing and has put on 20 lbs in the past 8 months.
Who knows about Rengel, a few who have seen him play this year have been less than impressed. Most guesses are TE, DE or FB. IMO he doesn't have the nasty streak for DE or FB and will end up at TE as a similar player to Tow-Arnett.

Talking about recruiting and the need for dominant OL - What has happened to Rozelle Gayden. He isn't as big as Seantrel for 2010, but if I remember he was 6'7", very strong, and pretty raw in terms of football experience. He went off to JC (?in California). What has been his progress as a player? Are we still interested in him. I guess he has to finish his two year degree if he was a non-qualifier, but will he be a target for next year?

Does anybody know when Gainer will be making his official IU visit?

Well now with Anthony Lewis going to ASU and Tahj Jones looks like he will be an SEC guy I think Gainer is our only target. I think Leon could end up playing LB if he came here.

Talking about recruiting and the need for dominant OL - What has happened to Rozelle Gayden. He isn't as big as Seantrel for 2010, but if I remember he was 6'7", very strong, and pretty raw in terms of football experience. He went off to JC (?in California). What has been his progress as a player? Are we still interested in him. I guess he has to finish his two year degree if he was a non-qualifier, but will he be a target for next year?

Gayden played at the College of the Sequoias in California this past season. His brother went there as well.

And Clint Brewster transferred there last off-season.

I looked at the class ranking for 2006- the current 2009 projections and here are how the Conferences are doing.

SEC has 28 top 20 classes in the last four years. Currently 3 top 20 BCS teams.
ACC has 16. Currently 2 BCS top 20 teams.
Big 10 has 13. Curently 2 BCS top 20 teams.
Big 12 has 9. Currently 5 BCS top 20 teams.
PAC 10 has 7. Currently 2 BCS top 20 teams.

Looks like rankings don't mean much.

I looked at the class ranking for 2006- the current 2009 projections and here are how the Conferences are doing.

I don't how these stats show anything. Conference teams beat up on each other. Every team in the conference could have top 20 classes the past 4 years and most of the teams wouldn't end up in the top 20. Make a list of the top teams and their recruiting class rankings the past 4 years and it should be fairly clear.

does anyone know anything about hopkin's terrell sinkfield? he plays RB for hopkins and i have never heard anything about him until i read a story on minnesotascout.com. he said that he clocked a 4.33 at the minnesota camp. he is 6-1 180 pounds which pretty much precludes him from RB, but he said that he would be willing to play anywhere he is needed. he also said that he is trying to put on weight right now, which makes me think he is looking at defense. it seems like a guy with 4.33 speed would be a great addition at safety.

the link is to an Insider story so i cant link it, but here is his player page:

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=3994443

I'm not sure how the current 2009 projections for recruiting classes would reflect on a team's current BCS ranking. It isn't like those players have even signed a letter of intent much less gotten on campus. The 2008 class isn't going to be making much of an impact either.

The 2005 classes are true seniors this year and 2004 classes are redshirt seniors so those two classes would seem to matter a whole lot more than the 2009 class that isn't on campus.

Gainer/Watkins

Pretty sure Gainer and Watkins will be at IU Dec 6

Gainer & Watkins will be at Indiana this weekend and they are both hoping to make their decision next week. It sounds like it is down to Minnesota & Indiana.

Anyone know the latest news on Randall Dent or Roy Philon?

Thought I'd throw these in here for recruiting buffs. Highlights for a couple of kids I coached at Hopkins:

RB Terrell Sinkfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jJTQIJAs0
WR Marcus Williams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9blH6GUIZHI

Both are getting low D1 offers (UND, NDSU) and Terrell is close to an offer from Northern Illinois (Coach Hammock apparently put them on to him). I'm surprised they're not getting more looks, but then again, I don't know much about the big-time recruiting game! Anyway, enjoy...I know all us recruiting freaks enjoy highlights :)

DB Update

Demontre Hurst, Kerry Lewis' teammate that cancelled his visit for the Iowa game, sounds unlikely to make an official visit to Minnesota. He has an offer from Miami and other high profile programs which are relatively new. I don't think he had those a few weeks ago when he was planning to come to Minnesota. It sounds like our time is better spent hoping for Carter and Watkins and one other DB to meet Brew's goal of 5 DBs.

5 DB,s seem a bit much for this class, don't you think? I'd say 4 should be enough.

It's not my number, it's from the staff

5 DB,s seem a bit much for this class, don't you think? I'd say 4 should be enough.

In Daryl Robinson's GH interview he said that the coaches told him that we were targeting 5 DB's for this class. Next season we will have 3 seniors starting in the defensive backfield so there will be holes. If we bring in 2 Juco's (which now seems likely considering we have one committed & Brewster is meeting with Paige's parents in SC & then Paige in Georgia) it should give the current freshman & the HS recruits plenty of time to learn before we have to count on them. If they're better than the Juco's/Theret/Royston/Collado they will find their way on to the field.

Already committed:
Daryl Robinson CB - Juco
Kerry Lewis DB

Targets being pursued most aggressively:
Kenneth Watkins S
Taikwon Paige CB - Juco
Michael Carter CB

Other potential:
Turmour Battle
Please add more...

Leon is projected as being moved to LB (like Lawrence) so he wouldn't fit in to this group.

Top Bottom