Changes Needed at Williams Arena Gameday...

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but there has to be some changes during home games. Am I the only one that feels uncomfortable with the public address announcer, especially when he's asking everyone to make some noise and to get on their feet? It sounds so forced and happens at the weirdest times during the games. I'm sure he's been doing this for a while, but he does nothing for atmosphere. Bring the guy over from Mariucci.

We also need some help with the rouser. Its rediculous how the student section is about a half way through spelling MINNESOTA before the rest of the place gets passed the M. Put the letters on the video board or have the cheerleaders hold up the letters so we all can be on the same page.

And I think the band needs to play more. All stoppages should be followed by the band.

One more thing...who's finding these National Anthem singers? Painful, painful, painful.

We also need some help with the rouser. Its rediculous how the student section is about a half way through spelling MINNESOTA before the rest of the place gets passed the M. Put the letters on the video board or have the cheerleaders hold up the letters so we all can be on the same page.

For some reason, the student section likes to accelerate the chant of M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A and (IIRC) started doing this last season. Watch the band and you'll see what the cadence should be. Generally the rest of the arena is on tempo with the band.

As to the relative strengths of Jami Verbrugge (hockey) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]versus Dick Jonckowski (basketball), I think it's a draw. I'm not sure if the sponsored "let's make some noise" announcement is your issue or not ... but that one will always sound forced because it's scripted to happen (always at the same time) because the U gets revenue for it. I'd prefer that it be an "open" occurrence and more spontaneous too ... and I suspect Jonckowski would as well.

My objection...

...with Mr. J. is his delight is saying some of our players names more than others, lending a biased sound to his announcing. It was pretty bad at the beginning of the year, but I didn't notice it last night. Maybe someone talked to him

The only time he says people need to make noise is when they are throwing crap into the stands, and we are Minnesotans after all, we get excited about free stuff. Dick Jankowski is a legend and should be treated as such.

Correction.....

from an old itmer.

Jules Perlt is the legend. Jonkowski is just filling his chair.

I'll second that!

from an old itmer.

Jonkowski is a very good run-of-the-mill announcer. Perlt was at a whole different level.

"Jonkowski is a very good run-of-the-mill announcer. Perlt was at a whole different level.">>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kind of like Ray Christianson vs. the rest.

When did Jonkowski attain "legend" status?

The guy is about as much a Gopher basketball legend as John Shasky. Hardly.

from an old itmer.

Anybody have any old links to Perlt on audio? It's been so long, it'd be fun to hear his voice again. Some old Ray Christiansen basketball games would be great, as well.

Julie P and Ray C......sadly Williams Arena

is a shadow of its former self. My son was there yesterday and he said the place was a morgue with a bunch of canned stuff. Oh! for the thrilling days of yesteryear when it was just the fans/students and the pep band and you could fire all the F-off salvo's you wanted when the visitors took the floor. The Monson era took the air out of The Barn. Hopefully, Tubby will change that.

Top Bottom