I'm all for having Coach Davis, BUT

gold04

Reaction score
I think when our running game drastically improves next year we need to remember two important factors also played a role in it.

1. Experience O-line - Yes our O-line struggled but another year of experience will make a huge difference. Ted was our only linemen this year that had significant amount of experience heading into the year. These guys will be a lot better next year.

2. RB - I'm thankful for the job that Shady and Eskridge have done but you'll see a big difference when you add explosive backs like Limpscomb, Whaley and rumor has it another top running back to the mix. Plus, you add the over all skills of Bennett. Bennet might turn out to be someone like Chester Talyor. A running back who comes in on passing downs because of his ball catching abilities.

I think Davis will make a big diffence but he will have a LOT more to work with next year. It's similiar to what Roof experienced this year. Davis is a nice pick up and will improve our running game but he's certianly coming in to a much better situation next year. I think people will be suprised how much our running game will improve next year.

Maybe I'm missing something but Northwestern runs their version of the spread with players
from recruiting classes ranked below ours even in the Mason years. We did have some experience
in the O line, depending on who was injured and for how long. I think a good coach will make
a big difference. The O line players who have been bashed here and elsewhere for their size
are actually bigger than many of the O line studs in Mason's running game. Smaller should equal
quicker and we couldn't utilize that aspect either. Change was needed.

I agree. There are teams out there with good coaching and big experienced lines. I think as you said we're definitely going to improve, but we will be somewhat limited by reality.

Northwestern might have recruiting classes ranked lower than ours in years past, but they have been recruiting for their system. they have the proper type athletes in place, think about it. Also, did you mean Ned, as in Ned Tavale?

Good points Diehard Gopher (no relation), to take it a step further, is improved good enough? No! We must develop a BT dominant O line. Our D line made a huge leap with the same people. That was Hill plus Coach 'Attitude' Roof. Davis brings the same attitude to the O line. They need more than another year in S&C. They all need to be 300 pounds. They need to average 320 pounds. They need to be athletic. They need to be nasty and angry. We are on the way to getting there. Next year could show the same level of improvement as the D line, but the D is still a work in progress, but have a years head start on the O line.

I think you are correct gold04. Davis is going to have a year's worth of film on guys that Meyer did not have the luxury of having. Plus, as has been stated, the injuries to Alford, Burris, and Tow-Arnett at different times really caused a debilitating shuffle on the one unit on any team that absolutely must be cohesive tackle-to-tackle. I had the same gripe during the Mason years, as every off-season there was a shuffle of guys. You have to be two-deep in quality at every position on the offensive line and the addition of Carufel and the 3 recruits to this point (hopefully Lewan joins the party as well) should provide us with that. Some off-season shuffling may be in order, but it shouldn't be a wholesale thing.

In reality.

This offensive line will be the same next year as it was this year other than Carufel who will be able to play. I cant imagine this team starting any of the Freshman right out of high school for the same reasons we struggled this year. We will have a group next year that should be comfortable with each other, have more experience at this level, and should be another year stronger. I cant see the Gophers going into next year saying ok rookies lets go knock people around because most Freshman lineman are not ready to take on Big Ten D-lineman.

We should let the OL actually show some progress before determining who should and should not get credit. Lord knows the OL didn't show any progress from UNI to Iowa...

But if we're going to predict things, I'm thinking that we'll see the OL improve during the bowl game. And that will be mainly due to Coach Davis.

Top Bottom