MACturi's biggest mistake

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Not finding $1mm and giving it to Mase to hire a DC who could coach and recruit.

I'm happy that my coining the "MACturi" name has stuck.

If he had done that, Mason would still be coaching here- easily.

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 - 31 January 1943

Not finding $1mm and giving it to Mase to hire a DC who could coach and recruit.

1. Big article in 10/06/2011 USA Today about pay scales for Athletic Directors. Maturi makes $451,900 / year and possibly up to $170,000 / year more with bonuses.
2. One wonders why Joel did not sacrifice some of his own pay so that Glen Mason could purchase a more expensive (and presumably better) defensive coordinator. I remember reading David Lockwood’s salary was $130,000 / year under Glen.
3. I looked up Kathryn Brown after Sid Hartman’s 10/01/2011 article. She is a Miami of Ohio graduate. http://www.umorepark.umn.edu/planning/llc/governors/brown/index.htm So these two Redhawk lovers (Kathryn and Joel) apparently were the trigger men for getting rid of Glen Mason. Neither is a U of M alum. I am convinced Glen’s firing was orchestrated by NFL / Vikings / Organized Crime. They were so pissed at Glen because he outflanked and outmaneuvered the NFL / Vikings in getting a new stadium for the Gophers approved by the Minnesota Legislature and bankrolled with public funds, an objective the NFL / Vikings failed to achieve for the better part of two decades.

Mason? Give me a break. Who was going to recruit the defensive players? Certainly not that smug SOB. Every time a coach starts off bad I have to read this Mase crap.

"I'm happy that my coining the "MACturi" name has stuck."

Really? Wren coined that phrase. The only thing you coined was how to fake your own death on an internet message board.

A top-notch defensive coordinator can certainly do a hell of a good job recruiting defensive players. That is why a million dollar defensive coordinator is not classified as a hundred and thirty thousand dollar defensive coordinator. AND, million dollar defensive coordinators are SUMG $OB's who really can recruit worth a million bucks!

There you go minngg. Think about it. I think it just might have been the best thing since sliced bread!

; 0 )

His biggest mistakes are too many to explain fully. He just needs to retire and take credit for the stadium. That is a legacy he can actually brag about. His management of the revenue producing sports had been unbelievabley bad. No focus on results at all.

2. One wonders why Joel did not sacrifice some of his own pay so that Glen Mason could purchase a more expensive (and presumably better) defensive coordinator. I remember reading David Lockwood’s salary was $130,000 / year under Glen.

One wonders why the head coach that was making 1.65 million plus incentives did not sacrifice some of his own pay.

---------------------------------------------

Maturi said Brewster, who received a five-year deal worth $1 million annually, offered to take less money to increase the allotment for his staff. Instead, Maturi added additional money to his initial pool for the assistants so Brewster could court veteran coordinators.

Maturi noted that Brewster's contract is not as lucrative as Mason's deal, which paid him $1.65 million last season.

"We feel this is the right thing to do," Maturi said. "It's not new money. The money is just being distributed differently."

Still, Maturi made a substantial financial commitment to Brewster's staff. The budget for eight of the nine assistants - Brewster is still in the process of hiring his final coach - is $1.3 million.

The school spent $1.16 million in salaries for Mason's nine assistants in 2006. More schools are offering multi-year contracts to attract and retain their coordinators, and Minnesota followed that model in hiring two proven coordinators.

Maturi is the kind of guy you'd love to see across the poker table.

We could obviously go on and on about how bad some of his choices have been and how he even managed to ruin some of the better choices he made.

I think his biggest mistakes have been his timing in hiring/firing and extending some coaches. I am not talking about the people getting fired or extended, i'm talking about WHEN he chose to make those moves.

While I am not at liberty to discuss it, I did NOT coin the name "MAC... anything. It was a commonly used name for a certain person whom I shall not speak of at the risk of unspeakable consequences. I always thought the origin came from a few members of THE GOAL LINE CLUB who used to take that name in vane every now and then when speaking discreetly in tail-gate settings, especially at Big Ten road games or at some bowl game functions. Any way, that is the first time I ever heard the name of that MAC.... passed around freely. I especially recall Nashville of 2005..., Ann Arbor of 2005 as well as a number of references even earlier than that. They convinced me right on the spot, the very first time I heard this "ba$tardization" of that specific individual's name. It was really a hoot! And, so "right on the money..." ; 0 )

So, for all I know, the person formerly known as kelly leaks, (prior to his untimely demise as was documented on one of these web sites) could have picked up on the name "...MAC-fillintheblank..."early on" If he says he coined the name, I really could care less. Maybe he did?

I would certainly never take credit (or, perhaps in this case dis-credit, dis membership or any other kind of dissing" by any displeased persons who may try to vote me off an island because of my beliefs and/or disbeliefs,) no matther how disenchanted I may be with any individual, either named or not named MAC... something or other.

I am, indeed an honest contraster of opinions on message boards!

; 0 )

Is Greg Mattison getting that at Ann Arbor? Look at the difference he's made in first season...

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943

One wonders why the head coach that was making 1.65 million plus incentives did not sacrifice some of his own pay.

---------------------------------------------

Maturi said Brewster, who received a five-year deal worth $1 million annually, offered to take less money to increase the allotment for his staff. Instead, Maturi added additional money to his initial pool for the assistants so Brewster could court veteran coordinators.

Maturi noted that Brewster's contract is not as lucrative as Mason's deal, which paid him $1.65 million last season.

"We feel this is the right thing to do," Maturi said. "It's not new money. The money is just being distributed differently."

Still, Maturi made a substantial financial commitment to Brewster's staff. The budget for eight of the nine assistants - Brewster is still in the process of hiring his final coach - is $1.3 million.

The school spent $1.16 million in salaries for Mason's nine assistants in 2006. More schools are offering multi-year contracts to attract and retain their coordinators, and Minnesota followed that model in hiring two proven coordinators.
Maximus,

1. I see you are a Joel Maturi apologist. I am a Glen Mason apologist. Therefore it is unlikely we will ever agree.
2. Yes, our Dear Leader (Joel Maturi, not Kim Jong-Il) did defecate more money for DCs, but only after he made sure Glen Mason was assassinated. How convenient. Joel’s ability to raise millions of dollars to extend contracts for people destined to be fired, and then to buy out the contracts of those terminated, borders on the miraculous. Isn’t it strange that he was able to conjure up big bucks out of thin air, but was unable to squat and defecate another $150,000 or $250,000 for a DC under Glen Mason?
3. So where did Joel get all this money? Would you give money to Joel if you were a wealthy U of M booster? I certainly would not. Who would give him this sort of money? The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the money came from those who most benefited by the botched terminations and subsequent horrible hiring decisions. They are the NFL / Vikings, NBA / Timberwolves, NHL / Wild, MLB / Twins, and WNBA / Lynx. I make no distinction between the aforementioned and organized crime. They are all beneficiaries and descendants of the organized crime empire Bugsy Siegel birthed in Las Vegas. Certainly the NFL / Vikings benefit the most from stumbly bumbly Golden Gopher Football teams.
4. The kindest thing I can say about Joel Maturi is that he is a Trojan Horse. The descendants / beneficiaries of the Bugsy Siegel dynasty could not possibly have scripted a more perfect “plant” to assume the AD position at the University of Minnesota for the purpose of sabotage. To them, Joel was and still is like manna from Heaven. To Minnesota alumni like me, Joel Maturi is the Third Reich equivalent of Herr Generalfeldmarschall Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Paulus. Joel has led my beloved alma mater into The Kessel. We are now the preeminent and undisputed laughingstock of all NCAA Division 1A universities.
5. Thank you Joel. Now will you finally please take your millions of dollars, leave, and retire in South Bend? Ziggy Wilf will send you a gold watch in the mail.

"I'm happy that my coining the "MACturi" name has stuck."

Really? Wren coined that phrase. The only thing you coined was how to fake your own death on an internet message board.

Per Wren, you are wrong.

Anyone challenging this?

Thought you were dead? Is this Mrs. Leeks? Cus I thought after your dbag husband died you took the insurance money, got a hut on an island and have been getting sexed up by a bunch of cabana boys? Well, if this is Mrs. Leeks...please go back to taking in the pooper on your island and leave the real discussions to real Gopher fans...if, in fact, Kelly has come back to life...please kill him and take the insurance money and go to some island please. We need more Leeks around here like the Titanic needed more icebergs.

I wonder what it's like to be insane. I mean, do you know that you're insane, or do you think that you're normal and everyone else is insane?

I am also glad I found out that Ben Siegel invented organized crime. Huh, learn something new every day.

I wonder what it's like to be insane. I mean, do you know that you're insane, or do you think that you're normal and everyone else is insane?

I am also glad I found out that Ben Siegel invented organized crime. Huh, learn something new every day.

The greatest part about this thread is that I have no idea which of three or four posters you are referring to.

Thought you were dead? Is this Mrs. Leeks? Cus I thought after your dbag husband died you took the insurance money, got a hut on an island and have been getting sexed up by a bunch of cabana boys? Well, if this is Mrs. Leeks...please go back to taking in the pooper on your island and leave the real discussions to real Gopher fans...if, in fact, Kelly has come back to life...please kill him and take the insurance money and go to some island please. We need more Leeks around here like the Titanic needed more icebergs.

Seriously, don't get past this.

Now, winnipeg, you don't need to take the rap for dopodoll...although he has flown off the handle some times around here. And, he certainly wins no friends or influences people with his nasty side. Why, that dopodoll character even calls himself the 2010 GopherHole MVP (I can only assume he means "Most Vicious Poster..." He may be challenged by gopherinphilly for that dubious distinction after this evening though...that is SOME kind of use of the language for trashing and polluting that is not really fit for public viewing or even four flushing...(I doubt if a single flush would handle that stuff...)

...and maximus is so busy defending the status quo and the causes for the state of things that he/she(?) may not realize what's up.

Poor Corcoran and Great Plains Gopher were at the right place at the wrong time.

I don't know what bob_loblow's deal is...it's always kind of hard to tell....

; 0 )

but...I guess you certainly do fit the description of what you imply about others by joining in on this fun-filled thread. Why, you seem rather mean-spirited tonight winnipeg. Or, is that your usual personality?

When your team loses a Big Ten game 58-0 and there is little to no help in sight for the rest of the Big Ten season people have got to have some fun having some fun winnipeg! Live it up a little winnipeg...live it up!

; 0 )

Back to the OP, it would certainly have been interesting to see what Mason could have done with administrative commitment to pay for top-notch assistants but it's over and done with.

Maturi is the kind of guy you'd love to see across the poker table.

We could obviously go on and on about how bad some of his choices have been and how he even managed to ruin some of the better choices he made.

I think his biggest mistakes have been his timing in hiring/firing and extending some coaches. I am not talking about the people getting fired or extended, i'm talking about WHEN he chose to make those moves.

How many times does it have to be stated in GopherHole that Bruininks was a control freak who determined WHEN coaches were hired and fired? It is amazing how Bruininks was able to fly under the radar where the Athletics Department was concerned.

Oh, how surprising! You mean that a prexy always gets exactly what a prexy wants? VERY interesting! Can you say more Go4Broke?

This is a very interesting topic!

Now that I think about it, it seems that I have heard some talk of what your have just stated before!

; 0 )

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943

dpodoll68,
1. Did I say Benjamin Siegelbaum invented organized crime? Please refresh my memory by pointing out such a quote.
2. The migration, maturation, and morphing of corporate sports organized crime can be traced from the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, through the Syndicate’s dispatch of Benjamin Siegelbaum to California, and thence to Las Vegas to capitalize on sports gambling. Bugsy was the catalyst which consummated the marriage between the Syndicate and the emerging sports gambling empire. I therefore give Bugsy much credit for begetting the rapid growth of corporate sports in post WW II. You can preach that corporate sports are clean and not intertwined with organized crime if you want. This is standard propaganda.
3. How convenient to attack and label anybody who suggests that corporate sports is corrupt and infused with organized crime as insane. By the way, who appointed you psychiatrist of the day? Lucy Van Pelt? Do you still charge $0.05?
4. You may post more frequently than anybody else on this board during the last couple of years, but this hyperactivity does not necessarily confer wisdom upon you.

Mason? Give me a break. Who was going to recruit the defensive players? Certainly not that smug SOB. Every time a coach starts off bad I have to read this Mase crap.

ummmmmmm...... Did Mason not have JJ Watt and Greg Jones, the two best defensive players in the bigten the past couple years, verbal to Minnesota before he was fired in '06??? yep

JJ Watt was recruited as a TE by Mason. There's also no guarantee that those two would be as good here as they were at their respective schools. Too many different factors are in play.

Sorry kuato of delvin: You are only projecting your biased opinion about these two superb athletes. I vote that they would have been fantastic players at Minnesota. They would have been SO good....
but, we'll never know because we played brewball and went 1-11 in all games and 0-8 in Big Ten play in 2007. Not much fun was had by anyone with brewball.
; 0 )

Sorry kuato of delvin: You are only projecting your biased opinion about these two superb athletes. I vote that they would have been fantastic players at Minnesota. They would have been SO good....
but, we'll never know because we played brewball and went 1-11 in all games and 0-8 in Big Ten play in 2007. Not much fun was had by anyone with brewball.
; 0 )

Just what exactly would that bias be? I'd appreciate if you put the bottle down before you reply.

Top Bottom