Doogie: Jerry Kill didn't know what he was getting into with Gophers

Good review of how incompetent the search was, remember the talk of $2.5M and the website page with the coach silhouette on it? Jerry is going to be the right guy in time but was hired by the king of incompetence.

That's why nobody should be shocked when Kill said this week, "This is not a one, two, or three-year fix. ... If this was a good job, I wouldn't be here. They'd have hired someone else."

And if Kill hadn't been saying the same thing since the day he was hired, he would have a point. Kill said from the beginning that this rebuild was more like Southern Illinois than Northern Illinois. Most of the football world thinks we made a pretty good hire, if Minnesota hadn't hired him, he may very well have landed some other BCS job in a few years.

And if Kill hadn't been saying the same thing since the day he was hired, he would have a point. Kill said from the beginning that this rebuild was more like Southern Illinois than Northern Illinois. Most of the football world thinks we made a pretty good hire, if Minnesota hadn't
hired him, he may very well have landed some other BCS job in a few years.

Correct. IMO, Jerry Kill will be here for however long he wants and if he does leave one on great terms one of his offense or defense of cordinators will be the next hire.

And if Kill hadn't been saying the same thing since the day he was hired, he would have a point. Kill said from the beginning that this rebuild was more like Southern Illinois than Northern Illinois.
We also didn't have help from Neinas. His firm wasn't hired for the search.

wish I never read the article

everyone is now dumber for reading that!

Thanks for the link.

4four4: 100% from many angles he had no idea of the academic ineptitude that existed, and while he had a little background knowledge on the team and the stadium from his Sept. 25 trip to TCF, it was a whirlwind how everything unfolded Dec. 4 and 5.

GoAupher: good catch. Went back through my notes and missed where I crossed out Neinas and had Parker, who assisted in '07.

GoAupher: good catch. Went back through my notes and missed where I crossed out Neinas and had Parker, who assisted in '07.

I only recall b/c at the time I was annoyed since hiring Neinas was one of those things that supposedly signaled that the U was serious about the hire. :)

Good review of how incompetent the search was, remember the talk of $2.5M and the website page with the coach silhouette on it? Jerry is going to be the right guy in time but was hired by the king of incompetence.

+1

It is my uneducated guess that our A.D. and the entire search process, that we go through everytime this happens, leaves any prospective coach with the feeling that "these idiots have no clue how to run a major program" and scares everyone of them off.

I'm sure when O'Hagan, who represents a lot of guys, let his clients know that Mona was a big part of the process, they might've laughed a bit.

Way more trepidation with seven coaches fired since the mid-60's, plus a lame duck A.D. and a brand new president.

Correct. IMO, Jerry Kill will be here for however long he wants and if he does leave one on great terms one of his offense or defense of cordinators will be the next hire.

This is what I would love to see happen. It would mean Jerry Kill had lots of success here, we would continue with the same systems, we wouldn't have to go through some hiring process and start over AGAIN, etc.

Confirmation

How nice to have someone confirm the "cluster" process, that many of us suspected was going on.

How about going back a few more years and detail out the Brewster hiring! (sheesh!)

everyone is now dumber for reading that!

+1

Kill certainly new the program's been in the sh!tter for a while. If there are insider type issues with the U lacking support for athletics he wouldn't have known that.

Texas-Gopher: 100% that he had no idea the magnitude of the academic issues, and as far as insider type inquiries, a few phone calls, and he could've discovered a lot. In this business, people love to talk. But between his team's banquet and him giving Maturi a yes, that due-diligence didn't take place. No rip on Jerry, but those are the facts.

Well, I guess Coach Kill has the opportunity to make it a good job. Hopefully the university and the rest of the state will get behind him and help rather then piling it on him and making it worse.

Coach Kill has stated that he didn't realize how bad shape the program was. Makes you wonder if he would have taken the job if he would have done some digging.

What difference does it make? He is here and taking a go at it.

Coach Kill has stated that he didn't realize how bad shape the program was. Makes you wonder if he would have taken the job if he would have done some digging.

What difference does it make? He is here and taking a go at it.

+1.

Go Gophers! Beat Purdue! In Kill We Trust!

He may not have known everything, but I think Kill had a decent idea of how bad of a job this was. You don't make that kind of move - especially with the health concerns he has - without doing your due diligence. That said, at the end of the day I just don't think he cared. He believes he can turn any program around.

Doogie likes to make assumptions. Maybe he should ask Kill the question instead of assuming.

He took the check.

He knew the job sucked. Hell I knew the job sucked and he is a lot smarter than I am.

Jerry Kill went into this a lot more informed than Doogie is willing to give him credit for. I guarantee it. He is not an idiot. Did he know everything? Of course not. No one can know all the subtleties of any job until they're living it on a day-to-day basis.

Had he known more about those subtleties, would he still have taken the job? Again, yes - I guarantee it. When you are pushing 50, and have spent nearly 30 years working your way up from nothing, you take the BCS job when offered. You just do. Odds are high that the opportunity will never present itself again.

Was it a mistake for him to take the job? Possibly, even probably. It sure has been that way for 40 years for every coach not named Holtz. Nonetheless, with great risk also comes the potential for great reward.

I'm sure when O'Hagan, who represents a lot of guys, let his clients know that Mona was a big part of the process, they might've laughed a bit.

Way more trepidation with seven coaches fired since the mid-60's, plus a lame duck A.D. and a brand new president.

Doogie have you heard Mona's name mentioned at all as a possible replacement for Maturui, if Maturi is let go? I heard it from a source but not sure how reliable it is.

It doesn't take a rocket science to see most of goofball Brewster's recruits were not making it in the classroom. If by chance Kill didin't look into it maybe his agent should have, God knows he made a killing on Kill's contract. I agree with dpodoll, Kill still takes the job.

You don't make that kind of move - especially with the health concerns he has - without doing your due diligence.

What? You make that move every single time. You move up in class, you move up in salary, you move your assistants up in salary. Without question you make that move. If you don't make that move, I would question your decision making process.

That said, at the end of the day I just don't think he cared.

That is flat out an ignorant statement. And I usually give your posts some credence, josh. At least I used to.

Texas-Gopher: 100% that he had no idea the magnitude of the academic issues, and as far as insider type inquiries, a few phone calls, and he could've discovered a lot. In this business, people love to talk. But between his team's banquet and him giving Maturi a yes, that due-diligence didn't take place. No rip on Jerry, but those are the facts.

Okay, maybe so. But the article also says "What Kill had little idea of was the Gophers' 43-year drought without a Big Ten title and 24 years without a top-three finish". Come on. Anyone with Wikipedia and 10 seconds knows this. Someone immersed in the profession like Kill would certainly know, before the phone rang.

I agree with the incompetence (especially if the part of flying coach and running into a talk show host is true), and I hope you're right about Kill.

(Posting from West Texas)

Top Bottom