Marcus Fuller blog: Gophers’ most talented freshman will redshirt this year, Kill say

True freshman defensive end Theiren Cockran from Florida runs a 4.6. Are you kidding me? Impressive.

Didn't know he was redshirted right now.. Thought he was a 2012 recruit.

I wish I would have watched this kid a bit during the open practices. I do remember seeing him only because he REALLY stood out, he doesn't kind of look like a WR, he looked exactly like a WR. That's a good thing, most of Kill's and Gary Patterson's best DE's have been converted RB/WR/QB's.

I remember watching his You Tube video from his senior year and not being all that impressed (I think he played some at D-Tackle?). He didn't look all that fast to me, but that shows what I know!

He sounds like the same type of player as that kid that committed to us last spring, got an offer from Virginia Tech the next week, and then committed there. Can't remember his name, but that kid's You Tube was awesome.

Physically he looks the part of a very underdeveloped stud DE.
Very long body and arms and carries his 220 like he's 180.
If Klein can get him beefed up in the next few years he'll have alot to offer, especially if his speed is legit like Kill says. A perfect redshirt candidate.

I was impressed with Jephte Matilus's size and physique too. He may need some leaning up even, but a very thick build, probably one of our bigger LBer's already(although not tall).

I remember watching his You Tube video from his senior year and not being all that impressed (I think he played some at D-Tackle?). He didn't look all that fast to me, but that shows what I know!

He sounds like the same type of player as that kid that committed to us last spring, got an offer from Virginia Tech the next week, and then committed there. Can't remember his name, but that kid's You Tube was awesome.

Wedley Estime

I remember getting yelled at for saying they shouldn't pull any more redshirts this late in the season. I remember getting yelled at for saying if they asked me I'd tell them no in a non polite way.

I remember getting yelled at for saying they shouldn't pull any more redshirts this late in the season.

If people yelled at you for this, they're not looking at the big picture. Judge rules: You did NOT deserve to get yelled at.

I remember getting yelled at for saying if they asked me I'd tell them no in a non polite way.

This may be a more legit beef....you don't tell your coach "F U" if asked to burn your redshirt. Judge rules: You DID deserve to get yelled at.

In fact, one of the few things I want to see the rest of the year is to not burn unnecessary redshirts. Some may HAVE to happen because of depth reasons. Hope it doesn't happen, particularly on the OL.

I remember getting yelled at for saying they shouldn't pull any more redshirts this late in the season. I remember getting yelled at for saying if they asked me I'd tell them no in a non polite way.

What is your point? Kill isn't asking this kid to burn his redshirt.

If people yelled at you for this, they're not looking at the big picture. Judge rules: You did NOT deserve to get yelled at.

This may be a more legit beef....you don't tell your coach "F U" if asked to burn your redshirt. Judge rules: You DID deserve to get yelled at.

In fact, one of the few things I want to see the rest of the year is to not burn unnecessary redshirts. Some may HAVE to happen because of depth reasons. Hope it doesn't happen, particularly on the OL.

I for one agree that they SHOULDN'T pull a redshirt midway through the season unless it is because of depth issues. The second part is exactly why I "yelled" at him, FU is not something you say to your coach.

In IT for the ∫e ͯ;442740 said:
What is your point? Kill isn't asking this kid to burn his redshirt.
My point is the Jerry and I are smarter than half of gopherhole on this issue.

In IT for the ∫e ͯ;442742 said:
I for one agree that they SHOULDN'T pull a redshirt midway through the season unless it is because of depth issues. The second part is exactly why I "yelled" at him, FU is not something you say to your coach.

Telling your coach FU = saying no in any way. Such as hell no. Or no way. Or absolutely not. If the coach asks you to do something and you say no, you are saying FU even if you don't use the words.
Not literally saying FU.

Telling your coach FU = saying no in any way. Such as hell no. Or no way. Or absolutely not. If the coach asks you to do something and you say no, you are saying FU even if you don't use the words.
Not literally saying FU.

I look at it differently, but I get your point, my main issue was I took it as literally saying FU, which like I said is just not something you say to your coach. Declining it respectfully is a completely different story.

I think he's burned too many redshirts already, but that's just me. Agree that depth is a problem (isn't it always?), but I don't see why Cobb is getting carries in front of Wright because it's not going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I think he's burned too many redshirts already, but that's just me. Agree that depth is a problem (isn't it always?), but I don't see why Cobb is getting carries in front of Wright because it's not going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I thought the same thing about the Cobb situation, especially when he was only given 1 carry in the NDSU game.

In an ideal world, you will have 17 scholarship players in each class (17 * 5 = 85), so given natural attrition, it makes sense to play 6-8 freshman to push them into the next class ahead of those currently redshirting. Given our current situation, I can definitely see the argument that you want to redshirt as many as possible, but Kill is already looking ahead to where the roster situation will be in 4-5 years. He's doing what a coach with a more established, deeper roster would do. It may be painful now, but we will reap the rewards down the line if things go according to plan.

Kill said of the RB's he is just trying to find somone that can make some plays. Also said that Kirkwood can't stay healthy which has created part of the problem. RB is probably one of the easiest places to play as a true freshman. I don't see an issue in playing them.

In an ideal world, you will have 17 scholarship players in each class (17 * 5 = 85), so given natural attrition, it makes sense to play 6-8 freshman to push them into the next class ahead of those currently redshirting. Given our current situation, I can definitely see the argument that you want to redshirt as many as possible, but Kill is already looking ahead to where the roster situation will be in 4-5 years. He's doing what a coach with a more established, deeper roster would do. It may be painful now, but we will reap the rewards down the line if things go according to plan.

That makes good sense DP. I also wonder if he's keeping the redshirts on the ones that he feels have the greatest upside and burning those who are not as promising. This potentially gives us the greatest roster quality in years 3, 4, and 5. Don't forget, he's been through this situation before.

That makes good sense DP. I also wonder if he's keeping the redshirts on the ones that he feels have the greatest upside and burning those who are not as promising.
A different way to look at this is he could be keeping the RS on the guys who need more time to develop that upside and are currently at a point where they won't contribute in a meaningful way. Doesn't have to mean any RS he burned had less promise or upside.

A different way to look at this is he could be keeping the RS on the guys who need more time to develop that upside and are currently at a point where they won't contribute in a meaningful way. Doesn't have to mean any RS he burned had less promise or upside.

Realistically it's likely a combination of the two.

No doubt. Just pointing out the flip side to the coin. :)

But, in reality, those 17 scholarships don't hold up well in recruiting for need and balancing the team with actual player losses, due to transfer, graduation, hardship, and other reasons beyond the schools control. Some years you recruit more for a position than you hoped because somebody left the program. Then, you end up deciding between needs (which is more important and who is available.

Top Bottom