Brewster fires back: "This is the same group of kids that beat Illinois and Iowa"

This was bound to happen with all the grandstanding both have done with their mouths through the media, Brew @ the B1G Kick-Off Luncheon and now Coach Kill.

Of course, the Daily is running to Brew like a 4 year old tattling on his brother.. I can just see how they are questioning Brew, too.

Does Brewster really want to go there? There are only 3 starters from the Iowa game on offense (McKnight, Lair, Bunders), so I'd hardly call it the same team.

I think, at this point, that we should take everything from Tim Brewster with a mine of salt.

Brewster doesn't deserve to have a voice in anything Minnesota football anymore

Wow...what team is he looking at? 5 year senior and 4 year starting QB, 4 SR offensive linemen and starting FB all graduated and 2nd WR now playing QB. On defense we graduated 3 & 4 year starting corners, starting MLB, starting DE and DT and lost other starting DT to academics.

How is this even close to the same team? Brewster feeling a little stepped on because his incompetence is under the spotlight...tough. If you didn't want to look like a moron you should have done your job better Brew. You got fired for a reason!

Does Brewster really want to go there? There are only 3 starters from the Iowa game on offense (McKnight, Lair, Bunders), so I'd hardly call it the same team.

Exactly...along with the fact he was not the one coaching them to the victories...

“That’s a very talented football team that’s at the University of Minnesota right now. Coach Kill is very fortunate and he knows that,” Brewster told the Daily at Big Ten football media days in Chicago in July.

This quote from Brewster blows my mind. There is no talent on this team and Brewster knows that. He didn't recruit well at all. I still laugh when I hear Brewster defenders say recruiting is the one thing he did well. He recruited a bunch of thugs to Minnesota who are lazy, don't care about class, or the team. Some of them have a decent amount of athletic ability but they aren't football players. Not to be too harsh, but most of the kids on this team are just flat out dumb. This is not an intelligent group of people that Brewster recruited.

I've never seen anyone more full of BS than Tim Brewster.

Brewster fires back: "This is the same group of kids that beat Illinois and Iowa

Hello! Anybody home??

We all know why TB is firing back....his prospects for landing another fb job are becoming dimmer every game MN plays. The guy has to rebuild his reputation as a fb recruiter somehow because the product on the field has destroyed whatever little reputation he had as a recruiter.

We all know why TB is firing back....his prospects for landing another fb job are becoming dimmer every game MN plays. The guy has to rebuild his reputation as a fb recruiter somehow because the product on the field has destroyed whatever little reputation he had as a recruiter.

If he wants to be a head coach again I would recommend that he go call plays as an offensive coordinator at low FBS or FCS.

Anyone else find it sad that Jeff Horton has as many wins as Brewster and Kill together in the past 2 years?

Anyone else find it sad that Jeff Horton has as many wins as Brewster and Kill together in the past 2 years?
Horton was much more qualified to be a head coach than Brewster, so not shocking on that end.

I thought it last November, and i think it more so now, Horton would have been the best person for the job. The transition would have been seemless. They wouldn't have lost the number of kids they lost, the schemes would have been similiar both offensively and defensively, and we wouldn't be suffering through what we are now.

I hope it turns out better in the end, we just have to wait 3/4 years to have any idea.

Regarding the ineligible players thing, I think Kill's referring to how guys basically quit after Brewster was fired. Brewster probably wouldn't know much about that since he wasn't here anymore, but I'm pretty sure that's the case of what Kill's referring to.

I'm sorry, but it's hard to side with Brew on this one when you consider the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. As noted previously, the team that beat Iowa and Illinois to end last year had experience on the line and an 4 year starting QB. Our offense this year was left with little. And defensively, yeah, I wouldn't brag too much on what was left on that side of the ball really.

The most seamless transition of all would have been to have kept Brewster.

Interesting stat on TB's recruiting discussed the other day on KFAN. In '08 he signed 29 recruits and not 1 lineman. Probably our best position in the state and he didn't think it wise to sign 1?

Oh and TB, you had a veteran QB leading that team. Not that he was Elway but certainly upgrade over this year's struggles.

I thought it last November, and i think it more so now, Horton would have been the best person for the job. The transition would have been seemless. They wouldn't have lost the number of kids they lost, the schemes would have been similiar both offensively and defensively, and we wouldn't be suffering through what we are now.

I hope it turns out better in the end, we just have to wait 3/4 years to have any idea.

You can't make a snap hire just thinking of the next season. You gotta think long term, and long term, I don't think Horton would have been the answer. Not to discredit anything he did, but I think it's a tiny bit easier to coach when you have nothing on the line than it is when it's your job and you're trying to hold onto it.

Let's not forget the man had like a 17 game losing streak or whatever it was that he snapped with those two wins. It's not like he had a great head coaching resume.

“That’s a very talented football team that’s at the University of Minnesota right now. Coach Kill is very fortunate and he knows that,” Brewster told the Daily at Big Ten football media days in Chicago in July.

This quote from Brewster blows my mind. There is no talent on this team and Brewster knows that. He didn't recruit well at all. I still laugh when I hear Brewster defenders say recruiting is the one thing he did well. He recruited a bunch of thugs to Minnesota who are lazy, don't care about class, or the team. Some of them have a decent amount of athletic ability but they aren't football players. Not to be too harsh, but most of the kids on this team are just flat out dumb. This is not an intelligent group of people that Brewster recruited.

I've never seen anyone more full of BS than Tim Brewster.

The saddest part is, he might not know...

Interesting stat on TB's recruiting discussed the other day on KFAN. In '08 he signed 29 recruits and not 1 lineman. Probably our best position in the state and he didn't think it wise to sign 1?

In-state OL recruits, 2008:

Joe Schafer - 6 BCS offers, including MN; signed with WI, washed out of football within 2 years

Roszell Gayden - Committed to MN, academically ineligible, played at Auburn after going JuCo, now attending Winona St. and not playing football

Tim Sauer - Signed with NIU, no I-A offers

Brewster should've signed 1-2 OL in the 2008 class, but some alleged in-state indifference had nothing to do with it.

Oh and TB, you had a veteran QB leading that team. Not that he was Elway but certainly upgrade over this year's struggles.

......that was a Mason recruit.

Brewster was hired because he was a 'great recruiter', yet we have an ultra low level of talent.:eek:

This may not be the same group of kids who beat Illinois and Iowa, but it is the same group of kids who came within a field goal of USC.

Point well taken, that's the confounding part. Part of the reason the loss was as bad as it was were some injuries (Stoudemire, Gray) and the fact that Kill was playing a bunch of freshman and trying to determine who would play hard for him.

Brewster needs to swallow it when the questions come up. I was no Mason fan but he showed a lot of class in a difficult situation after he was canned. As we all know, there were a number of times he could have been all over Brewster, but I can't recall a single straightforward rip when it would have been easy to come forward with one.

Brewster needs to swallow it when the questions come up. I was no Mason fan but he showed a lot of class in a difficult situation after he was canned. As we all know, there were a number of times he could have been all over Brewster, but I can't recall a single straightforward rip when it would have been easy to come forward with one.
Dan B. asked Mase a number of times to comment on Brewster and he always withehld his opinion with class. I know he pissed a lot of you off, but he had a lot more class then Brewster appears to. Brewster would be best to shut up and not comment on Minnesota football. Always take the high road, because that's where you'll find me and Denny Green having a beer... ;)

Brewster is obviously a blow hard and thinks there is more talent here than there is, but there is a nugget of valid info....we are simply considerably more talented than we are showing.

Lets ignore the offense, we have returned almost our entire defense, the same defense that gave up 19 points to USC, the same defense that was good against Iowa.

Our team is bad, but we are not 58-0 at Michigan bad, we are not less talented than NMSU.

I don't know why this is happening, and i'm not blaming Kill but I think it's a valid point that we are not playing up to our potential (I agree we don't have much potential).

In-state OL recruits, 2008:

Joe Schafer - 6 BCS offers, including MN; signed with WI, washed out of football within 2 years

Roszell Gayden - Committed to MN, academically ineligible, played at Auburn after going JuCo, now attending Winona St. and not playing football

Tim Sauer - Signed with NIU, no I-A offers

Brewster should've signed 1-2 OL in the 2008 class, but some alleged in-state indifference had nothing to do with it.

Not a commentary on where the players reside. A statement that he completely ignored the position while living in a state if known for producing any BCS recruits, they are lineman.

I convinced myself that I was a Brew supporter the day he was hired, and tried to defend him when local media folks ripped him over the course of the next two years. I always thought, yes, he is a blow-hard, and yes, his scripted positivity can rub people the wrong way here, but maybe that's a good thing! He's different in a lot of ways from anybody else we had (including Wacker). And while his motivational tactics came across as completely juvenile and ingenuous to me, what mattered was whether or not they resonated with the players, and when the team started out 7-1 in 2008 (wasn't it 2008?), I thought, "okay, here we go! They're buying it!" But after another year of disappointing losses, and then the loss to USD last year, I knew he had to go.

Now, looking at how things stand now, I see he was not only a complete blow-hard, but an absolute idiot (without any real experience whatsoever) when it came to structuring and building a college football program. And now, every time he opens his mouth (including this past Sunday during the Vikes game), I realize he is just a classic, rock-headed, blow-hard idiot.

Even with the guys we lost last year that we're now saying were good players, we still got beat by South Dakota! And Northern Illinois POUNDED us!

Personally, I love Kill, and despite what some media members are saying now (Fuller saying Kill is using the same excuses as Brewster), Kill's assessment of the team has been right on from day one. Local media also positioned his statements during the spring and early fall practices as he is "managing/lowering expectations" - maybe he was in fact just being brutally honest! We're not good! The team last year wasn't good! The recruiting and retention has been gawd-awful! And now he has to clean up this crap mess.

Screw Brewster and his idiocy eternally.

Top Bottom