Jerry Kill press confrence notes...honest as ever.

Awesome notes. I missed the presser because I had some errands to run on my lunch break. Wish I could've pushed back the errands.

Thank you a ton on the notes!

I spend more time babysitting than coaching. I'm still getting on kids to go to class.

How sad is this. I know if you have 100 college kids, a chunk of them will slack...but at what point does it connect that this is a wonderful chance to get an education. Shame that he has to keep on them to be students.

Great notes. Looks Kill went out of his way NOT to "blame the kids". It will be interesting to see how many posters here will.

When someone's bigger, stronger and faster than you, and we go out in practice and do the same thing, it's beating down a dead horse. In some ways, you think the opposite after you get beat up. If you don't have your shoulders and legs, you won't tackle very well. We've gotten slower since we played USC.
• You recruit them tough, you can't make them tough. Our kids, mentally, need to feel good about themselves. They've been beaten down a little bit. We've got to get them to that point. More of our problem, is mentally believing you've got to do some things.
• I'm embarrassed. Bottom line is, I've said exactly where we're at. At one time, we played 8 freshman, true freshman and redshirt frosh, when you're 260 pounds and go up against someone that's 310 pounds, you get smashed. ..

• Some of the older kids have been here through tough situations and don’t have fight back mentality, that's not their fault. I'm trying to change that, and it's not easy to do...

• Kirksey is playing better than I've ever seen him plays, same with Henderson....

..Concentration level and focus level is not very good, but it has gotten better...

• I want to see a guy make a play. Step up and make a play. Kirkwood had hamstring problems, he's been hurt too much, he wasn't 100% healthy. You can't play these kids half speed. We went to David Cobb and he did some good things. People ask why these kids are making mistakes, a lot of them haven't played."

I spend more time babysitting than coaching. I'm still getting on kids to go to class.

What does that say about Brew's recruiting?

What does that say about Brew's recruiting?

I don't blame Brewster. Every coach does a fair amount of babysitting. In today's world however, this can not be tolerated.

It doesn't necessarily say anything about his recruiting, but perhaps about the environment he created on the team. Sure, there are some recruits who are very serious about their academics, and some who have to be sat on to get them to go to class and do their work. You can, to an extent, choose to recruit the former, that means that you don't have to spend as much time in making sure they go to class. But people tend to be lazy, and if you give them an environment where expectations are low, they will often only live up to those low expectations. It's easier to prevent a problem in the first place than it is to fix it after it is broken.

"Murray Warmath said that lessons are learned in defeat, our guys are getting a great education. That's how I feel about things. We didn't do very well, maybe well get an education."
Love this line.

Great notes. Looks Kill went out of his way NOT to "blame the kids". [/I]

Well, he's sort of blaming the kids. He's saying they're not tough. He's saying they don't always fight back. But he does end a lot of those thoughts by saying it's on him. At least he's trying not to blame the kids.

He doesn't seem to mind about blaming just about everybody else, whether he uses their name or not. He says, "I'm not blaming Coach Brewster" for having 22 guys academically ineligible last year (is that true?), but if that's not what he's doing, what is he doing? He says "I don't have a press conference lon genough to tell you what needs to take place here." He says this isn't a great job.

Is any of that untrue? No. But he sounds like a guy making excuses. Brewster said some of the same kinds of things. So did Mason.

I really do believe that the rebuilding process might need to go through the kind of year we are seeing, and I haven't given up on Kill. But he's already making excuses and he needs to stop. For all Brewster's faults, he never would've said publicly that this is a bad job. Even he knew that would make it worse.

Well, he's sort of blaming the kids. He's saying they're not tough. He's saying they don't always fight back. But he does end a lot of those thoughts by saying it's on him. At least he's trying not to blame the kids.

He doesn't seem to mind about blaming just about everybody else, whether he uses their name or not. He says, "I'm not blaming Coach Brewster" for having 22 guys academically ineligible last year (is that true?), but if that's not what he's doing, what is he doing? He says "I don't have a press conference lon genough to tell you what needs to take place here." He says this isn't a great job.

Is any of that untrue? No. But he sounds like a guy making excuses. Brewster said some of the same kinds of things. So did Mason.

I really do believe that the rebuilding process might need to go through the kind of year we are seeing, and I haven't given up on Kill. But he's already making excuses and he needs to stop. For all Brewster's faults, he never would've said publicly that this is a bad job. Even he knew that would make it worse.

Partially disagree. Most of the problems ARE the fault of the previous coach. The last year and a half of his tenure he was basically "dead man walking". Last year he was gone after their first lost. How do you demand discipline when all your players know that you're gone?

The difference today is Kill said that there are good reasons for what the players are doing. He didn't just throw them under the bus.

So should Kill not address ANY of the circumstances that may be A PART of why this team is struggling right now? If he's asked "Hey coach, what's up with this program right now?" he should just say "I suck as a coach" and move on?

I don't understand why being honest about ALL the things surrounding the program has to be about making excuses or throwing blame on others. You ask him what he thinks of a situation, he tells you. Whether you agree or not, that's his perspective, and he's the head coach, so he's probably not too far off in his assessment.

Who cares if he SOUNDS like he's making excuses. As long as he's puttin in the work to make it better and we eventually see results, I couldn't care less what he says. If we keep seeing beat downs like Saturday, then we won't care what words he's throwing out there, we'll want him gone regardless.

You say excuses, I say transparent. He is educating the media and fans of what he is dealing with. Again he was brought in to change 40 years poor results. Truth hurts sometimes.

Last year, we had guys that played the whole year that never went to class, we had 22 guys academically ineligible.

That is incredible. No wonder he couldn't clean house. It's easy to dismiss a few players not pulling their weight, but 25% of a team is not. Having that many players in academic trouble undoubtedly affects on field progress because a good chunk of players are catching up academically, which leaves less time to study the playbook and film.

He's approaching it with kid gloves but he is definitely placing blame at both the feet of Brewster and the players, you can't argue for a second that he isn't telling the kids that they need to man up and be accountable for their behavior. I like that Kill is taking the responsibility for academics and behavior on his and the coaches shoulders, as he said hopefully the habits being formed this season become self fulfilling to the point where the hand holding can stop.

That is incredible. No wonder he couldn't clean house. It's easy to dismiss a few players not pulling their weight, but 25% of a team is not. Having that many players in academic trouble undoubtedly affects on field progress because a good chunk of players are catching up academically, which leaves less time to study the playbook and film.

He followed it up by saying he will help all players stay and get them corrected. Some won't accept the help and they will move on.

He's airing out the programs' dirty laundry, nothing wrong with that.

I remember someone mentioning he had come to some decisions on the drive home from Mayo that would help the program in the future, I think we're seeing what he decided on. He's challenging everyone to be better, players, coaches, admin, fans, himself.
He's not going to hide from anything, what's the point?

I expect the next few weeks to be freshmen and sophomore heavy, potentially ugly, and for some new kids to start to emerge as starters/contributors.

Come the end of the year, we'll see an exodus of kids who aren't interested in playing here, and an influx of kids who may have to play earlier than expected again.
This may take 2-3 years to get cleaned up, it's going to suck, but I think if we take our medicine now, Kill will get a team he can coach the way he likes by the 2013 season and be competitive like he's been everywhere else by 2014.

So should Kill not address ANY of the circumstances that may be A PART of why this team is struggling right now? If he's asked "Hey coach, what's up with this program right now?" he should just say "I suck as a coach" and move on?

I don't understand why being honest about ALL the things surrounding the program has to be about making excuses or throwing blame on others. You ask him what he thinks of a situation, he tells you. Whether you agree or not, that's his perspective, and he's the head coach, so he's probably not too far off in his assessment.

Who cares if he SOUNDS like he's making excuses. As long as he's puttin in the work to make it better and we eventually see results, I couldn't care less what he says. If we keep seeing beat downs like Saturday, then we won't care what words he's throwing out there, we'll want him gone regardless.

I guess what bothers me most about it is that his tone has changed a little bit. We all know this isn't a great job, and we all know he's got a big rebuilding job ahead of him. He has addressed some of these things before less aggressively than he is now. For example, he mentioned after he was hired that there were too many players with some academic issues. When that changes to "we had 22 players academically ineligible, but I'm not blaming Coach Brewster" after a 58-0 loss that brings you to 1-4, it sounds like you're blaming others.

So why is that bad? In some cases, maybe it's not. Maybe the parents of an incoming recruit will like the fact that he's taking a stand on academics. But there are some other things ("this isn't a good job," "we don't have enough time to list all of the problems with the program") that might scare a recruit away.

But the biggest fear is that it flies in the face of what everybody liked about him after he was hired. It changes him from an "aw shucks, we've got some problems and we're going to roll up our sleeves and get to work on them" kind of guy to a finger-pointing "not my fault" child that suddenly sounds the same as the coaches we've had before. I don't want to see his personality change. When the fans like a guy, he will get more time to get this turned around. When they don't ... well, Brewster and Chilly didn't get much rope.

I really don't think he's changed his tune hardly at all. Losing does make a guy more bitter I'm sure, but his message has been virtually the same his entire time here IMO. I think people received it differently when he was 0-0, compared to now when he's 1-4 with three embarrassing losses.

Plus, he probably knows more about this team now than he did when he first got here, so he's in better position to comment or have opinions on the state of certain aspects of the program.

I guess what bothers me most about it is that his tone has changed a little bit. We all know this isn't a great job, and we all know he's got a big rebuilding job ahead of him. He has addressed some of these things before less aggressively than he is now. For example, he mentioned after he was hired that there were too many players with some academic issues. When that changes to "we had 22 players academically ineligible, but I'm not blaming Coach Brewster" after a 58-0 loss that brings you to 1-4, it sounds like you're blaming others.

So why is that bad? In some cases, maybe it's not. Maybe the parents of an incoming recruit will like the fact that he's taking a stand on academics. But there are some other things ("this isn't a good job," "we don't have enough time to list all of the problems with the program") that might scare a recruit away.

But the biggest fear is that it flies in the face of what everybody liked about him after he was hired. It changes him from an "aw shucks, we've got some problems and we're going to roll up our sleeves and get to work on them" kind of guy to a finger-pointing "not my fault" child that suddenly sounds the same as the coaches we've had before. I don't want to see his personality change. When the fans like a guy, he will get more time to get this turned around. When they don't ... well, Brewster and Chilly didn't get much rope.

Really? So, after admitting he's been outcoached and outplayed, his comments are 'finger-pointing'?? You can't be serious. If what coach said was finger-pointing in your eyes, then the U should just abolish all press conferences. EVERY press conference of coaches after a big loss (and every coach has had them) can be construed as finger-pointing.

Fact of the matter is.. It makes zero difference what coach says at his pressers that effects the product on the field.

I really don't think he's changed his tune hardly at all. Losing does make a guy more bitter I'm sure, but his message has been virtually the same his entire time here IMO. I think people received it differently when he was 0-0, compared to now when he's 1-4 with three embarrassing losses.

Plus, he probably knows more about this team now than he did when he first got here, so he's in better position to comment or have opinions on the state of certain aspects of the program.

I feel for him. He is in a situation where no matter what he says- he's wrong. The problem with what he says is that he appears to talk a little too much. He goes in circles not blaming Brew- but blaming Brew by saying that his kids didn't go to class. Then he doesn't blame the kids, but says he has "an empty roster" which is a pretty big kick in the face to the players.

Clem Haskins was the master of controlling fan expectations while keeping the players with him. He would always talk about how the future was in front of his "fine young players" (Clem seemed to rarely have a team that wasn't young in his view) and how each of them just need 10 - 20 pounds on their frames and they would be much better players. This approach brought him through some pretty ugly years unscathed. I think Kill has to concentrate on talking up his guys and the future rather than dwelling quite so hard on where they are today.

I have to say that after Saturday I about threw in the towel on the entire program...but how can you NOT like this Coach. There is no BS, no blowing smoke. No tired cliches, just the honest truth and an overall confidence in himself and his staff that they WILL get the job done, it's just a matter of time. I DO blelieve in you Coach and will hang in there with you.

I would rather have a little honesty, than a boat load of deception. If Kill is telling it like it is, which I have no reason to doubt right now, I can live with it. If these are considered excuses, so be it.

Clem Haskins was the master of controlling fan expectations while keeping the players with him. He would always talk about how the future was in front of his "fine young players" (Clem seemed to rarely have a team that wasn't young in his view) and how each of them just need 10 - 20 pounds on their frames and they would be much better players. This approach brought him through some pretty ugly years unscathed. I think Kill has to concentrate on talking up his guys and the future rather than dwelling quite so hard on where they are today.

I think you had it right when you said he can't say anything that is "right". Because what you describe here is a BS artist. A talented one, but a BS artist. You're saying Clem spun things nicely and people bought it. But if you listen to Gopher fans the last thing they want is a BS artist after Brew.

Maybe we should all just be honest and say we prefer being BS'd but only if it's done by a real pro?

GoAUpher;442129Maybe we should all just be honest and say we prefer being BS'd but only if it's done by a real pro?[/QUOTE said:
No, we prefer being BSed by someone who wins a few games. Kill starts winning and the critics disappear. Continues losing and they will increase. At the end of the day, on field results are all that matter.

After last coach I can't believe that people care at all what a coach says. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field. The talking is worthless.

No, we prefer being BSed by someone who wins a few games. Kill starts winning and the critics disappear. Continues losing and they will increase. At the end of the day, on field results are all that matter.
So we're back to the fact that nothing Kill can say will ever be "right".

Nobody gets much rope. The coach has got to do what the coach has got to do.

I was extremely happy to see brewster taken out and only regret that he was not taken out sooner. He couldn't stand on his own two feet. The parade of coordinators started as soon as the first season had been completed. In the end NOBODY could save brewster from himself.

Coach Kill had better just do things the way he wants to do things starting from day one, because, his record is 1-4 right now overall and 0-1 in Big Ten play. His job here started the day he accepted the job. He has some things that he just has to accept. Maybe he can't put a team on the field this year that will be as good (on paper) as any other team he will play in the Big Ten. He took the job. He has to live with what he has. That's life.

On the other hand, he has a BEAUTIFUL stadium to recruit to that hoax,Gutey, Wacker, Mason and brewster didn't have in their first year. You win some...and you lose some...but: you have what you have and that is ALL that you have.

I'll never feel too sorry for any head coach who makes the kind of money a Big Ten Coach makes. So, Coach Kill has his shot. It's up to him to do it the way he sees fit to do it.

What I don't like about the U of M Football Program is the administrative leadership that has been the factor in control for the past half century. They have been totally in control of everything that has happened in the football program from the NC years right on through the present time. The administrators have dictated EVERY move made over that time. Many of the moves have been HORRIBLE moves when compaired to the moves the administrators at OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU et. al. We can now add Nebraska to that list...and...as of late, iowa and wisky.

It's kind of too bad, in a way that MORE of these administrations that tried to "fire" their way to appeasing the fans and season ticket holders couldn't have been "fired" themselves. They really didn't have such a great half-century themselves when you really take a look at the tenures of some of them.

So, Coach Kill just has to do it the way he sees fit. He will be held accountable. The ONE thing that will make him or break him will be the total number of Big Ten wins he can achieve. Years one...three and seven are especially important. Year one should include at least one Big Ten win. Without that, it can be very difficult to get to the minimum 7 or 8 Big Ten win number by year number three. (That should get the 4 or 5 year contract extension deal done.) By the end of year number seven, a minimum of 21 Big Ten wins MIGHT get an extension out to the 10th season...if academics, attendance and especially student attendance is acceptable. 22 to 24 Big Ten wins by the end of the 7th season would make a further extension highly likely. Considering the history of this program, the state of this program and the fact that Nebraska has been added to the conference, between 21 and 25 Big Ten wins by the end of the 7th season would be a really remarkable and admirable achievement, assuming academics continue to improve and the program has been run completely scandal and problem free. That number would leave room for some years to be better than other years and maybe even a nice run in one of those seasons!

So, good luck Coach Kill. I'm cheering for you, your saff and your players. I hav confidence that you will give this job your best effort and that you will use your experience to work to keep things on an even keel. This program needs the stability that you and your staff can deliver...and...your players need that stability that you and your staff can, and will provide.

One Big Ten win this year would certainly help your case. No, I am sure that you won't be fired if you don't win in the Big Ten this season...but...a Big Ten win certainly would help. Two Big Ten wins this season would put you in pretty darn good shape!

There is NO free pass in the first year. You took the job. You play with what you have to play with. Figure out a way to beg, borrow or steal a Big Ten win or two this year and in my estimation, you will be cruising and will drive thiis program to your first extension at the end of year three!

And, it is MUCH better to have TCF BANK STADIUM on the East Bank campus than it was to have had the damn dome within the distant view way over in downtown Minneapolis. So, it is what it is...the good, the bad, the new and the old. In the end: it's all in your hands Coach Kill...the ball is in your court...

; 0 )

Ah, yeah. You usually bring a little more insight then that :))) but yeah, if they had won more games more people would be happy and less people would complain.

I think you had it right when you said he can't say anything that is "right". Because what you describe here is a BS artist. A talented one, but a BS artist. You're saying Clem spun things nicely and people bought it. But if you listen to Gopher fans the last thing they want is a BS artist after Brew.

Maybe we should all just be honest and say we prefer being BS'd but only if it's done by a real pro?

The game is entertainment. I expect coaches to BS us and support the players- and then go out and produce
some wins because the players run through walls for him. That way both the talk and the games are fun.

i guess not going to class is OK as long as they are writing their own papers

Top Bottom