PiPress: Philip Nelson keeping his focus on high school before heading off to Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"I feel like coach Kill is kind of dealing now with some players that don't want to be there. That's what I've heard. You can kind of tell on the field that some of those players don't want to be there. You want players who are going to be there and give it their all. You don't want to have to deal with any of those other players. We would much rather take somebody who wants to be there all the time, giving it their all, than someone who is there because they made a mistake by committing too early."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19034056

Go Gophers!!

Cannot wait for this kid. Him and Pirsig committing are huge for this program.

Too bad Andre McDonald will be missing out, but this is a very solid start!

I'm excited to watch Nelson throw the football protected by a line with the Olson brothers, Gjere, Pirsig, Hayes, et al

"I feel like coach Kill is kind of dealing now with some players that don't want to be there. That's what I've heard. You can kind of tell on the field that some of those players don't want to be there. You want players who are going to be there and give it their all. You don't want to have to deal with any of those other players. We would much rather take somebody who wants to be there all the time, giving it their all, than someone who is there because they made a mistake by committing too early."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19034056

Go Gophers!!

Pretty well says it all right there.

If Nelson's comment is true, which I think it is, I expect a lot of attrition at the end of the season. This is why we will probably sign a full class.

Pretty well says it all right there.

I agree. I've commented a couple times about how it appears that some players are not giving their best effort and don't appear to care all that much. This may be the year we need to weed those guys out.

I really NEEDED to have something like this to read this week. I hope he is a great one at the "U"... sounds like a very solid kid in every way. It will also be nice to have him in spring practice.

Plus... I hear he runs a 4.2 40.

:)

"I feel like coach Kill is kind of dealing now with some players that don't want to be there. That's what I've heard. You can kind of tell on the field that some of those players don't want to be there. You want players who are going to be there and give it their all. You don't want to have to deal with any of those other players. ."

WOW......A high school senior has more insight than many on this board.

"I feel like coach Kill is kind of dealing now with some players that don't want to be there. That's what I've heard. You can kind of tell on the field that some of those players don't want to be there."

True or not, this isn't a smart move on his part.

I'm guessing Philip's red jersey will be ignored by a few upperclassman next August.

If they don't want to be here, ignoring the special QB jersey in practice might be a great way not to be here real fast.

"I feel like coach Kill is kind of dealing now with some players that don't want to be there. That's what I've heard. You can kind of tell on the field that some of those players don't want to be there."

True or not, this isn't a smart move on his part.

I'm guessing Philip's red jersey will be ignored by a few upperclassman next August.

Let me expose how little you know of Gopher football...

QBs in Gophers practice don't wear red jerseys. They wear gold ones.

As a leader on the team, he is going to have to get in players faces from time to time. And besides the guilty ones will probably be gone anyways...and they are the only ones that might want to take it out on him.

I really NEEDED to have something like this to read this week. I hope he is a great one at the "U"... sounds like a very solid kid in every way. It will also be nice to have him in spring practice.

Plus... I hear he runs a 4.2 40.

:)

He does, Philip Nelson also scored a touchdown in a basketball game, uses paper to cut scissors, created fire by rubbing two ice cubes together, and his tears could cure cancer, unfortunately he never cries! :)

As a leader on the team, he is going to have to get in players faces from time to time. And besides the guilty ones will probably be gone anyways...and they are the only ones that might want to take it out on him.

I hear what you're saying.

Philip is a leader...leader of the MANKATO WEST HS football team. He hasn't even signed a LOI for Minnesota. Young Philip has no business making these statements. A true leader would know that. He should say something like, "I can't wait to get on campus and help this program any way I can. Whatever Coach Kill wants me to do, I'll do it." You don't throw guys under the bus, especially when you're not even on the team!

Let me expose how little you know of Gopher football...

QBs in Gophers practice don't wear red jerseys. They wear gold ones.

Exposed! I'm probably a Badger or Hawkeye fan for not knowing that.

I hear what you're saying.

Philip is a leader...leader of the MANKATO WEST HS football team. He hasn't even signed a LOI for Minnesota. Young Philip has no business making these statements. A true leader would know that. He should say something like, "I can't wait to get on campus and help this program any way I can. Whatever Coach Kill wants me to do, I'll do it." You don't throw guys under the bus, especially when you're not even on the team!

True...he definitely spoke out of turn. But he is maturing as well and I suspect developing a little humility will help him as he does mature and learning not to throw people under the bus is another lesson. It would not surprise me if he did not even realize the impact of what he was saying.

Unfortunately the way the team is playing he is not saying something most don't recognize. Not saying it wont get under a few players skins, but he did not isolate any player in particular and I suspect Coach Kill will encourage him to refrain from sharing his present opinion of the current squad.

This kid has a solid 3.6, favorite subject is gov't and is a gifted thrower and runner, also graduating early to get started in January... yeah i'd say he has a better than 50/50 shot at starting in 2012.

Plus, I'm willing to bet a lot of the unmotivated/uncaring players are seniors from Brew's class who came here with the promise of rose bowls and only got HC and coordinator changes resulting to nothing but working "too" hard for a new coach. It really sucks for them, I can hardly blame 'em... but we have to focus on moving forward. Nelson will be a great start.

(also, speaking out of turn or being a gopher fan cynical of lack luster effort? He like any other Minnesotan are entitled to be criticizing of this team, especially if he's going to be asked to lead them as the Quarterback.)

Top Bottom