Brew Crew' Fianl Grade Not Pretty-Shama

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Brew Crew' Final Grade Not Pretty-Shama

Brew Crew’ Final Grade Not Pretty

Too bad Tim Brewster and his staff weren’t on the sidelines in Ann Arbor last Saturday to experience the Gophers 58-0 humiliation. The “Brew Crew” was responsible for recruiting most of the players on the Minnesota roster that was dismantled by Michigan.

If Brewster hadn’t been fired during the 2010 season he would now be in year five as Minnesota’s head coach. A five-year tenure is almost always enough time to fairly judge a coach and his staff.

Even though the “Brew Crew” is no longer wearing maroon and gold sweaters on the sidelines, we can issue the final grade: Flop.

What first year coach Jerry Kill inherited was a football team lacking not only playmakers, but physical and mental toughness. The Gophers are probably the worst team in the Big Ten and not even capable of beating schools from low level conferences such as the Missouri Valley and WAC.

Brewster hardly prepared us for this back in his early years on the job. He criticized the talent Glen Mason left him, although the rearview mirror now shows that players he inherited from the former Gophers' coach were the ones that produced some success in 2008 and 2009.

As for Brewster’s own recruiting, he was frequently over the top in exaggerating the talent he attracted. Brewster’s players were solidly entrenched last year and also this season. The record is 4 wins, 13 losses and counting including embarrassing defeats to South Dakota, North Dakota State and Michigan.

Brewster recruiting hype? Quarterback MarQueis Gray was similar to former Texas All-American Vince Young, Brewster said. Playmaker David Pittman, who hardly got on the field at Minnesota, was reminiscent of Antwaan Randle El.

Not able to land yet another top Minnesota prep headed for a better college program? Didn’t seem to bother Brewster who said he had a better stud coming from out east.

There was often the “sizzle” but not the “steak.” And Brewster didn’t even secure his much hyped high school son Nolan who landed at the University of Texas where dad built a reputation as a slick recruiter working for coach Mack Brown.

Hiring Brewster ─ never a coordinator or head coach at the major college level ─ was a colossal mistake. The program is so down right now that it could take three more seasons to pull it up to the Mason level of 2006. Mason was let go after compiling a 64-57 overall record, but was 16 games under .500 in the Big Ten.

Losses to USC, New Mexico State, and North Dakota State were by a combined 22 points. Last Saturday in Ann Arbor the Gophers lost to Michigan by the worst score in their Big Ten history.

After the game KFAN Radio named punter Dan Orseske Minnesota’s Offensive Player of the Game. The punter? Honest.

Building a major college football program requires coaching, recruiting and time. Brewster and staff squandered away all three at Minnesota.

Brew Crew' Final Grade Not Pretty-Shama

I can and will only make one short comment about your OP, MaxyJR1, which is about the content of your OP from Shama....

NO $HIT!

The thing is, this is the same defense that beat Iowa and Illinois last year, sans Collado and Edwards, but added Royston. This is a team that finished the year playing strong and really only got completely blown out by Ohio State. I'll point a finger and place it squarley on the coaching staff's shoulders.

I can guarantee you last years staff would not have gotten beat 58-0 by Michigan, talent my a$$. Something has been wrong and until I looked at the depth chart from last year I didn't realize how bad it was. They may not have won alot of games but they didn't get blown out.

The thing is, this is the same defense that beat Iowa and Illinois last year, sans Collado and Edwards, but added Royston. This is a team that finished the year playing strong and really only got completely blown out by Ohio State. I'll point a finger and place it squarley on the coaching staff's shoulders.

I can guarantee you last years staff would not have gotten beat 58-0 by Michigan, talent my a$$. Something has been wrong and until I looked at the depth chart from last year I didn't realize how bad it was. They may not have won alot of games but they didn't get blown out.
well said, this blow out is firmly on Kill's shoulders. I bet if Horton is still here as head coach this doesn't happen

well said, this blow out is firmly on Kill's shoulders. I bet if Horton is still here as head coach this doesn't happen

Fun, I'll try a meaningless, impossible to evaluate statement of my own:

I bet if Horton is still here as head coach Gophers lose to Michigan 84-0.

Fun, I'll try a meaningless, impossible to evaluate statement of my own:

I bet if Horton is still here as head coach Gophers lose to Michigan 84-0.
well at least with my statement we have at least something back it up, no one here will argue that this team was playing its best when Horton was the coach and its not crazy to state that this team is playing the worst it ever has under Kill.

jovs has a point. I was for dumping Brewster at the end of the season, but his teams were rarely blown out - just three times in four years. They were close in most of the losses in his first and fourth years and made bowls the other two years. This team just isn't motivated - somebody here said they are worn out from practice, others that they have checked out on this coaching staff. But there is something wrong THIS year beyond talent levels. It remains to be seen if there are multiple blow-outs this year, a la 1983.

Of the 11 guys that started on offense against Iowa, two started against Michigan this year.

On defense I see you conveniently left off Stoudermire and Theret. Stoudermire only led the team in tackles and forced two fumbles against Iowa and was the reason they had a chance to beat Illinois with his kickoff return. Collado had two tackles for loss and recovered a fumble against Iowa. Edwards had the only sack against Iowa.

But yeah, same team.

What's your point? Kill has said that some of the losses are due to poor coaching. Are you looking for some sort of repercussions? This loss alone isn't going to have any affect on Kill retaining his jump. This "this loss is on Kill's shoulders" after every loss is getting old. Let's not act like Kill's coaching cost this team a game. This team is bad in all aspects of the game. Coaching didn't lose the Michigan game neither did just the offense, defense, or special teams. It was a corroborative effort of awful. Here's hoping Kill can improve the team and his coaching and lead this team to some success. If not, here's hoping the administration can pick the right guy and he can pull it together.

Top Bottom